Movies The original Star Wars trilogy is no longer available to watch in its original form…

There's a non-anamorphic dvd that came with the special editions back in the day. Better yet there's the 4K project that scanned pristine prints of the original trilogy but it's Usenet only downloadable so you basically have to be part of newsgroups (which cost money). I keep on forgetting to join so I can get them.

…unless you have a VCR and the original VHS tapes. After reading what a disaster the new 4K release of American Graffiti is I just realized this about the Star Wars trilogy. Why does George Lucas continually tinker with his films when nearly all of the changes he makes are panned by fans? I know he’s already extremely wealthy but releasing the original trilogy as they were originally filmed in 4K would be a goldmine but Lucas is too stubborn and steadfast in his “artistic genius.”
They're on the DVDs as a bonus features. (It's why I haven't upgraded my DVDs)

I remember a long time ago, he swore he'd never release Star Wars on DVD, so when they finaly did it was a big deal.

To make more money, they should sell different versions. Make a new director's cut with the topless Jabba dancer. Do reshoots.

IDGAF if Han shot first. And the horrible CGI in Jabba's palace has unintentional comedic value.

Vader's "NNNOOOOOOO" before chucking Palpatine down the poop chute is the most egregious change. Was much better when he said nothing.

There are many options to acquire Star Wars in its original form. But not from a Jedi.

I didn't mind the new celebrations showing all the different Worlds but that new Peruvian Flute Band song was ass, Yub-Nub was the shit.

Jabba in Episode 4? Or did George mess up ROS too?
Yub nub FTW, never should messed with the song.

@Eusung love the Despecialized editions, the only way I watch them. On top of the song change, having Hayden in the end scene is preposterous, like Luke knows wtf that is.

And don't worry Mickey will bring the Originals out of the Disney vault in a couple years when he needs a cash infusion.
I'd actually pay for a professional 4K HDR recut of the OG trilogy. The way Disney is going, it may come sooner than later.

I always felt like Han shooting first made him cool and more rebellious.

I think the biggest changes happened around 1997 with CGI being much cheaper and readily available.

Spielberg did the same s*** with the guns on ET by transforming them into walkie talkies

I'd actually pay for a professional 4K HDR recut of the OG trilogy. The way Disney is going, it may come sooner than later.

The only edit I think ever really made sense was retconing Palpatine in Empire. Oh and dumping that awful Yoda puppet for CGI in Phantom Menace.

You never heard of Harmy's Despecialized editions? You can download for free in good quality. It's edited by a Czech guy using his laptop (using a combo of HDTV broadcasts, the Blu-ray, VHS, and laser disc editions).

Some scenes are kind of grainy(VHS) but most of it looks pretty good.

Seriously. The only way to watch em

TS do u even interwebz bro

Spielberg did the same s*** with the guns on ET by transforming them into walkie talkies

... all while quietly having an arsenal-level personal collection of firearms himself, & being a longtime member of the NRA

cf1c4531e2af09ea7965b21c3ce585c6.gif

lol love that Goldblum gif

both spielberg and lucas can eat shit and live.

also btw, I got some random bootleg box sets of movies some years ago from Japan of all places with films in their original format/content. The box set of all the James Bond movies, up until Daniel Craig anyway, is just fantastic. It even came with a ton of special features. All the writing is in Japanese but the films themselves are in timeless original form.

The only edit I think ever really made sense was retconing Palpatine in Empire. Oh and dumping that awful Yoda puppet for CGI in Phantom Menace.
I didn't even remember the OG Emperor.

He looks like Brian Peppers

Agreed on Yoda Puppet too. I thought the OG trilogy Puppet looked better. Looking at the phantom Menace now, it looks like he has botox done. Funny enough, it's that puppet look women get for the frozen upper lip/mouth when they botox lol.

My question is why hasn't Disney officially released the original versions? They are able to pump out all these crappy side projects that I doubt Lucas has cosigned. So they'll butcher the lore with a new official trilogy but can't release the theatrical version that all the die hard fans want to own?

I always felt like Han shooting first made him cool and more rebellious.

I think the biggest changes happened around 1997 with CGI being much cheaper and readily available.

Not only did it make him cooler and more rebellious, which are big deals when it comes to Han's character traits, since he sort of defines those character traits above anyone else in our culture, but it shows that he's dangerous, and above all, a survivor, who has thrived despite being dealth a hard knocks life typical to what most citizens experience in the post-Republic Sith imperial galaxy.

…unless you have a VCR and the original VHS tapes. After reading what a disaster the new 4K release of American Graffiti is I just realized this about the Star Wars trilogy. Why does George Lucas continually tinker with his films when nearly all of the changes he makes are panned by fans? I know he’s already extremely wealthy but releasing the original trilogy as they were originally filmed in 4K would be a goldmine but Lucas is too stubborn and steadfast in his “artistic genius.”
Lucas doesn't own Star Wars anymore, and therefore this would not be up to Lucas. Disney owns Star Wars now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back