Movies The original Star Wars trilogy is no longer available to watch in its original form…

StewDogg11

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
…unless you have a VCR and the original VHS tapes. After reading what a disaster the new 4K release of American Graffiti is I just realized this about the Star Wars trilogy. Why does George Lucas continually tinker with his films when nearly all of the changes he makes are panned by fans? I know he’s already extremely wealthy but releasing the original trilogy as they were originally filmed in 4K would be a goldmine but Lucas is too stubborn and steadfast in his “artistic genius.”

Lucas has been changing the movie for every release starting in mid 1977. Unless you saw it near opening day in May 1977, you haven't likely seen the original version.

I have not problem with this, provided all versions are available, which they aren't.

You never heard of Harmy's Despecialized editions? You can download for free in good quality. It's edited by a Czech guy using his laptop (using a combo of HDTV broadcasts, the Blu-ray, VHS, and laser disc editions).

Some scenes are kind of grainy(VHS) but most of it looks pretty good.

You never heard of Harmy's Despecialized editions? You can download for free in good quality. It's edited by a Czech guy using his laptop (using a combo of HDTV broadcasts, the Blu-ray, VHS, and laser disc editions).

Some scenes are kind of grainy(VHS) but most of it looks pretty good.

Nope. I was more talking about official releases. I wasn’t aware there was a somewhat original version on Blu Ray. I thought all subsequent releases following the 20th anniversary were heavily tinkered with.

I just checked Disney+, they're listed and have the old dates. I didn't see anything about remasters or such.

I just checked Disney+, they're listed and have the old dates. I didn't see anything about remasters or such.

Of course they’re going to have the original release dates on them lol. But if you watched them I bet Han doesn’t shoot first.

Han Shot first

Jedi Rock sucks, new Sarlac sucks Yub-Yub forever

I did like Jabba in Ep3
Bespin in Empire

I didn't mind the new celebrations showing all the different Worlds but that new Peruvian Flute Band song was ass, Yub-Nub was the shit.

Jabba in Episode 4? Or did George mess up ROS too?

I didn't mind the new celebrations showing all the different Worlds but that new Peruvian Flute Band song was ass, Yub-Nub was the shit.

Jabba in Episode 4? Or did George mess up ROS too?

Ep 4 was ANH I'm tired and i fucked up

And don't worry Mickey will bring the Originals out of the Disney vault in a couple years when he needs a cash infusion.

The unaltered versions were actually put out as extras on one of the latter DVD releases but not in very good quality, still better than VHS though.

Yeah Lucas continually adjusted or "updated" things. It was a shame. Ill never forget when I saw mannakin skywalker at the end of ROTJ instead of the original vader/annakin and being like "what the fuck gayden christiansen!"

Glad I kept the VHS. Lucas did this shit with THX as well. It's greed. That's also what killed Star Wars when he sold it off for a bunch of women to destroy.

Back