The Omoplata

R

richieb19

I have seen this subimission attempted a few times but Ive never seen anyone win a fight by a tapout to it...anyone got an example?

me in training ha, nah i was thinking the same thing ive seen fighters come close like belfort in his last fight at cage rage was pretty close but they always manage to roll out of it!!

Yeah i don't think i've seen one fight in MMA won by this submission.

It is a tricky submission to finish with as it is easy to roll out of, i haven't seen it used to finish anyone in any big organisations in the past, i may be forgetting something though. It's probably because people go for armbars or triangles when in that position

royce gracie beat sumo wrestler akibono with the omaplata

Yeah, I think Mir beat Williams by Omaplata but I could be wrong. Either way it was a sick-ass submission by Mir.

it's rarely a finishing move. it's kinda like a kimura from the guard, most won't tap to it, but will be forced to give up the position.

Brett88lx said:
Yeah, I think Mir beat Williams by Omaplata but I could be wrong. Either way it was a sick-ass submission by Mir.

That wasn't an omoplata, but it was an awesome move, dunno what to call it though

Riggs went for the omoplata vs lytle recently but lytle just rolled out of it

There was some Omo-plata win, but i can't remember at which event :(

jdgbmf said:
royce gracie beat sumo wrestler akibono with the omaplata
it was wrist lock coming from an omoplata i think dude!

richieb19 said:
I have seen this subimission attempted a few times but Ive never seen anyone win a fight by a tapout to it...anyone got an example?

Who is that freak of nature in your avatar?? IT looks like a juiced up Shamrock.

Brett88lx said:
Shoulder lock

Brett88lx said:

Mir beat Williams with an unorthodox shoulder lock.

Mir looked like he was gonna use a omaplata on tank then moves to a ankle lock type thing, the only one i can think of is royce and the sumo. sumo was to big to roll out of it.

the reason its so easy to roll out, is because people use the submission as a means to improve position, you can easily roll your opponent and get side mount. In MMA, the position game is huge

Omo Plata is used more as a sweep. It is not really a sub move in MMA.

This is a wee bit random, but I'm pretty sure Buckler took out Cajnak in a recent Bushido event via the omoplata.

richieb19 said:
I'm convinced it doesn't exist. Rogan just likes the word...

SimbaJones said:
Who is that freak of nature in your avatar?? IT looks like a juiced up Shamrock.
Shamrock during the Frye fight

As far as the omoplata goes tho...I mean it IS har to keep hooked in, but its EXTREMELY painful, thats why im wondering why noones (that i know of) tapped to it

Back