The Official "Show your Stuff" Thread:

The wait time on my last 3 sbr's was around 30 days. E-filing made it so easy.
Welp, guess I might go that route then. In the next year I'm likely going to take the Suppressor plunge anyways so.

Welp, guess I might go that route then. In the next year I'm likely going to take the Suppressor plunge anyways so.
Buying a suppressor....different story. That will probably take 6 months to a year to get the stamp. Same with buying an sbr. Building a suppressor, sbs, or sbr and getting the stamp is rather quick. You can even roll your own prints and send them in.

Buying a suppressor....different story. That will probably take 6 months to a year to get the stamp. Same with buying an sbr. Building a suppressor, sbs, or sbr and getting the stamp is rather quick. You can even roll your own prints and send them in.
The suppressor is just me wanting ot have one to play with mostly.

The converstion of a pistol to an SBR is so I can put a true vertical type grip on the thing without worrying.

The suppressor is just me wanting ot have one to play with mostly.

The converstion of a pistol to an SBR is so I can put a true vertical type grip on the thing without worrying.
I understand completely. Pick whatever stock and foregrip you want and be done.
Suppressors are awesome...but still loud on a 5.56.

I understand completely. Pick whatever stock and foregrip you want and be done.
Suppressors are awesome...but still loud on a 5.56.
My suppressor would likely spend more time on my 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun or the .308 Mk12 clone I am working on than the 5.56.

I'd just get a Sandman M from Deadair that is built for the .308 and then I can use it on 5.56 too.

My suppressor would likely spend more time on my 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun or the .308 Mk12 clone I am working on than the 5.56.

I'd just get a Sandman M from Deadair that is built for the .308 and then I can use it on 5.56 too.
Sounds like a plan....a very dangerous one.

I just want one sbr....damnit.
I will leave this one as a pistol....damnit.
Just one suppressor....damnit.
And it keeps going.

Sounds like a plan....a very dangerous one.

I just want one sbr....damnit.
I will leave this one as a pistol....damnit.
Just one suppressor....damnit.
And it keeps going.
DUDE.

It WAS
"I got a 1911 for my 21st, now all I need is an AR15 and I will be done"

Now... I have built 3 AR15s, am in the process of building an AR10, have two different 1911s, a Glock 23 with conversion barrel, a CZ P10C...

And the list has still grown.

DUDE.

It WAS
"I got a 1911 for my 21st, now all I need is an AR15 and I will be done"

Now... I have built 3 AR15s, am in the process of building an AR10, have two different 1911s, a Glock 23 with conversion barrel, a CZ P10C...

And the list has still grown.
So you understand then....and it never stops.....or it just morphs. I just want this really awesome optic in a certain mount. Just one....damnit.

BTW...once I figured out how easy e-filing was...shit. I went a little crazy.

So you understand then....and it never stops.....or it just morphs. I just want this really awesome optic in a certain mount. Just one....damnit.

BTW...once I figured out how easy e-filing was...shit. I went a little crazy.
This AR-10 will likely get a like 3-15 FFP from Vortex if I can find one that has exposed turrets. The 6.5 I want to save up and get the top end Razor for it.

This AR-10 will likely get a like 3-15 FFP from Vortex if I can find one that has exposed turrets. The 6.5 I want to save up and get the top end Razor for it.
I have a razor gen 2 hd in a geissele mount on one of my Ar's. Absolutely amazing.

rfUGBXr.jpg

Gen 2 in a Geissele mount

My odin works atlas 5 finally came today. Done on her, for now. Until I get another idea at least

Attachments

• 20201023_145813.jpg
    20201023_145813.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20201023_145826.jpg
    20201023_145826.jpg
    886.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20201023_145835.jpg
    20201023_145835.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
My understanding is that the brace must be fully collapsed. Yours is not. Again. I would. Not. Post. This.

Again, it needs to be over 26" with the brace collapsed.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Under Federal law, a “handgun” means “a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand….” 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(29). Under an implementing regulation of the National Firearms Act (“NFA”), 27 C.F.R. § 479.11, a “pistol” is defined as:

A weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

The NFA defines the term “firearm” to include, among other things, an “any other weapon, as defined in subsection (e).” Id. The NFA defines the term “any other weapon” (“AOW”) as:

… any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.

26 U.S.C. § 5845(e); see also 27 C.F.R. § 479.11. Importantly, pistols are excluded within the definition of an AOW.

The ATF has long held that by installing a vertical gore grip on a handgun or pistol, the handgun or pistol is no longer designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand. As a result, it no longer qualifies as a handgun or pistol under Federal statutes and regulations. Additionally, since it is no longer a handgun or pistol, it is not exempt from being classified as an AOW. Therefore, if an individual installs a vertical fore grip onto a handgun or pistol, he or she is “making” a firearm under the NFA, specifically, an AOW. Under the NFA, the term “make” includes “manufacturing, putting together, altering, any combination of these, or producing a firearm.” 26 U.S.C. § 5845(i).

On June 25, 2019, the ATF clarified its position regarding how overall length for firearms using stabilizing braces should be measured. If the stabilizing brace is stationary, only standard receiver extensions are considered in overall length measurements. For example, accessories (extensions) that have superfluous material are not included in the overall length measurement. However, when a device operating as a stabilizing brace is attached to a firearm using a folding or collapsing mechanism, overall length is measured with the brace in the folded or collapsed position. Otherwise, a firearm could avoid classification as an AOW, yet retain the concealability and functionality of an AOW.

Summary

Pistols are not regulated by the NFA. Pistols are excluded from the definition of AOW.

If you add a fore grip to a pistol, the ATF no longer classifies it as a pistol. It becomes an AOW, which is regulated by the NFA.

If the overall length of the firearm is 26 inches or more, it is not “capable of being concealed on the person.” If you add a fore grip to the firearm, it does not become an AOW, nor is it regulated by the NFA. However, if you conceal it on your person, it becomes an AOW, which is regulated by the NFA.

Muzzle devices are not included in overall length. Only standard receiver extensions are considered in overall length measurements. If the firearm is equipped with a stabilizing brace and a folding or collapsing adapter, overall length is measured with the brace in the folded or collapsed position.

It is illegal to make or possess unregistered AOWs. If you want to add a vertical fore grip to your pistol, file an ATF Form 1 application to register it as an AOW, or better yet, an SBR.

I'll edit to add - you can do whatever you want. I have over a dozen tax stamps. I've been doing this for a long time. I know the laws and don't get anywhere near the lines. I have a TS clearance and cannot afford to fuck up. I know a lot of people #YOLO and do whatever they want because they know the chance of getting convicted by the ATF for some dumb shit like a foregrip is close to zero. But those people aren't posting stuff on the internet.

Last edited:
Look closer again at the first picture. It is collapsed. The picture with the brace fully extended is showing that despite the ATF going after braces with a LOP of more than 13.5" even then it's well short. What I'm showing s that what the ATF is trying to do to Q and the honey badger is completely arbitrary. They even measure the LOP on an angle instead of parallel like they mandated.

I honestly can't see your first picture. I am only going off your third picture showing the brace at full extension and the tape measure next to it.

I wouldn't bet my dog's life on a mouth breathing ATF agent being able to either.

Yeah I just couldn't make out the tape measure marks on the first photo.

Back