• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Next Low Carb Nutrition Thread

Just want to back this man up - Stevia is great. It takes a few times to get used to the taste, but when you do its as good or better than sugar.

I tried Stevia in tea a few times and didn't like it, it seemed to have a bitter taste, maybe I used too much of it. I might give it another shot. Do you use liquid or powder? I think I used a liquid of some sort.

Does Stevia work well for baking and sauces?

Personally I'm against throwing pills at carb cravings. I'd focus on honing my nutrition (e.g. adequate fat intake, hydration, satisfactory carb-ups, etc.) and expanding my repertoire in the kitchen to surmount that problem.

And as far as blunting insulin response, it wouldn't surprise me if all these costly mimetics were no more effective than a glass of diluted ACV or teaspoon of cinnamon.

I second this, especially expanding the repertoire. I remember you posted some good curry mixes, and I had it bookmarked on my laptop before it died. Do you mind reposting the link? I'm excited to try my hand at some curried chicken/beef.

Well prepared indian food > artificial sweeteners

I tried Stevia in tea a few times and didn't like it, it seemed to have a bitter taste, maybe I used too much of it. I might give it another shot. Do you use liquid or powder? I think I used a liquid of some sort.

Does Stevia work well for baking and sauces?

Powder.

Amazon.com: Stevita Supreme - 50pkts - 1.8 oz / Packet: Health & Personal Care

It can be overwhelming if you use too much - its 1000x more potent than sugar, and that's not an over-exaggeration. It's best if you mix it in with other ingredients so it gives a subtle sweetness to whatever your eating. I often mix it with flax seed and peanut butter to create a sweet, low-carb, high protein and high fiber snack. I'm making almond milk soon and am going to add a few packets in per batch too.

Don't eat that crap man. Look at the website. Look at how damn shady it is. It doesn't even list ingredients.

If you want carbs just have a cheat meal. Buy a pizza and eat it. And then go back onto your nutrition plan for the rest of the week.

The website isn't shady, it is actually a great company. I have been using their products for a number of years now.

I just thought it was an interesting product for this thread. Some people use glucose disposal agents on this diet.

How do you guys feel your performance is while on low carb?

I am eating a calorie restricted diet so my results may not be typical, but I feel that my cardio hasn't suffered at all But my explosive power has.

I am trying to drop bodyfat, so this isn't a concern to me. I actually perform better cardio wise on low carb.

I have been on the AD diet now for almost 4 weeks and its going pretty alright I guess. Started on a wednesday with cutting carbs to about less than 30g per day for the next 9 days, and then started the 2 day carb up and then 5 days of high fat low carb again. I have been extremely sedentary, so results arent really that great, but then again I dont have much weight to lose (Im already below 170lbs), just want to lose some BF%.
Anyway as soon as my injury heals I will be training again and hopefully the combined exercises with the diet will lower my BF.
Since my college starts next month and I will be away from home from about 730am to 4pm...what could be a good way to stay on this diet. Right now I cook 2 to 3 meals a day and am at home pretty much all day, so I am not sure what high fat low carb meals I can consume while being away from home?

I have been on the AD diet now for almost 4 weeks and its going pretty alright I guess. Started on a wednesday with cutting carbs to about less than 30g per day for the next 9 days, and then started the 2 day carb up and then 5 days of high fat low carb again. I have been extremely sedentary, so results arent really that great, but then again I dont have much weight to lose (Im already below 170lbs), just want to lose some BF%.
Anyway as soon as my injury heals I will be training again and hopefully the combined exercises with the diet will lower my BF.
Since my college starts next month and I will be away from home from about 730am to 4pm...what could be a good way to stay on this diet. Right now I cook 2 to 3 meals a day and am at home pretty much all day, so I am not sure what high fat low carb meals I can consume while being away from home?

Are you able to access a microwave? Even places like gas stations have microwaves inside that you can pop in and ask to heat something up for you.

If not one of my staples on the road is hard boiled eggs. I put them in tupperware with some salt and pepper and they are easy to eat cold.

Protein shakes, avocado, cashews, almonds, Deli meat, beef jerky, cheese, etc.

Just be creative and on this diet you won't be as hungry. So if you eat a nice big breakfast you should be able to get through the rest of the day until you can get home and cook something up.

Really you can eat anything on the road as long as you don't mind eating cold food. I do this a lot, but it takes some time to get used to.

Some lunch ideas:
cheese and kalbasa
Protein shake and avocado
Hardboiled eggs + diced up deli meat + cheese
protein shake + peanut butter

Not sure yet if I am able to access a microwave, but I am an not a huge fan of those anyway. I do not mind eating cold, and even now sometimes when I do not feel like cooking I eat some deli meat and some cheese but that doesnt really feel like a meal. Snacking barely makes me full. Thats why I like this diet during the week because I make full meals, during the weekend when I do carb up I dont really make meals I just snack all weekend kind of... Maybe thats where I go wrong :O But yeah I will probably take a shake with me on some days, although that doesnt really fill me up

For a decent packed lunch, the night before I usually fill a tupperware box with 3-4 rashers of bacon (best well-cooked) wrapped in foil, hardboiled eggs, soft cheese and crackers, deli meats/sausage and some kind of salad.

Added to that you can throw in a protein bar, flax bread (sometimes as a sandwich but often it's fine on it's own), coconut flour & cheese bread (ditto), low carb chocolate, creamed coconut, and of course you've got the option of a shake.

All that amounts to a pretty good meal I find. It takes about 15 minutes to put together, you can put it in the fridge overnight and nothing needs reheating.

(All the recipes can be found in the LC recipe thread)

If you don't think a protein shake will fill you up, add coconut milk to it or cream.

It will be much more filling.

If you aren't eating low enough to go into ketosis, say 100-200g of carbs a day.... at that point does it become just a matter of calories & eating clean or is cutting carbs still beneficial.

EX: Say you're at like 150g of carbs for the day. Would eating like 150 calories worth of fruit ( mostly carbs ) be better for you than say 200 calories worth of cheese ( very little carbs ) or vice versa for fat loss?

Not PWO or anything either.

That depends specifically on individual carbohydrate tolerance.

799687711_d22112ca6b.jpg

Now on my 3rd day of no carbs again and I am still not in ketosis, according to Ketostix. Last week I wasnt on ketosis either on fridaynight (1 day before carb up day). What gives?

Now on my 3rd day of no carbs again and I am still not in ketosis, according to Ketostix. Last week I wasnt on ketosis either on fridaynight (1 day before carb up day). What gives?

I think for anyone to answer this we would need details from your food log.

Still too many carbs? Is it your first time without carbs? Also, the sticks might not show many ketones if you drink plenty or use up most of them...

Basically I am eating eggs/bacon for breakfast. Snacks are usually cheese strings or pepperoni or something. Lunch is something like some sausage or grilled chicken. Dinner is red meat (steak/ground beef) with some broccoli or spinach. I cook in butter, and for dinner usually have some amount of mayonaise (love it ;D). During breakfast I have 3 fish oil pills and a vitamin pill as supplement. So basically I am very low carb, definitely below 30g. I drink up to or about a gallon of water a day. No coffee/tea or anything. I maybe drink a few 100ml of Powerade Zero for electrolytes (cause Sinister said so! :)
I have been on the diet since June 29th, and have had carb ups the past 3 weekend.

Basically I am eating eggs/bacon for breakfast. Snacks are usually cheese strings or pepperoni or something. Lunch is something like some sausage or grilled chicken. Dinner is red meat (steak/ground beef) with some broccoli or spinach. I cook in butter, and for dinner usually have some amount of mayonaise (love it ;D). During breakfast I have 3 fish oil pills and a vitamin pill as supplement. So basically I am very low carb, definitely below 30g. I drink up to or about a gallon of water a day. No coffee/tea or anything. I maybe drink a few 100ml of Powerade Zero for electrolytes (cause Sinister said so! :)
I have been on the diet since June 29th, and have had carb ups the past 3 weekend.

My guess?

You are probably drinking too much water to register on the ketostix. I think they are checking for a certain concentration of ketones, lots of water effectively dilutes your urine.

Back