• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Next Low Carb Nutrition Thread

This, although without the brazen sentiment. I can't stand the fact that people casually throw around the term "keto diet" like it should have any place in weight training regimens. Keto diets are explicitly for certain medical conditions, and if anyone who doesn't need to be on one truly follows a real keto diet they will be doing serious harm to their body.

Idiotic sites like BodyBuilding.com have fed this idea of "keto diets" into the masses constantly and so many bros fall for it it's disgusting. Talk to any certified dietition, physician, etc. and they'll tell you the truth; ignore all this other junk.

Kind of like how coconut oil was banned many years ago because all the professionals said it was so bad for you and now it's magically considered one of the healthiest oils you can cook with?

Low carb dieting is nothing new, I don't get why some people on the forum think it's unique to this site and bodybuilding.com, the basic idea of eating low carb has been around for a long time and is practiced by many people.

FMF, totally a waste of energy to address that sort of thing.

Kind of like how coconut oil was banned many years ago because all the professionals said it was so bad for you and now it's magically considered one of the healthiest oils you can cook with?

Low carb dieting is nothing new, I don't get why some people on the forum think it's unique to this site and bodybuilding.com, the basic idea of eating low carb has been around for a long time and is practiced by many people.

Yes, I saw some old video with a news reporter smashing the fast food outlets who were cooking there popcorn in "artery clogging saturated coconut fat". They had some vigilante action faction consumer group band together to force them to change over to "heart healthy hydrogenated trans-oils".

So, since starting a ketogenic/super low carb diet on June 9 I have lost 42 lbs (i'm at 395 right now). Amazingly, I accomplished this with just a nutritional plan (and some occasional weight lifting when I ran into a plateau) due to a leg infection that has kept me from doing any intense cardio.

My new typical day's nutrition is:

80-150 ounces of water

multivitamin

fishoil

calcium

4 egg omelet in the morning, often with 2 pieces of bacon and 2 pieces of cheese, pepper and onion

snack: 2 tbsp flaxseed, 2tbsp peanut butter, cinammon, stevia

dinner: beef patty/chicken with cheese (no buns etc), sometimes steak, some fiber plant, usually broccoli although i have been experimenting with avocado recently, and will try artichoke soon

6 pm - to when i wake up intermittent fast

The biggest thing I have learned is that my biology (endomorph) is very sensitive to carbs. If I eat ANY true carbs like breads (even if they are multigrain/whole wheat) my weight loss stalls or I gain weight. I was eating "healthy" carbs prior to this, and was also doing high amounts of intense cardio (Boxing) and still was not losing weight, or gained. I also don't lose weight unless I feel hungry - I have come to love the feeling of hunger rather than be uncomfortable with it. During my intermittent fast period I know I am burning fat.

Another big lesson is not to fear fat in foods. While I think combining high fat and carbs is a recipe for disaster, if you are in a ketogenic state like myself, you need lots of fats (converted to ketones) to replace the glycogen that was once being used for energy.

Last edited:
So, since starting a ketogenic/super low carb diet on June 9 I have lost 42 lbs (i'm at 395 right now). Amazingly, I accomplished this with just a nutritional plan (and some occasional weight lifting when I ran into a plateau) due to a leg infection that has kept me from doing any intense cardio.

My new typical day's nutrition is:

80-150 ounces of water

multivitamin

fishoil

calcium

4 egg omelet in the morning, often with 2 pieces of bacon and 2 pieces of cheese, pepper and onion

snack: 2 tbsp flaxseed, 2tbsp peanut butter, cinammon, stevia

dinner: beef patty/chicken with cheese (no buns etc), sometimes steak, some fiber plant, usually broccoli although i have been experimenting with avocado recently, and will try artichoke soon

6 pm - to when i wake up intermittent fast

The biggest thing I have learned is that my biology (endomorph) is very sensitive to carbs. If I eat ANY true carbs like breads (even if they are multigrain/whole wheat) my weight loss stalls or I gain weight. I also don't lose weight unless I feel hungry - I have come to love the feeling of hunger rather than be uncomfortable with it. During my intermittent fast period I know I am burning fat.

Another big lesson is not to fear fat in foods. While I think combining high fat and carbs is a recipe for disaster, if you are in a ketogenic state like myself, you need lots of fats (converted to ketones) to replace the glycogen that was once being used for energy.

Congratulations on your progress thus far. Experimenting/trying new keto-friendly foods is a great way to adhere to a LC diet. Check out the LC recipe thread if you haven't. Also, Marks Daily Apple has some really good low carb recipes that I'm looking forward to trying out myself.

Question for Sinister: I remember you saying you often drink Sobe Life Water. I found a 12 pack in our fridge, and the calorie count is apparently 0 per serving, but the carb count is 6g per serving. I thought that there were 4 calories/gram for carbs... Does the artificial sweetener in this not have any insulin response? What's the deal?

The sweetener should be erythritol, which is a sugar alcohol. No response there. I'm not sure what the total carb count listing is, if that's them accounting for any caloric value of the sugar alcohol (which could be), or if it's something inherent in the juice extracts they use. Sounds like something to call the company about. But I've not seen them raise anyone's blood-glucose.

The sweetener should be erythritol, which is a sugar alcohol. No response there. I'm not sure what the total carb count listing is, if that's them accounting for any caloric value of the sugar alcohol (which could be), or if it's something inherent in the juice extracts they use. Sounds like something to call the company about. But I've not seen them raise anyone's blood-glucose.

That was the second ingredient there, actually. They listed some carrot juice extract, and also modified food starch (which by name makes me think carbs).

Regardless, the 6g of carbs yet no calories is baffling to me. I just figured since you said you drink it often that you might have an idea. I'll see if I can email them about it.

Yeah, the thing about those "facts" labels is they're regulated by the FDA, and the FDA has loopholes that don't make sense. That modified food starch could be it, because if it's modified in a way that changes the chemical structure and response in the body (or if it's a very very small molecule), then it might be a case where it has to be listed according to FDA guidelines as a carbohydrate, but not necessarily as a calorie.

It's not something I worried about expressly because for me, personally. The sugar being 0 is more important. The total carb count is low enough even when factored that I stay below where I want to in a day.

Oh, same here. I just realize that the carb count is 15g per bottle, and I can easily down the entire thing if I want to, so I think that 15g in one sitting is a lot, or at least more than I'm used to, considering the 50g a day limit. It's more of a precautionary thing than anything else.

Yeah, I'm a little obsessive compulsive when it comes to this stuff.

I tried reading the 0-cal FAQ on the SoBe website, but it seems that the website design is a little flawed (i tried it in firefox, safari, and chrome, and I couldn't get the actual content to scroll down further). But from Pepsi's ingredient list, here's modified food starch:

"Food starch is a polysaccharide which means that it is made up of many simple sugars that are linked together by chemical bonds (glycosidic bonds) to form a long chain of sugar molecules. Modified food starch is manufactured by treating starch (usually corn based) to break the starch into shorter chains of sugar molecules. This process produces a starch that has more desirable and useful characteristics such as improved solubility, acid stability and texture. Modified food starch is used in foods as a thickener, binder and stabilizer. It also gives foods and beverages a desirable mouth feel."

Pepsi Product Information

Here's the one I drank today:

Pepsi Product Information (Lifewater with PureVia, Black and Blueberry...might not load to that product, so find it in the scroll down menu).

In moderation are sugar free candies ok on a low carb diet? I checked out several brands at the local grocer and they all seem to have maltitol, other than explosive craps is there anything to worry about eating sugar free products with Maltitol in it?

I've read some conflicting reports about it. From what I understand it can increase glucose levels but doesn't spike insulin and your body doesn't absorb it like sugar.

Does it matter where Maltitol shows up on the ingredient list? Most of them seem like they also use Splenda so I am assuming they would use a little less Maltitol.

Are there any good brands or site's that sell non Maltitol candies or is it nothign to worry about?

I tried the Breyers low carb Ice Cream and it has Sorbitol, I only eat one serving on days that I try it and it doesn't seem to have a negative affect on my colon or weight.

Edit: Another question I have is what is the best sugar substitute to use for baking and making sauces? I am looking at making a low carb BBQ sauce from a recipe I have and cutting out the sugar and honey it's only about 2 carbs per tablespoon so I could get by with light usage but what is the best for something like that, sorbitol, xylitol (SP?) etc.

Last edited:
MD's Ultimate Glucose Disposal Agent

What do you guys think about this product?

I've been getting some carb cravings real bad lately, might need to give this a test run. And it might come in handy during these summer BBQ's

I've been getting some carb cravings real bad lately, might need to give this a test run. And it might come in handy during these summer BBQ's

Personally I'm against throwing pills at carb cravings. I'd focus on honing my nutrition (e.g. adequate fat intake, hydration, satisfactory carb-ups, etc.) and expanding my repertoire in the kitchen to surmount that problem.

And as far as blunting insulin response, it wouldn't surprise me if all these costly mimetics were no more effective than a glass of diluted ACV or teaspoon of cinnamon.

Don't eat that crap man. Look at the website. Look at how damn shady it is. It doesn't even list ingredients.

If you want carbs just have a cheat meal. Buy a pizza and eat it. And then go back onto your nutrition plan for the rest of the week.

The ingredients are listed. Just not the nutrition facts. It's a standard issue blood-glucose pill. There are cheaper versions with similar ingredients.

Can someone tell me about yogurt. I've just started making it at home and it's going really well (had a few bad experiences with excess geletin added though).

I use a litre of made-up milk from powder and add the culture. I read somewhere that during the fermentation process a lot of the lactose is destroyed lowering the carb count, is that true? I also remember reading that most of the carbs are in the liquid whey, so if you strain a lot of the whey the carb content will be even lower.

In moderation are sugar free candies ok on a low carb diet? I checked out several brands at the local grocer and they all seem to have maltitol, other than explosive craps is there anything to worry about eating sugar free products with Maltitol in it?

I've read some conflicting reports about it. From what I understand it can increase glucose levels but doesn't spike insulin and your body doesn't absorb it like sugar.

Does it matter where Maltitol shows up on the ingredient list? Most of them seem like they also use Splenda so I am assuming they would use a little less Maltitol.

Are there any good brands or site's that sell non Maltitol candies or is it nothign to worry about?

I tried the Breyers low carb Ice Cream and it has Sorbitol, I only eat one serving on days that I try it and it doesn't seem to have a negative affect on my colon or weight.

Edit: Another question I have is what is the best sugar substitute to use for baking and making sauces? I am looking at making a low carb BBQ sauce from a recipe I have and cutting out the sugar and honey it's only about 2 carbs per tablespoon so I could get by with light usage but what is the best for something like that, sorbitol, xylitol (SP?) etc.

I read that out of all the polyol Artificial sweeteners that Maltitol produces the highest insulin response, it also gives some people stomach troubles. I still eat candy and atkins bars with it in it myself and I have no problems. Different people have different responses to those type of things though.

Back