• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Next Low Carb Nutrition Thread

Any tasty recipes I can eat metric fucktons of without worrying about calories? Ever since I got on carbs again, I've had mad cravings. The worst of the excess has been grazed off, and I'm slowly normalizing my intake and tapering the carbs off, but any tips on how to supress appetite are welcome at this point.

Any tasty recipes I can eat metric fucktons of without worrying about calories? Ever since I got on carbs again, I've had mad cravings. The worst of the excess has been grazed off, and I'm slowly normalizing my intake and tapering the carbs off, but any tips on how to supress appetite are welcome at this point.

Drinking lots of water (which you should be doing anyways) curbs the appetite. As far as foods, I find that Deviled eggs does the trick. They're easy to make and delicious. Eat 2-3 of them and you don't want to look at food anymore. Here's a link to the recipe I use. I love spicy food so I go a little crazy with the cayenne.

Deviled Eggs Recipe - Every Day with Rachael Ray

(My other thread is getting lost so maybe this is a better place to post about keto questions)

Whew, ok, I just finished reading all 130 pages of the thread, not at once, and it has been a great source of information thanks to Sinister and several others with a lot of good advice, this thing could be converted into a book. Why was it locked, other than having 12,000 posts in it, lol. I think it should be stickied also.

I never realized there could be such a problem consuming carbs, it makes a lot of sense to me after reading up on it and considering the carb commas and the fact I have been watching calories pretty good the last year but not drop in weight, but I ate a lot of carbs, 90% clean.

My first impressions. I started the keto diet about 14 days ago today, last Monday I did a carb up for a 24 hr period, I don't think I really needed to it was more mental and due to schedule. So far I have lost about 11 pounds, I know a good portion of that is water, I would imagine water retention has been depleted so I am going to keep a close eye on my weight and see how it goes. I didn't have too many problems at the start, mild headaches, some fatigue and really weird soreness in my muscles while weight lifting the first week, weird taste in mouth, I've been sick the last week so haven't worked out much. I am amazed at how this reduces your appetite, if I'm not careful I have a hard time eating enough calories. I miss things like bread but all in all I think this is a good diet because I can still eat a lot of foods I really like. At first I didn't think I could do this long term like for years but as I go longer I think it will be easier. At this point I will probably do this diet for a good while and then maybe change to moderate carbs for a little bit and see how it goes and then go back, even just to break up the routine if needed.

Some tips from my little experience doing this diet but others might find useful: Roasted Pumkin seeds are great and very low net carb, Spanish peanuts with skin are great and lower net carb than most other nuts I looked at, sunflower seeds are good low carb.

If you have a glucose monitor look on Ebay or Amazon and you can find the strips a lot cheaper, just watch the expiration date.

If you have a smart phone a App like "Tap n Track" will be indispensable along with book marking nutrition sites for places you like to eat so you can make sure you are eating low carb. You can also add common foods you eat at home so all you have to do is tap Beef Brisket and you can enter the ounces and your done.

Sam's has smoked Beef Brisket in their meat section and all you have to do is put in a pan, add a little water and bake for x amount of time. It is really good and a nice quick meat you can prepare if you don't have a lot of time. Once you bake you can also nuke it. The whole thing is pretty big so I divide it into serving size portions, wrap in saran wrap, wrap that in foil and put in the freezer.

Buffalo Wild Wings doesn't bread their wings and some of the sauces have very little carbs per serving so that may be a good eating out option if you want something easy.

Lite dressing sucks big time, loaded with carbs compared to regular like Ranch for example. Still have to watch it but a table spoon here and there won't add a lot of carbs and will add some variety to what you eat.

I still have a few questions, they may be in the thread somewhere but if it was I missed it. I took a lot of notes too and need to continue looking over them as time goes on.

My Goals: Mainly is to lose body fat, about 25% right now according to the Omron tester. I don't want to lose lean mass but at this point gaining more lean mass is not top priority, lowering BF% is top priority. Current weight is 263

Some questions I still have:

Protein- 1 gram per lbs of LBM for me is about 195 - 200 grams, over the past two weeks I have been getting about 100 - 150 grams a day. My rations are about 60% fat, 35% pro, 5% carb (20-30 carbs). and I am eating around 1800 - 2300 calories, 2300 when I work out. Am I hurting myself eating under 200 grams of protein or will I just not gain more mass? I don't mind not gaining for the time being but I don't want to lose.

Glucose monitor - From the other thread to get a base line you should test in the morning and on the second drop if I remember Sinisters recommendation correctly. To calculate the margin of error could I use a Keto Stix and if I show I am pissing ketones and my blood test shows 70 is it safe to figure there is a margin of about 20 points? In other words if you show positive on the keto stick is that an indication that your blood sugar is 50 or below? Should I go to the doctors office to get a professional job done and simultaneously test with the home device to see the variance?

I'm still a little fuzzy on how to use the glucose monitor to determine how you handle certain foods. If my normal level is 50, and I drink a cup of milk, when do I want to test and what is a acceptable level increase and what is a red alert increase? And does it make any differences as far as doing a keto diet and how many carbs you can eat or is this more for general life changes that you need to make with what you eat.

Plateau - I have experienced this before after losing 40 lbs and really got frustrated, when this happens again after being on this diet for a while how long should I mix things up before going back to the normal keto diet?

What are some good ways to break a plateau. Change what you eat, change how much you eat (do you go up or down). Could I just do a general diet, moderate carbs and watch the calories and then go back? Should I eat right at maintenance level for a few weeks and then cut back? Will going from my old normal calorie, high carb diet to a keto diet be enough to break a plateau?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give and sorry if this was answered in the other thread I tried to absorb as much of it as I could but that is a lot of stuff to take in and will probably revisit it a few more times later on.

Eat 2-3 of them and you don't want to look at food anymore.

They're a staple of romanian holiday-food. I can easily chuck ten of them and keep going. :/ I do drink water in copious amounts as well. Dunno, maybe plain coffee does the trick?

They're a staple of romanian holiday-food. I can easily chuck ten of them and keep going. :/ I do drink water in copious amounts as well. Dunno, maybe plain coffee does the trick?

I would say portion control. I have heard that there is a delay between the brain and stomache of letting you know you are full. Try eating less than you normally would, wait 20 minutes, and see if you are hungry again. I don't really have to worry about this when I'm utilizing a LC diet, but whatever works for you.

On another note, my current situation leaves me without a kitchen for the time being, so it's simply impossible to go low carb. I'm eating like an average American, lots of whole grains and Turkey substituted for beef. I still refuse to drink skim milk. I can confidently say it sucks!

I've had massive success low carbing on the appropriet days. Lost a shit ton of weight and bf% keeping it down to 100 or less grams of carbs a day. Still get to eat plenty of veggies and legumes. Yeah I know it's not ketosis but it goes to show you how far carb control can take you. I haven't been this lean in a long time and it is so much better then my old Wh013 Gr41n3s 6-8meal a day starvation diet. WatCh dEr C410ri3s and EaT yUr wH013 gR4n3s!

Breakfast, 7am: 5 hard-boiled eggs, lots of kimchi.

Lunch, 12pm: 5 egg omelette, with bacon, cheese, garlic, paprika, cooked in coconut oil.

Pre-workout, 5pm: Can of coconut milk/cream

Dinner, 8pm: Fatty meat, veggies of the low carb persuasion.

Now, I know this a good diet, perhaps a little low in fat, but I'm curious to know what people think of the idea of using coconut milk/oil/cream etc as pre-training drinks; I know the MCTs go straight to use in the cells, but are such liquids necessarily high enough in MCTs to sustain 90 minutes of MT?

I'd appreciate it if another murderous fight would not break out in this thread.

Last edited:
Keto diets are fucking terrible, I don't even know why people come up with this stupid shit if regular diets with hard training and consistency pay off.

Keto diets are fucking terrible, I don't even know why people come up with this stupid shit if regular diets with hard training and consistency pay off.

I kind of agree with this sentiment. Not arguing with the 'science' or whatever but they always made me feel miserable, whereas eating a balanced healthy diet with exercise always seem to work well as well.

That said, maybe add some nuts, almonds, cheese or something. Seems extremely barren for a growing lad, maybe add some spinach with your with your omlette (v low carbs).

Therein is the rub; I'm trying to get down in weight-class without having to resort to the tried-and-detested salad/soup agony, which I have determined is unnecessary when a keto option permits greater weight loss without compromising on hormones and health.

What is your weigh and BF%?
Also what are your total calories and macros?

I really don't want to feed a troll here, but your definition of a "regular" diet isn't exactly regular. Regular to Americans and the rest of the world who are accustomed to agricultural products such as grains, sure. But as you can see with anthropological studies, there are cultures that live completely off of fats and proteins with substantially low carbs.

So, being decidedly ignorant on the subject doesn't give you a whole lot of ground to stand on, and certainly exposes your credibility.

I've had massive success low carbing on the appropriet days. Lost a shit ton of weight and bf% keeping it down to 100 or less grams of carbs a day. Still get to eat plenty of veggies and legumes. Yeah I know it's not ketosis but it goes to show you how far carb control can take you. I haven't been this lean in a long time and it is so much better then my old Wh013 Gr41n3s 6-8meal a day starvation diet. WatCh dEr C410ri3s and EaT yUr wH013 gR4n3s!

I can't get over how atrocious your spelling and grammar can be. If only you'd put as much effort into that as you do your 1337 speak :icon_lol:

Fist Meets Foam:

If you're in a plateau, there are ways to tweak your diet you might consider. I've had some good success recently with using intermittent fasting and keto. The 16-8 protocol works for me, and most of the time, when I eat, I find that I have no problem closing down that 8 hour window to a smaller one. It certainly helps with portion control, which in turn helps with overall calorie intake.

As far as your protein intake goes, I'm not certain of what your current diet really looks like right now. But you're pretty close to your goal of 200g of protein per day. You can probably just eat a steak (doesn't have to be a rib eye, london broils are huge cuts, and can easily be made into 2-3 meals in themselves) and get right up close to that amount. Being at 265, if your calorie consumption is only 2300, I'm willing to bet upping it to 2500-2600 on workout days wouldn't hurt you too much. A little more cardio can help offset that, too, with some barbell circuits/complexes.

I won't comment on the glucose monitor, because I have no experience with them.

Last edited:
I would try to use some sort of protein source pretraining. If the coconut milk works well then stick with it but I would try to see if you could add some protein into that meal.

What I have been doing is eating:
- 1g protein per lb of lean body mass
- under 60g of carbs
- remaining calories from fat

I don't try and eat any carbs, but there tends of be some trace carbs in some of the meals that I make. I stay well under 60g, but 60 is my max.

I also try and keep my protein spread equally between each meal/snack

I read the 12,000+ post thread from start to end and it has been a huge help, a wealth of info.

From the other thread to get a base line you should test in the morning and on the second drop if I remember Sinisters recommendation correctly. To calculate the margin of error could I use a Keto Stix and if I show I am pissing ketones and my blood test shows 70 is it safe to figure there is a margin of about 20 points? In other words if you show positive on the keto stick is that an indication that your blood sugar is 50 or below? Should I go to the doctors office to get a professional job done and simultaneously test with the home device to see the variance?

I just used my monitor for the first time and it registered 96 and I just used a keto Stix with a result between moderate and large (almost purple).

I did a control test also and it was within the range on the test strip bottle.

Does that mean Something is wrong or does it mean the monitor could be off by 40 or so point? I'm using a Walgreens TrueTrack monitor.

When I tested it's at night about 3-4 hours after eating a naked burrito with steak, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, pico, jalapenos, about 5 net carbs and drank unsweet tea with splenda. I know it's best to test first thing in the morning but I wanted to try it out and 96 seems really high so it's a little confusing.

Thanks,

Combined some low-carb inquiries into this thread so there's not so many on the same general subject.

Now, I know this a good diet, perhaps a little low in fat, but I'm curious to know what people think of the idea of using coconut milk/oil/cream etc as pre-training drinks; I know the MCTs go straight to use in the cells, but are such liquids necessarily high enough in MCTs to sustain 90 minutes of MT?

I'd appreciate it if another murderous fight would not break out in this thread.

dropshot hit the nail on the head. Combining coconut milk for the fat, and protein is the way to go. Between the properties of the two of them, you should be fine.

I read the 12,000+ post thread from start to end and it has been a huge help, a wealth of info.

From the other thread to get a base line you should test in the morning and on the second drop if I remember Sinisters recommendation correctly. To calculate the margin of error could I use a Keto Stix and if I show I am pissing ketones and my blood test shows 70 is it safe to figure there is a margin of about 20 points? In other words if you show positive on the keto stick is that an indication that your blood sugar is 50 or below? Should I go to the doctors office to get a professional job done and simultaneously test with the home device to see the variance?

I just used my monitor for the first time and it registered 96 and I just used a keto Stix with a result between moderate and large (almost purple).

I did a control test also and it was within the range on the test strip bottle.

Does that mean Something is wrong or does it mean the monitor could be off by 40 or so point? I'm using a Walgreens TrueTrack monitor.

When I tested it's at night about 3-4 hours after eating a naked burrito with steak, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, pico, jalapenos, about 5 net carbs and drank unsweet tea with splenda. I know it's best to test first thing in the morning but I wanted to try it out and 96 seems really high so it's a little confusing.

Thanks,

The margin is ~30mg/dl in most cases, but that's more of a range. A few models have a difficult time reading blood glucose when it gets very low. But it was smart to get the keto sticks. Judging by the combined response, it's likely you're at 56, not 96.

However, consistency is the key. As you get more experienced with testing, you'll learn how your body responds to different foods at least in terms of your glucose metabolism, on a general level.

This, although without the brazen sentiment. I can't stand the fact that people casually throw around the term "keto diet" like it should have any place in weight training regimens. Keto diets are explicitly for certain medical conditions, and if anyone who doesn't need to be on one truly follows a real keto diet they will be doing serious harm to their body.

Idiotic sites like BodyBuilding.com have fed this idea of "keto diets" into the masses constantly and so many bros fall for it it's disgusting. Talk to any certified dietition, physician, etc. and they'll tell you the truth; ignore all this other junk.

Back