The new Charlie's Angels movie flopped. Why are men being blamed for it's failure?

RoosterHucklebuck

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So before the movie even opened, Elizabeth Banks(who I like) claimed that if the movie bombs, it is men's fault for not wanting to see a movie about women. Which leads me to believe that she knew it wasn't going to make any money from the start.

Now from what I had read, this movie got decent reviews, but didn't get marketed towards men(or marketed well at all)

The movie made 8 million dollars opening week on a 40 million dollar budget(The 1st reboot from 2000 made 40 million opening week)

I am curious as who(as in what sex) actually went out to see this movie to make that 8 million opening week. I bet it was equally men and women.

I think the problem is that no one gave a shit about about a reboot of a reboot movie being made.

And did men prevent women from seeing this movie? I mean if my wife wants to see a movie that I really don't want to, I either suck it up and go, or she gets her mother or one of her friends to go and see it.

So before the movie even opened, Elizabeth Banks(who I like) claimed that if the movie bombs, it is men's fault for not wanting to see a movie about women. Which leads me to believe that she knew it wasn't going to make any money from the start.

Now from what I had read, this movie got decent reviews, but didn't get marketed towards men(or marketed well at all)

The movie made 8 million dollars opening week on a 40 million dollar budget(The 1st reboot from 2000 made 40 million opening week)

I am curious as who(as in what sex) actually went out to see this movie to make that 8 million opening week. I bet it was equally men and women.

I think the problem is that no one gave a shit about about a reboot of a reboot movie being made.

And did men prevent women from seeing this movie? I mean if my wife wants to see a movie that I really don't want to, I either suck it up and go, or she gets her mother or one of her friends to go and see it.

It's not that men don't want to see a Movie about women, it's that men don't want to see a Movie about those women. ;)

I thought Charlie's Angels was actually kind of a male power fantasy, I mean, being Bosley. But if people are blaming men for it, they really aren't worth listening to or arguing with. We already had one boring ass reboot with hotter women in it.

They should do a spy movie where the guys fight all sexy and shit, breaking necks with their thighs mmm yeah

It seems almost impossible for Hollywood to put out a good film the second half of this year

It's not that men don't want to see a Movie about women, it's that men don't want to see a Movie about those women. ;)

You are correct. The Charlie's Angles reboot from 2000 had 3 women who were at their peak at the time and were also household names. In this new one, other than Elizabeth Banks, I really don't know who in the Hell the other people in this movie even are.

Do you have a source to back up this claim? Or is it just random twitter idiots?

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/elizabeth-banks-charlies-angels-box-office-bomb

Elizabeth Banks suggested that the reason her "Charlie's Angels" reboot failed to make a splash at the box office opening weekend was that men "don’t go see women do action movies.”

"Charlie's Angels" lost its wings over the weekend, earning just $8.6 million while the racing drama "Ford v Ferarri" topped the box office with a $31 million debut and the war film "Midway" came in second earning $8.75 million, according to Box Office Mojo.
Banks -- who wrote, produced, directed, and starred as Bosley in the reboot -- hinted to the Herald Sun prior to the film's release that a form of sexism from a male-dominated audience may be to blame for its current lack of financial success.

A LOOK BACK AT 'CHARLIE'S ANGELS'

“Look, people have to buy tickets to this movie too. This movie has to make money,” Banks told the Sun. “If this movie doesn’t make money it reinforces a stereotype in Hollywood that men don’t go see women do action movies.”

The "Hunger Games" actress seemed to dismiss the box office success of "Captain Marvel," the Brie Larson-led Marvel film that earned $1.1 billion worldwide earlier this year, as well as "Wonder Woman," which grossed $821 million in 2017, because they belonged to a "male genre."

'FORD V FERARRI' LEAVES 'CHARLIE'S ANGELS' IN THE DUST AT THE BOX OFFICE

Charlies-Angels-Bank_Columbia-Pictures-Getty.jpg

LOS ANGELES, CA - NOVEMBER 11: Elizabeth Banks arrives for the Premiere Of Columbia Pictures' "Charlie's Angels" held at Westwood Regency Theater on November 11, 2019 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Albert L. Ortega/Getty Images)

“They’ll go and see a comic book movie with Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel because that’s a male genre,” Banks explained. “So even though those are movies about women, they put them in the context of feeding the larger comic book world, so it’s all about, yes, you’re watching a Wonder Woman movie but we’re setting up three other characters or we’re setting up ‘Justice League.’”

“By the way, I’m happy for those characters to have box office success, but we need more women’s voices supported with money because that’s the power. The power is in the money.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Elizabeth Banks

✔@ElizabethBanks

Well, if you’re going to have a flop, make sure your name is on it at least 4x. I’m proud of #CharliesAngels and happy it’s in the world.

9:54 AM - Nov 18, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

6,235 people are talking about this

Comparatively, the first "Charlie's Angels" film, which starred Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz, and Lucy Liu, made a $40 million box office weekend debut in 2000 and the sequel, "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle" grossed $37 million in 2003, according to Box Office Mojo.

On Monday, Banks addressed the movie's flop, tweeting: "Well, if you’re going to have a flop, make sure your name is on it at least 4x. I’m proud of #CharliesAngels and happy it’s in the world."

Do you have a source to back up this claim? Or is it just random twitter idiots?

here ya go

sherdog covering important topics like women in shitty movies and political views of actors that are detached from reality

but mention climate change and everyone calls you a moron for it.

I thought Charlie's Angels was actually kind of a male power fantasy, I mean, being Bosley. But if people are blaming men for it, they really aren't worth listening to or arguing with. We already had one boring ass reboot with hotter women in it.

Apparently Bosley is a woman in this one played by the person the OP is talking about. Elizabeth Banks.

sherdog covering important topics like women in shitty movies and political views of actors that are detached from reality

but mention climate change and everyone calls you a moron for it.

Sexism is a hot topic in today's world, especially when the outrage is fake. Climate Change is nothing more than a Liberal's Fantasy.

so you are asking why is elizabeth banks herself is blaming men? she's in the movie right? so she's actually got personal investment in the movie and therefore has all kinds of motivation to shift blame and or create drama.

then there is the possibility she truely believes in what she's saying. i dont think anyone here can truely know whats going on in her mind when she said that other than by the the words she used.

so you are asking why is elizabeth banks herself is blaming men? she's in the movie right? so she's actually got personal investment in the movie and therefore has all kinds of motivation to shift blame and or create drama.

then there is the possibility she truely believes in what she's saying. i dont think anyone here can truely know whats going on in her mind when she said that other than by the the words she used.

She had blamed men for the movie flopping before the movie even released.

The reason why the movie flopped is that she rebooted a movie that no one asked for.

"Look, people have to buy tickets to this movie, too. This movie has to make money. If this movie doesn’t make money it reinforces a stereotype in Hollywood that men don’t go see women do action movies."

while there's plenty to disagree with, this is not blaming men.

yes she's talking about men, but not saying anything negative or unfair or accusatory

her remarks are something to disagree with, there's no penalty flag to be thrown here.

Back