The most controversial/banned books and how you rate them?

Yeah, pretty dull rambling stuff to find inspirational. Doesn't do much of a job painting the "Islamic Utopia" he's aiming for.
I guess he just managed to tap into and focus a lot of feelings of powerlessness and conflicted Muslim identity in modernity.

I've been reading a bunch of stuff on the Afghanistan war with the Soviets, lately.
Milestones seems to have been a huge influence on Zawahiri.
I think that is through reading about him that I actually first heard about Milestones.

I've been meaning to get my hands on this one:

412CV1VTbdL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It is just too expensive.
It gets good reviews, as Zawahiri was no idiot, even though he was extreme.

Lots of german kids in my high school (Milwaukee) walked around reading Mein, Id ask them about it and they all said it was boring.

Read Turner Diaries tho - and it was equally sophomoric and sickening. The edition i found in a used bookstore featured some single line artwork interspersed throughout. It was hilarious.

Lots of german kids in my high school (Milwaukee) walked around reading Mein, Id ask them about it and they all said it was boring.

Read Turner Diaries tho - and it was equally sophomoric and sickening. The edition i found in a used bookstore featured some single line artwork interspersed throughout. It was hilarious.

You should, if you are interested, read Hunter. It was written by the same psycho that wrote The Turner Diaries, but it is actually a pretty good book.

I was pleasantly surprised, as The Turner Diaries was silly.

Edit: just for fun, I checked out its score at goodreads.com. It scores 3.59 out of 5 - which is really high, considering the subject and many of the voters will give it the worst score just because of the subject.

I find it very interesting that Aristophane's Lysistrata was banned in the USA until 1930. Its funny that it was also banned in Greece, during the 1967 dictatorship.

The book is nice. Its about women withholding sex in order to get men to stop fighting in wars and killing everybody.

AFAIK its the earliest mention of "woman power" in a male dominated society. Its mostly about sex too, like women actually daring to have a say in regards to who they fuck and when. Its amazing that more than 2000 years after it was written, people were still horrified about those ideas and rushed to ban the book.

It puts the whole anti-feminist hysteria into perspective. I'm pretty sure that even ancient greece had its Atheists who rambled on about female privilege and feminism getting out of hand etc

he said "can be banned in the land of the free".
at which point would you say the USA has become the land of the free? :rolleyes:

That's a phrase that refers to America. It's actually in the national anthem.

And it doesn't look like books can be banned here.

My Favorite Most Controversial Book:

The Big Coloring Book of Vaginas.

That's a phrase that refers to America. It's actually in the national anthem.

are you denying that at some some point some books were banned in the US?

Um, no. ???

Jack V Savage said:

Um, kind of looks like that is exactly what you said. Books can be banned here and have before. Don't be surprised to see books and movies banned once again for being offensive to X group. The natural outcome of political correctness.

Um, kind of looks like that is exactly what you said. Books can be banned here and have before. Don't be surprised to see books and movies banned once again for being offensive to X group. The natural outcome of political correctness.

I think I heard somewhere that Mark Twain was banned in some states because he used the word "******" pretty often.
Edit: it gets just stars, writing a word for explosive and athletic people.

Um, kind of looks like that is exactly what you said.

Learn to read better.

Books can be banned here and have before. Don't be surprised to see books and movies banned once again for being offensive to X group. The natural outcome of political correctness.

If you look at the books that have previously been banned, it's almost all books that have been offensive to one particular group, and that group is losing its power.

Back