The most amazing Fedor's fight

You’ve seen gnp that knocks people unconscious. Nog had a great chin but everyone can get knocked out.

Fedor's gnp in that fight is legendary. If Nog was a lesser man he probably would've been knocked out or tapped. Getting his skull repeatedly bounced off the canvas by bombs and surviving it made it even more brutal which was the point.

I always liked the Ogawa fight. Fight starts, Ogawa does not touch gloves, Fedor unleashes his fists, Ogawa goes for the takedown, Fedor with a beautiful reversal ends up in full mount, BOOM, armbars a huge silver medalist judoka. All under two minutes.

The nogueira fight (1st one). Where he dribbled nog's head like a basketball with punches.

fedor+massacres+nog+from+guard+again.gif

The Herring fight was pretty brutal.

Was kidding. But a great narrative. The Goats streak ending in the crotch of one of these bjj guys that people thought fedors sambo will best every time.

Fedor's Sambo was great, but the truth is Fedor's athleticism was entirely unmatched at HW. Once that began to decline, it was only a matter of time before he became beatable. (The Rogers fight was actually a pretty good demonstration of that.)

I really don't think that there is any one fight that can explain why FE has so many fans (till today) after all those disaster with Werdum, Hendo and Fabio.
When a person starts watching MMA, picks his favorite, get to know fighters their styles, roots for someone he fells great when 'his fighter' wins. But as Rampage said ones - MMA is a 50/50 game, its always 50% that you ass will get whooped every time when you step into the ring... One way or another the great Nog fallen to FE, great Silva lost to Arona and Shogun got choked by Forrest... The above is especially true for heavyweights where in any round a hail mary punch can change the result of entire fight (see Derrik Lewis as an example)
And that's what made FE so special - not a fight but a decade of fights, taking on everyone and delivering every single time:
That slam from the Monster or his fight with Coleman, him outstriking CroCop or his fight with Silviya or Rogers or Arlovski, every single one of those fights is a thing of beauty, even flying (?) armbar or Hong Man Choi (sp?) was nice
Its extremely easy to discredit each and every of those wins, just watch me: Crocop - a loser who lsot to Gonzaga, Monster was never good, Timmeh who? lost to a has-been in 9 secs, Rogers - pfff really? tire worker? Arlovski - the dude who lost to everyone and his mum, Hong Man Choi and his cousin Zulu... 300 kg of fat...
But watching those fights one after one, with a humble, not athletic man outstriking the best strikers, outgrappling and submitting the best grapplers - that was indescribable... something that only happens after 9 pm news... and I don't think any single fight would do that...

But if I really had to pick it would be:
1. Crocop - significance, publicity, loss of AE to CroCop earlier - arguably one of the biggest fights (to-date) ever made for HW
2. Randleman - and not only for the slam and subsequent submit, but also for how the monster picked Fedor up and carried him, recognising and admiring his talent
3. Timmeh - I know I know, but when the fight happened - Tim was a top 5 in the world and it was kind of the first 'cross-over' of UFC pride heavyweight and in the middleweight cross-over Page beat the sh!t out of Chuck...
But as I said - there were too many...
I'm surprised you don't have the 30 some odd minutes of Nog fights in there. That would be my #2 or #3 instead of Timmeh.

The randleman fight and the Timmy fight

In terms of resume; Fedor vs Nog 1 was a huge win. Nog was like 19-1-1 when they fought. Also always thought it was hilarious that Dan Henderson fought Big Nog twice.

But the most amazing fight has got to be Crocop vs Fedor. It was a technical masterpiece by both guys. It's been the barometer in the HW division for a long time now.

On facebook. There is a page called Tap.Nap.Snap They have an HL of Fedor called, "Sometimes Magic Is Close To Nothing At All". It's long. But it just captures what it was that he had for me. I don't give a fuck what people say about who he may have been able to beat now, or how Hendo KO'd him.... Seeing him walk out was one of the most amazing things I have ever witnessed. If you think it was powerful on TV. When he walked out in Japan people cried... you'd hear them mutter under their breathe, "Champion Dessss" it felt like it was about to rain. It's like static was in the air. And he was for a HW.. a small guy.

There will never be a presence like that again, no matter how much better someone might be... They wont have that. That's what made him The G.O.A.T

today's lhw are bigger then fedor. indeed he is a living legend

In terms of resume; Fedor vs Nog 1 was a huge win. Nog was like 19-1-1 when they fought. Also always thought it was hilarious that Dan Henderson fought Big Nog twice.

But the most amazing fight has got to be Crocop vs Fedor. It was a technical masterpiece by both guys. It's been the barometer in the HW division for a long time now.

masterpiece by cro cop ?

cro cop had no answer for fedor's tactic from the begining of the fight.

i dont know why people are pumped for that fight. it was 3-0 clearly

Actually Herring reversed Fedor, finished round dominant on top, and then couldn't continue fighting due to bleeding

Herring reversed the fight after getting his ass kicked for like 10 seconds, and that means he is "dominant"?

I avoid talking about that, cause it always goes 'Pride vs UFC blah blah blah, Conor would beat Gomi... looked what happened with 'elite striker CroCop vs mediocre GG', and there is really no point, but I like to re-watch Pride tourneys, 'Bushido' tourneys and not only Fedor, remember Chuck finally making it 'to Pride' and then taking a whooping from Page? Or Shogun vs Lil Nog or Nog vs Bob Sapp and CroCop... never rewatched Wandy vs Saku though... thats just sad

I was at the Bushido Tourney Round 1 (LW & WW).. Bodyblow (25) and Pride 28. I re-watch a lot of the older events... Like listening to old classic albums.

But I also am aware that there were a fuck of a lot of works in their events. Too many for the organisation to have ever survived. But while it lasted. It was great... When those drums started, and the Violins.. Lenny Hardt started screaming.

Looking back at all the cards I went to see. The amount of main-event level fights on each of the cards..

Rampage
Hendo
Wanderlei
Hunt
Overeem
Barnett
Aleks
Herring
Arona....

Good times

Fedor's Sambo was great, but the truth is Fedor's athleticism was entirely unmatched at HW. Once that began to decline, it was only a matter of time before he became beatable. (The Rogers fight was actually a pretty good demonstration of that.)

The 3rd Nog fight is really the one to watch for this IMHO, I mean Nog himself was pretty quick and agile for a HW in his prime but Fedor runs rings around him in every aspect.

Last edited:
I was at the Bushido Tourney Round 1 (LW & WW).. Bodyblow (25) and Pride 28. I re-watch a lot of the older events... Like listening to old classic albums.

But I also am aware that there were a fuck of a lot of works in their events. Too many for the organisation to have ever survived. But while it lasted. It was great... When those drums started, and the Violins.. Lenny Hardt started screaming.

Looking back at all the cards I went to see. The amount of main-event level fights on each of the cards..

Rampage
Hendo
Wanderlei
Hunt
Overeem
Barnett
Aleks
Herring
Arona....

Good times

When Pride started off it wasn't even really clear it was MMA, Takada, Saku, etc came out of worked shootstyle pro wrestling and part of the attraction of Rickson was the idea that he wouldn't work a fight. You look at say Takada vs Kyle Sturgeon on the second Pride show and that looks VERY like a UWFi pro wrestling match, I wouldn't be supprised if a few other fights on the undercards back then were works as well.

When you get past the first few events though I think you see a clear shift, Sakuraba vs Carlos Newton especially seems like a turning point were it was clearly realised that being a MMA only org was what the demand was for now. They sneaked in the Coleman/Takada fight after that but by the time of the GP I think it was clear that Pride's popularity depended on being seen as legit.

Honestly if officials being directly employed by the org is a sign of works then you can look to most non US UFC events and see the same thing. Personally though I tend to think if anything having supposedly "inderpendant" officals can be a more dangerous situation. If influence is present it can be denied were as with Pride the buck always stopped with them, if a decision was disagreed with promoter bias was always the first call.

When Pride started off it wasn't even really clear it was MMA, Takada, Saku, etc came out of worked shootstyle pro wrestling and part of the attraction of Rickson was the idea that he wouldn't work a fight. You look at say Takada vs Kyle Sturgeon on the second Pride show and that looks VERY like a UWFi pro wrestling match, I wouldn't be supprised if a few other fights on the undercards back then were works as well.

When you get past the first few events though I think you see a clear shift, Sakuraba vs Carlos Newton especially seems like a turning point were it was clearly realised that being a MMA only org was what the demand was for now. They sneaked in the Coleman/Takada fight after that but by the time of the GP I think it was clear that Pride's popularity depended on being seen as legit.

Honestly if officials being directly employed by the org is a sign of works then you can look to most non US UFC events and see the same thing. Personally though I tend to think if anything having supposedly "inderpendant" officals can be a more dangerous situation. If influence is present it can be denied were as with Pride the buck always stopped with them, if a decision was disagreed with promoter bias was always the first call.

I think what they did was, instead of trying to influence the way the fights went, they tried to put the fights together with a view to them going a certain way... If that makes sense. There were definitely some fights that were specifically put together with a view to seeing a particular fighter win in a particular way..... It doesn't take away from the fact that they had most of the best fighters in the world under one org and put them all on cards together A LOT. At that time, The UFC just didn't have the guys to do that.

But it was that element that saw them go under. After the guy in the hotel room shit, the TV deal disappearing as a result... It was only a matter of time before they were absorbed into another organisation.

And when they did, that's when the sport truly took off.

Pride was a MASSIVE part of the reason the UFC is where it is today.

My personal favorite Fedor fight is vs Ogawa. Ogawa refuses to touch gloves then gets his cheeks clapped in under a minute. The reversal at 1:17 against a Olympic silver medalist in judo is amazing as well.

Back