• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Nintendo The METROIDVANIA Thread

Found the tram pass and beat Nosk so I've got the coiled nail now. I didn't know boss health scaled with nail level, that's fuckin cheeky

Very minor Metroidvania but I’m playing Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 2 and it’s wonderful.

If you like Castlevania 3, you owe yourself to try it. Great gameplay, music and tight controls. You unlock several characters and have different paths and upgrades to get. I don’t technically consider it a Metroidvania but felt it was worth mentioning if you like old style Castlevania games. It completely nails the gameplay and tone.

And because I have no patience for old school sensibilities, I’m playing on casual since you get unlimited lives and continues. Still plenty challenging.
I got to the first boss and quit lmao
I didn't see any damage openings and just tried trading and got massacred and decided the game was ass.

I got to the first boss and quit lmao
I didn't see any damage openings and just tried trading and got massacred and decided the game was ass.

Really? I honestly recommend setting the game to Casual. It's still challenging but the check points and infinite continues help. I thought al of the bosses had fairly easy to see patterns. With that boss, you just hit the head, jump on the blocks, repeat. If you have a sub weapon, it's even easier.

Lots of 9/10 scores homie so it's just you.

Really? I honestly recommend setting the game to Casual. It's still challenging but the check points and infinite continues help. I thought al of the bosses had fairly easy to see patterns. With that boss, you just hit the head, jump on the blocks, repeat. If you have a sub weapon, it's even easier.

Lots of 9/10 scores homie so it's just you.
Yeah I have no patience and honestly didn't care for the game up to that point. I've gotten back into Hollow Knight for now.

Grinded the pure nail today. Now to take on the dream bosses and get to the white palace. This game. It's unbelievable.

Reactions: hsz
12 hours of hollow knight today. Game is literally like crack

I'm kinda shocked that you fell in love with that game of all of the ones mentioned here. To me, it had by far the biggest learning curve and outrageous difficulty at times. I think the first time I tried it, I played it for 4 hours, got lost and just wasn't having fun. Tried again and played it for 6 hours and gave up again. I got tired of hearing about how great the game was and finally played it from start to finish and liked it a lot. Still, it took a long fucking time to get into it and I still have my problems with it.

I'm kinda shocked that you fell in love with that game of all of the ones mentioned here. To me, it had by far the biggest learning curve and outrageous difficulty at times. I think the first time I tried it, I played it for 4 hours, got lost and just wasn't having fun. Tried again and played it for 6 hours and gave up again. I got tired of hearing about how great the game was and finally played it from start to finish and liked it a lot. Still, it took a long fucking time to get into it and I still have my problems with it.
Just beat the white palace. I love games that piss me off. It's kinda my thing.

And honestly both Ori games are harder than Hollow Knight

And honestly both Ori games are harder than Hollow Knight

I'd say they're more irritating do to the mechanics not being as tight(or fun to use) as they need to be. In Hollow Knight, I could die a whole bunch and still want to play to get past whatever was stopping me. The game never stopped being fun to play, even when it was tough. In Ori, if I hit a roadblock, it started to feel like a chore that I didn't want to do real fast.

I'd say they're more irritating do to the mechanics not being as tight(or fun to use) as they need to be. In Hollow Knight, I could die a whole bunch and still want to play to get past whatever was stopping me. The game never stopped being fun to play, even when it was tough. In Ori, if I hit a roadblock, it started to feel like a chore that I didn't want to do real fast.
Yep. Quit Will of the Wisps at the spider boss and the first game at some bullshittin where I made a checkpoint in the wrong spot and had to jump through hoops to get through to the next section

So I'm wondering why the traitor lord is so overpowered. Turns out he was a can so they over buffed him and left him that way

Traitor lord has single handedly ruined the game. It's now a 2/10

Nope...dw Traitor Lord is a gimmick boss. Dont get greedy and just use your invincible frames and jumps to survive.
I beat it. Going for the last mask shards before taking on radiance. I can down hollow knight every time but radiance does two damage per hit

Back