The mentality Aldo should have against Conor....

TdotK

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Play the role of GSP, and treat Conor like he's Thiago Alves.

Keep it simple with jabs, leg kicks, and mix in TDs every chance he possibly can.

Keep Conor guessing, and turn it into a real MMA match. Not a kickboxing match.

This may seem obvious to some, but he has to go in with the mentality of a GSP. Not with the mentality of a kick boxer with some TD threats, but a pure GSP mentality. Fight exactly how GSP fought Alves, but with his own ingredients added in.

And yes, Alves doesnt fight like Conor, but you get where I'm going with this.

I believe even a pure kickboxing match would be enough. Those leg kicks... Though mixing in takedowns would only make it better, indeed.

If Jose Aldo wants to make it a striking match, he will lose. Simple as that.

If Jose Aldo wants to make it a striking match, he will lose. Simple as that.

I wouldn't say that, but if he remembers that this is an MMA match, and doesn't get caught up in the bravado, he could really mess up Conor's stand up from the beginning.

I think he should threaten with TDs straight away, and just totally mess up Conor's rhythym, and test his cardio. Also, get in some knees to the body while clinched up. Keep chipping away at the guy every chance.

This fight doesn't have to be a mid range striking battle like people expect. Make it ugly at times, and totally take the fight out of Conor.

Simple as that?

Yes. McGregor has shown to have more power based on looking at the finish rates against similar competition early in their careers pre UFC-WEC. And looking at the striking as a whole.

Jose Aldo has clearly faced better fighters, no denying that. I think Aldo needs to mix it up and get inside on Conor. He'll have the speed and experience edge alongside of being more well-rounded.

I wouldn't say that, but if he remembers that this is an MMA match, and doesn't get caught up in the bravado, he could really mess up Conor's stand up from the beginning.

I think he should threaten with TDs straight away, and just totally mess up Conor's rhythym, and test his cardio. Also, get in some knees to the body while clinched up. Keep chipping away at the guy every chance.

This fight doesn't have to be a mid range striking battle like people expect. Make it ugly at times, and totally take the fight out of Conor.

Pretty much agree with you. You can't let Conor get into his pace and have him pressure you on the backfoot. You gotta make it dirty. Mix in some TD threats and good muay thai in the clinch.

Last edited:
Why take any chances when you're clearly the more diverse fighter? Why would you have great grappling, and not use it when you're facing a guy with legit KO power?

This should be Aldo's mentality throughout his entire training camp. If he wants to prove who the better stand up fighter is, then that's just taking away from his entire arsenal, and could be a risk that he wished he never took.

Not saying Conor's gonna knock him out (possibility), but why take that risk, when you're clearly the superior MMA fighter?

McGregor is going to look like a Nemo in a shark tank (he doesnt stand a chance )

tumblr_ls28jr6xlv1qd7qk3.gif

Why take any chances when you're clearly the more diverse fighter? Why would you have great grappling, and not use it when you're facing a guy with legit KO power?

This should be Aldo's mentality throughout his entire training camp. If he wants to prove who the better stand up fighter is, then that's just taking away from his entire arsenal, and could be a risk that he wished he never took.

Not saying Conor's gonna knock him out (possibility), but why take that risk, when you're clearly the superior MMA fighter?
This. Aldo needs to make this a grinding fight.

Connor is tailor made for a highlight reel KO for Aldo. Very aggressive with little to no striking defense.

Keep it simple with jabs, leg kicks, and mix in TDs every chance he possibly can.

This may seem obvious to some, but he has to go in with the mentality of a GSP. Not with the mentality of a kick boxer with some TD threats, but a pure GSP mentality. Fight exactly how GSP fought Alves, but with his own ingredients added in.

Have no clue where you are going with this.

If Aldo sits in mid range and tries to make it a kickboxing match, he's risking getting KO'd by Conor's powerful striking.

Connor is tailor made for a highlight reel KO for Aldo. Very aggressive with little to no striking defense.

And Conor is a tough bastard with devastating KO power. Why take the risk of getting caught in a pure stand up battle?

This is where smarts needs to be used, and to almost guarantee a victory.

Aldo needs to beat him so bad that Conor will reassess his entire approach to MMA. I want Aldo to beat him so comprehensively that Conor starts training with Phil Davis, and the Gracie twins lol.

If Aldo sits in mid range and tries to make it a kickboxing match, he's risking getting KO'd by Conor's powerful striking.

Exactly. He has all the tools to minimize that risk tremendously.

Conor has to go for the KO, or keep it standing. Aldo has more tools to work with. This is the art of war. Use your advantages.

Ya I see him doing something similar like he did in the Mark H. fight. Stand with Conor mostly but go for random takedowns get him guessing. Also alot of head movement as well. He will most likely look to counter of the left straight Conor loves to throw. He is definitely fast enough to do so.

Yes. McGregor has shown to have more power based on looking at the finish rates against similar competition. And looking at the striking as a whole.

Jose Aldo has clearly faced better fighters, no denying that. I think Aldo needs to mix it up and get inside on Conor. He'll have the speed and experience edge alongside of being more well-rounded.

Pretty much agree with you. You can't let Conor get into his pace and have him pressure you on the backfoot. You gotta make it dirty. Mix in some TD threats and good muay thai in the clinch.

So he has a better finish rate against "similar competition", then you go on to say that Aldo has faced better fighters. Seems contradictory. Are you high right now?

Back