• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies THE MARVELS (Dragonlord's Review; Worst MCU Second-Weekend Drop with 78%)

If you have seen THE MARVELS, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
There has been a lot of talk about this lately as part of the Disney way:

- sign everyone to an extended contract for the movie (i.e. you may be called upon up to _____ months after initial filming concludes).

- have committees from Disney HQ watch the film in an internal test screening.

- call back everyone to reshoot based upon comments from the HQ.

This is why we are seeing stories about Disney+ shows being $20 million per episode.

They also scrapped all of Daredevil.

Seems like they will reshoot a lot of Captain America 4.

They also have been caught low balling their budgets, Multiverse of madness cost 300 million and Eternals 236 when the initial figures where much lower.

They also scrapped all of Daredevil.

Seems like they will reshoot a lot of Captain America 4.

They also have been caught low balling their budgets, Multiverse of madness cost 300 million and Eternals 236 when the initial figures where much lower.
It was stupid to make falcon captain america that deserves to fail. Falcon already was a good character on its own.

Last edited:
Update: November 12, 2023

THE MARVELS Bombs at the Box Office with $47 Million in New Low for Marvel Studios

the-marvels-trailer.jpg

The Marvels opened to an estimated $47 million at the domestic box office to rank as the worst start in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It also came in behind expectations overseas, where it launched with $63.3 million from 51 material markets for a global start of $110.3 million against a hefty $200 million production budget.

The Marvels marks a new low for Kevin Feige‘s Marvel Studio and adds fuel to the theory that superhero fatigue is a real thing as fanboys grow weary of a glut of titles and are hence far less forgiving. Marvel has been unrivaled in its success for years, with its movies collecting more than $30 billion in grosses at the worldwide box office.

Until now, rival DC was the superhero studio that endured the biggest ups and downs, with a good number of its films opening to $50 million or less (in comparison, many MCU releases started with $100 million or more domestically). This summer, DC’s The Flash debuted to a dismal $55 million domestically on its way to topping out at a paltry $270.6 million globally.

Word of mouth is killing The Marvels, which is only the third MCU title to receive a B CinemaScore from audiences after Eternals and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantamania. The vast majority of MCU releases have earned some variation of an A. Its Rotten Tomatoes critics’ score of 62 percent is likewise on the lower end. Males made up the majority of ticket buyers, or 61 percent, while 45 percent of the grosses came from Imax and other premium large-format screens.

The 33rd installment in the MCU is a sequel to the 2019 Brie Larson starrer Captain Marvel, which opened to $153.4 million in North America on its way to earning a massive $1.13 billion worldwide, not adjusted for inflation. That movie had a clear advantage in that it was teased in the post-credit scene of 2018's Avengers: Infinity War while its titular star was a player in 2019’s Avengers: Endgame (it was released between the two Marvel mega-blockbusters).

Before now, 2008’s The Incredible Hulk held the record for the lowest domestic opening of any MCU title at $55.4 million, not adjusted for inflation (Marvel, which wasn’t owned by Disney at the time, partnered with Universal for Hulk). The next lowest MCU opening belonged to Marvel/Disney’s Ant-Man, which started with $57.2 million domestically in 2015.

The cast of The Marvels wasn’t able to do any promotion or publicity because of the SAG-AFTRA strike, although Larson and her co-stars sprung into action Thursday after the strike ended. Larson appeared on The Tonight Show on Friday, while she and her co-stars surprised fans at various screenings of the movie in New York City opening weekend.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...arvels-box-office-bombing-opening-1235644758/

THE MARVELS Bombs at the Box Office with $47 Million in New Low for Marvel Studios

the-marvels-trailer.jpg

The Marvels opened to an estimated $47 million at the domestic box office to rank as the worst start in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It also came in behind expectations overseas, where it launched with $63.3 million from 51 material markets for a global start of $110.3 million against a hefty $200 million production budget.

The Marvels marks a new low for Kevin Feige‘s Marvel Studio and adds fuel to the theory that superhero fatigue is a real thing as fanboys grow weary of a glut of titles and are hence far less forgiving. Marvel has been unrivaled in its success for years, with its movies collecting more than $30 billion in grosses at the worldwide box office.

Until now, rival DC was the superhero studio that endured the biggest ups and downs, with a good number of its films opening to $50 million or less (in comparison, many MCU releases started with $100 million or more domestically). This summer, DC’s The Flash debuted to a dismal $55 million domestically on its way to topping out at a paltry $270.6 million globally.

Word of mouth is killing The Marvels, which is only the third MCU title to receive a B CinemaScore from audiences after Eternals and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantamania. The vast majority of MCU releases have earned some variation of an A. Its Rotten Tomatoes critics’ score of 62 percent is likewise on the lower end. Males made up the majority of ticket buyers, or 61 percent, while 45 percent of the grosses came from Imax and other premium large-format screens.

The 33rd installment in the MCU is a sequel to the 2019 Brie Larson starrer Captain Marvel, which opened to $153.4 million in North America on its way to earning a massive $1.13 billion worldwide, not adjusted for inflation. That movie had a clear advantage in that it was teased in the post-credit scene of 2018's Avengers: Infinity War while its titular star was a player in 2019’s Avengers: Endgame (it was released between the two Marvel mega-blockbusters).

Before now, 2008’s The Incredible Hulk held the record for the lowest domestic opening of any MCU title at $55.4 million, not adjusted for inflation (Marvel, which wasn’t owned by Disney at the time, partnered with Universal for Hulk). The next lowest MCU opening belonged to Marvel/Disney’s Ant-Man, which started with $57.2 million domestically in 2015.

The cast of The Marvels wasn’t able to do any promotion or publicity because of the SAG-AFTRA strike, although Larson and her co-stars sprung into action Thursday after the strike ended. Larson appeared on The Tonight Show on Friday, while she and her co-stars surprised fans at various screenings of the movie in New York City opening weekend.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...arvels-box-office-bombing-opening-1235644758/

<{you!}>

the-marvels-trailer.jpg

I don't get how they expected this to succeed the only character I sort of know is Captain marvel and bree larson ruined any goodwill the fans have with her bitchy interviews made us not want to support her films.

When I saw the trailer, I thought it was for a Disney + show.

Totally forgot about it and I was surprised it was released this weekend.

It’s hard to keep track of the new characters because you have to watch the Disney + shows to understand what’s going on. It’s a drag.

I don't get how they expected this to succeed the only character I sort of know is Captain marvel and bree larson ruined any goodwill the fans have with her bitchy interviews made us not want to support her films.

Oh yeah forgot about that. She complained on Twitter that an airport employee talked to her as a fan. What a bitch (in before it was a joke post).

Oh yeah forgot about that. She complained on Twitter that an airport employee talked to her as a fan. What a bitch (in before it was a joke post).

I can't believe I'm defending Captain Resting Bitch Face, but the story I heard was, Larson smiled at an airport employee during the check in process. He immediately asked her for her number. Not that big a deal, but the guy comes across as a bit of a douche. I don't blame her for being pissed.

I can't believe I'm defending Captain Resting Bitch Face, but the story I heard was, Larson smiled at an airport employee during the check in process. He immediately asked her for her number. Not that big a deal, but the guy comes across as a bit of a douche. I don't blame her for being pissed.

Thanks for clarifying - I just looked it up on Google. She acted like she was assaulted though cus she was a woman and she smiled.

It barely happens but when girls and even gay dudes hit on me, I don’t make a big deal out of it and post on Twitter how I’m a victim for being cordial. Probably because I’m ugly, but I take it as a compliment lol

I've been down on Marvel lately, and they deserve criticism for a lot of stuff. But, if we were actually being honest, part of why movies like this flop nowadays is because there's a whole market for people to whine and be negative over things that aren't even happening. Negative press always gets heard and drowns out the positive.

I agree the "Disney sucks" youtube channels are also getting real tiresome and lame.

However, the Marvel movies simply suck these days. That's an objective fact. The Eternals was garbage. Loki is stupid. The last Thor was horrible. They're simply not good.

I'm hoping the X-Men reboot can turn things around.

However, the Marvel movies simply suck these days. That's an objective fact. The Eternals was garbage. Loki is stupid. The last Thor was horrible. They're simply not good.

i actually liked Eternals. i think the general audience perceptions will shift more appreciably in the future once it’s easier to view in a vacuum.

so far i’ve liked s2 of Loki as well. there’s a lot more to like this season compared to s1 at least.

They also made the MCU more childish

Ehh, It's always been pretty whimsical and childish, with some edge. That was a big part of their hook. Perfect PG-13 movies with something for everyone. It's why they have always been more successful than the DCU, that seems to get all of their inspiration from Batman, no matter what they're doing. It's why we have like four or five flicks of emo Superman, when he's not even supposed to be like that.

At the end of the day, and for whatever reason, I think this is just a natural conclusion to a generational fad(albeit a very long one) reaching the end of its rope. Happened to hair metal. Happened to grunge. It's happening to the MCU. Gen Z, the wokest of the woke, does not care for this shit. That's their biggest issue. The kids don't care. They're the money. Disney and the MCU are in between generations. Old guard is aging out, and the new guard doesn't give a fuck for comic book shit, because they likely have no connection to them, unlike previous generations. This gen does not care for their comic book superheroes being properly realized on the screen, because they don't read comic books. Their parents did.

i actually liked Eternals. i think the general audience perceptions will shift more appreciably in the future once it’s easier to view in a vacuum.

so far i’ve liked s2 of Loki as well. there’s a lot more to like this season compared to s1 at least.
I was just on a plane and with little choice I rewatched The Eternals thinking maybe I was too harsh on first viewing. This happened with Ant Man, 2nd time I liked it. With Eternals it sucked worse. Too many main characters all with origin stories...what a mess.

Thanks for clarifying - I just looked it up on Google. She acted like she was assaulted though cus she was a woman and she smiled.

It barely happens but when girls and even gay dudes hit on me, I don’t make a big deal out of it and post on Twitter how I’m a victim for being cordial. Probably because I’m ugly, but I take it as a compliment lol
She has said other things and done nterviews where she looks snarky and angry. People want to blame misogyny but plenty of female Hero’s don’t get hate. People love Gals WW. People love Johanssons Black Widow and Scarlett Witch’s Olsen. I truly think it’s because she sores off as angry and insufferable. That time where she called for reviewers to be more diverse because she “Didn’t want a 40 year old white dude to tell her what was wrong with “A Wrinkle In Time” was quite revealing. Bitch, YOU are white too. And the interviews she did with End Game cast looked like they all didn’t care for her. I don’t really care if someone is an ass offscreen. I love Tom Cruise. But Marvel fans are different.

Finally we are seeing the superhero movie trend losing steam. The biggest flops this year were Shazam 2, The Marvels, and The Flash. I expect Aquaman 2 and Kraven to continue the downward trend. Antman Quantumania in a way also disappointed. Unfortunately we are now having the movies replaced by video adaptations like Super Mario and 5 Nights at Freddy being the box office success.

Finally we are seeing the superhero movie trend losing steam. The biggest flops this year were Shazam 2, The Marvels, and The Flash. I expect Aquaman 2 and Kraven to continue the downward trend. Antman Quantumania in a way also disappointed. Unfortunately we are now having the movies replaced by video adaptations like Super Mario and 5 Nights at Freddy being the box office success.

What should the box office be filled with?

What should the box office be filled with?
Problem was some of the genres were done to death like all those Michael Bayish actioneers from the 90s and the repetative natural disaster movies. Personally I always love the sword and sandal epics like Gladiator, Centurian, Kingdom of the Heaven and Troy. Too bad only Gladiator did well

I guess that's why "Black Panther" did so poorly, right? All the negative internet buzz...

You can't have it both ways. At the end of the day, it bombed because people weren't interested in it for one reason or another. A lot of the same people who have swallowed every last bit of the MCU. Could be some woke shit, general apathy towards these characters or actors, it looked like shit, there didn't seem to be clear plot in the trailers, etc, etc.
So poorly? It made 850+ million worldwide.
https://www.businessinsider.com/mar...box-office-2021-11#1-avengers-endgame-2019-31

The top 5 movies were team movies/on the heels/connected to End Game. Black Panther is #6. Your argument, as usual, is horse shit.

A Black Panther sequel without the Black Panther actor/character that everyone actually loved and wanted to see is pretty obviously at a ginormous disadvantage. Considering they lost their LEAD actor and character, the movie did pretty damn good. I wonder if the last Thor movie would have had the same numbers if Chris Hemsworth wasn't in it, and it was just Natalie Portman?

I didn't say people weren't interested in this movie for ONE reason. I said PART of the reason why people lose interest in particular projects is because there is an army of whiners that shit on a movie before it even goes into production. They keep that bad press going for a 1+ year, will make videos on movies they have literally not seen, and that's what the story becomes.
I have been very critical of the current MCU, so it's not even like I ignore the obvious problems that exist. But to say that online negativity doesn't play a part in a business that partially depends on word of mouth is straight up false.

I agree the "Disney sucks" youtube channels are also getting real tiresome and lame.

Despite you guys keep repeating this, it doesn't make it an objective fact. Marvel, while it has it's formula to a degree, with its many projects, they aren't all the same.
The last Guardians of the Galaxy didn't suck. The last Spiderman movie didn't suck. Despite Chadwick's passing, I thought the last Black Panther was solid. Thor, Dr Strange, and Antman were terrible. Loki was great. I thought Ms. Marvel's series was pretty fun overall for what it was. (a story about a quirky teenaged girl getting powers) There are aspects of She-Hulk, Hawkeye and Moon Knight that I liked and disliked.
None of this is just simply "This is all good" or, "It's all bad", definitely not in any objective sense.

It's just become very lazy and lucrative to dunk on Disney. You don't even have to watch a movie or TV show. You just shit on the trailer and repeat "MSheU" over and over, and a bunch of morons eat that shit up.

The Marvels is not even part of the Marvel comic books. It's a studio creation just because they wanted to use a female director and have diversity points with the characters. The big bad was a guy in the comics but they made her a black women with a stick - most uninteresting baddie ever.

????
They aren't making a "Marvels" super team with this movie. It's the title of the movie because all of the characters have, or have had the name "Marvel" in their super hero name at some point in time. The big bad is Kree, not a black woman with a stick.

Back