• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (2016) Remake

If you have seen THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (2016), how would you rate it?

• Total voters
I just saw a trailer for this. The guy who wrote True Detective wrote the screenplay for it. I'll check it out just for that.

I had no idea that this was being made. The original will be hard to top. I do love a good western.

Update: July 18, 2016

New U.S. and International Trailers for THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN

Magnificent-Seven-Chris-Pratt-071816-Dragonlord.jpg

Sony Pictures and MGM have released the new trailer for the upcoming remake of The Magnificent Seven, which marks the third pairing of star Denzel Washington and director Antoine Fuqua after Training Day and The Equalizer.

With the town of Rose Creek under the deadly control of industrialist Bartholomew Bogue (Peter Sarsgaard), the desperate townspeople employ protection from seven outlaws, bounty hunters, gamblers and hired guns – Sam Chisolm (Denzel Washington), Josh Farraday (Chris Pratt), Goodnight Robicheaux (Ethan Hawke), Jack Horne (Vincent D’Onofrio), Billy Rocks (Byung-Hun Lee), Vasquez (Manuel Garcia-Rulfo), and Red Harvest (Martin Sensmeier). As they prepare the town for the violent showdown that they know is coming, these seven mercenaries find themselves fighting for more than money.

With a screenplay by True Detective scribe Nic Pizzolatto and The Equalizer‘s Richard Wenk, The Magnificent Seven also stars Haley Bennett, Matt Bomer, Billy Slaughter and Vinnie Jones. The film opens on September 23, 2016.

Denzel Washington and Chris Pratt in the New Domestic and International Trailers for The Magnificent Seven

Note: This will merged with the official thread after a few days.

Trailers look pretty good. I'm not totally sure how I feel about the jokey nature of what my instinct says should be a more serious presentation, but maybe it will work.

International trailer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>US trailer.

I will drop the $10 to see it. Pratt is a Christian bowhunter, I have to give him money

This looks liked pandering shit balls...

Dat dere chinaman be slackin' off. Ah need mah gaddamn railroad now!

Is that a Native American or a Mexican there in the back? It's the year 2016 and there's no transgender character? For shame...

Critics' Reviews for THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN

Rotten Tomatoes: 63% Approval Rating (96 out of 153 critics like it)

Critics Consensus: The Magnificent Seven never really lives up to the superlative in its title -- or the classics from which it draws inspiration -- but remains a moderately diverting action thriller on its own merits.

Magnificent-Seven-Poster-092316-Dragonlord.jpg

Entertainment Weekly - Though there are a few clever turns in all the methodical mayhem, the final hour ultimately feels like a waste of his charismatic actors and the easy chemistry they share. Silly, solid entertainment: multiplex fun by numbers. B

New York Daily News - Instead of ever getting truly "Magnificent," these multicultural gunslingers remain largely a meh seven. The picture dawdles, too. That was actually a problem with the original; you watched the leader assemble his team of hired guns, and then you had to wait, and wait, for someone to fire. 2/5

Richard Roeper - Over all, this is a rousing, albeit sometimes cheesy, action-packed Western bolstered by Denzel Washington’s baddest-of-the-baddasses lead performance, mostly fine supporting work, and yep, some of the most impressively choreographed extended shootout sequences in recent memory. 3/4

James Berardinelli - If there’s a compelling reason to remake The Magnificent Seven, it can’t be found in the 2016 version, a loud, cluttered, and generally disappointing production. Unfortunately, the battle itself is a letdown. A there’s a lot of violence but the end result is confused and unsatisfying. 2/4

Rolling Stone - If the sight of Denzel Washington, guns blazing and saddled up for his first western, doesn't get your pulse racing, read elsewhere. Relax, people. The new Seven isn't aiming for cinema immortality. It's two hours of hardcore, shoot-em-up pow and it's entertaining as hell. 3/4

Back