The little squat stance few fighters do right before the fight

ElCasca

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I've always wondered that usually unorthodox guys right start the fight in a squat stance like Jones, Anderson, Michael Johnson, Rashad, McGregor.

I Wonder if there's any motive behind it, like to copy some idol or idk, for Anderson I may get it because of the Spider image, but for the others I don't know why, specially how Vitor almost fucked that up in the Jones fight.

I've always wondered that usually unorthodox guys right start the fight in a squat stance like Jones, Anderson, Michael Johnson, Rashad, McGregor.

I Wonder if there's any motive behind it, like to copy some idol or idk, for Anderson I may get it because of the Spider image, but for the others I don't know why, specially how Vitor almost fucked that up in the Jones fight.

I don't know that Big John would have deducted a point from Vitor.

He told JBJ "well, you wanna play the game" or something to that effect.

They're trying to hide the bumps on their stomachs.

monkey-guy-bloodsport.jpg

...they all are fans of kumite.

I remember that, and he kept doing it in later fights

That's the one thing I love most about Big John. He cranks down hard on opportunists who exploit the rules.

Last edited:
It would have been so great if Vitor had landed

Thing is, Jones was complaining about Vitor trying to kick him. But had Vitor actually kicked, and hit, Jones, Vitor would have been disqualified.

Johnson and Jones both got it from training with Rashad.

It's just something they do b/c they think it's "cool" or just kind of habit. It's like the swimmers who fling their arms around like a helicopter right before they swim. Surely it doesn't really do anything other than look "cool".

I prefer when they do the jumping:
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Thing is, Jones was complaining about Vitor trying to kick him. But had Vitor actually kicked, and hit, Jones, Vitor would have been disqualified.

No he wouldn't. Jon brought his hands up to protect his head. By the time the kick would have landed both his hands were off the mat

I expect resistance to this, but it's just guys trying to act/look like cerebral fighters. It's all about looking "cerebral."

Back