The Life Plan Continues (Path to the Brown Belt) 2011

I'll be curious how you like Defranco's stuff coming from 5/3/1.

I also had a question: I have my first competition coming up next weekend so I was wondering if you usually back way off lifting during the week before or what else I could do to physically prepare? It's just for a white belt judo tourney, so it's no big deal, but I'd imagine your advice would apply. Thanks!

Thursday, march 10th, 2011

lastly, miguel also talked about going all out when i visit other gyms. he used zach and reese as examples and explained that i don't need to visit other gyms to 'play.' i need to implement my a-game and see what works and what doesn't. i definitely should've done that at jay valko's instead of just playing nice and going for random DLR stuff.

I don't know, this is a tough call. When you came to Valko you did roll with the two best guys (Jay & Allen). No real point in going crazy. Obviously, you don't want to have a bad showing or make your gym look bad (which you did not do), but you don't want to seem like you're trying to prove something. Typically, I encourage my higher belts to roll at the pace of their partner. When you rolled with Allen and I it was a polite but competitive pace. I think you did it right on your visit. If you were to come by and say you wanted to train hard or get ready for comp, then it might be a different story, but I though you rolled appropriately for the situation (and I hope you feel the same about us!).

BTW, you mentioned conducting an interview. If you're still interested feel free to shoot me and email and I'll happy go over anything you want.

I don't know, this is a tough call. When you came to Valko you did roll with the two best guys (Jay & Allen). No real point in going crazy. Obviously, you don't want to have a bad showing or make your gym look bad (which you did not do), but you don't want to seem like you're trying to prove something. Typically, I encourage my higher belts to roll at the pace of their partner. When you rolled with Allen and I it was a polite but competitive pace. I think you did it right on your visit. If you were to come by and say you wanted to train hard or get ready for comp, then it might be a different story, but I though you rolled appropriately for the situation (and I hope you feel the same about us!).

BTW, you mentioned conducting an interview. If you're still interested feel free to shoot me and email and I'll happy go over anything you want.

I really appreciate you taking the time to read, and respond on here. more important, thanks for allowing me to visit and for allowing me to roll with the best guys at your gym.

And i definitely see your point. I think the two seemingly different mindsets are for different times. I feel that when i visit other gyms and attend an open mat training session, that may be the time to push the pace a bit. not when i come just to write a review. i agree about not coming in under the guise of observer and participant and then roll like its the mundials the first chance i get.

i think honestly I just wish i would've had a bit better of a showing at your gym. i think i always want to impress people that i look up to and i would've liked to have been able to show a bit more.

and i'll definitely be sending you an email soon about the interview. thanks again!

I'll be curious how you like Defranco's stuff coming from 5/3/1.

I also had a question: I have my first competition coming up next weekend so I was wondering if you usually back way off lifting during the week before or what else I could do to physically prepare? It's just for a white belt judo tourney, so it's no big deal, but I'd imagine your advice would apply. Thanks!

ill let you know about defranco's in 12 weeks. as far as tapering, just deload the week of and you'll be fine.

Sunday, March 27th, 2011

Week 1 Lower 1

1. DB Squat Jumps, holding 10lb. DB’s: 4x6

2. Squat 8x250, 6x265, 4x285

3a. 45 Degree Back Raises w/ small band: 3x15
3b. Ab rollouts 3x10

4. 1 mile run in 8:50.. yuck, but definitely good for me to get back to running.

Just watched the samuel braga interview that poppa rotzee put up. Braga mentioned that one of the most underused positions in bjj is DLR guard. Backs up my thoughts about it lately. Dropping my half guard and full guard game and playing exclusively DLR and butterfly will be how I keep myself from continuing to stagnate. My A game will always be there.

Monday, March 28th, 2011

Rolling (gi)
Rolled with one of our really lightweight blue belts and was able to play with a lot of things. Really had a great flow roll just releasing submissions and sweeps and stuff.

--Dentist Appt. for 90min.--

Rolling (gi)
Against smaller guys, my A game works great and I need to keep distance when passing, against bigger guys, I need to smash a bit more.

When somebody gets the underhook and I'm in side mount, I need to latch onto the guillotine tight and step over to mount. It worked against Neil today and I need to work it more instead of just circling to north-south. Played with DLR some more, but still don't know how to do the rolling sweeps.

Tuesday, March 29th, 2011

Week 1 Upper 2

Simple 6 warmup

1. Chin-ups (total reps = 15) = 8, 5, 2

2a. BB Rows 95 x 25, 25
2b. Pushups x 2,5 20

3a. “Rolling” triceps extensions – 4x8
3b. Hammer Curls (both arms same time) – 4x8

4. Core Circuit: x2
A) Toe Touches x20
B) Bicycle x 30 Total
C) Side Plank x 30sec each side

5. 100 push-ups as fast as possible: (Total time = 8:21)

Those pushups at the end were brutal.

Jiu-Jitsu (gi)
Went over some great half guard sweeps and escapes with Miguel. Ill have to add details later.

Rolling (gi)
Only got to roll twice. I really need to figure out how to work against guys who smash me. The bigger and stronger guys play my own top game against me and I really don't have an answer for it. Armando, zach, and anthony all do it and I have a lot of trouble with them. Definitely some troubleshooting to be done.

Last edited:
Thursday, March 31st, 2011

My upper body is smashed. Didn't even want to think about week 2's first upper body day.

Week 2 Lower

1. DB Squat Jumps, holding 15lb. DB’s: 4x6

2. Squat: 260 x 7, 275 x 5, 295 x 3

3a. 45 Degree Back Raises w/ small band: 2x15
3b. Ab Rollouts 2x10

Was short on time so I didn't get to the 1mi. run or the proper warmup. I'll have ample opportunity over the next few days to get them in though. These back to back upper body workouts are rough.

Last edited:
Right on sir. It's going really well so far. Like I said, I'm really not used to the volume of it. My arms haven't been this sore in a long long time. But like I said, I'll let you know as the volume of the conditioning and max effort escalates toward the end.

Sunday. April 3rd, 2011

Sick for the last three days. Sorta clearing up today.

Week 2 Upper 1

Simple 6 warmup

1. Bench Press: 190 x 7, 205 x 5, 215x 7

2. BB Bench: 2 x Max Reps (25, 20 x 135)

3a. Blast Strap Rows: 4x8
3b. Skullcrushers: 4x12

4a. DB Shrugs (2 Sec Holds): 3x12
4b. DB Lateral Raises: 3x12

5. Barbell Complex (deadlifts, bent rows, hang cleans, push press, back squat): 3 sets. Perform 10 reps of each exercise. Rest 90 sec. b/t sets.

2.5 mi walk

Lots of bjj this week (spring break) including a visit to New Breed up north!

Monday, April 4th, 2011

Fat bar, narrow grip Pullups x 8, 4.. left bicep is killing me

Jiu-Jitsu (gi)
Worked mount escapes and the real key I picked up is escaping right away and either staying super tight or making tons of space. NO in between!

Rolling (gi)
Rolled with Dustin and banged him up again. Also got to roll with John, who I hope destroys people this weekend. But also rolled for nearly 30 minutes after class and spent a lot of time discussing theory. Definitely got in a good workout, but didn't really get to play any of my DLR game at all. Again, DLR works great against smaller guys, as does my mount cross choke.

Monday, April 4th, 2011

Jiu-Jitsu (gi)
mmmiforget?

Rolling (gi)
Rolled for a decent amount of time. But still haven't been able to make DLR work against anybody who is as strong and as skilled as me. Just gotta keep trying to use it exclusively on white belts. My closed guard and half guard are solid. Gotta use them against the top guys and DLR against others. AND I think one of the best things that I can do is once I pass guard, mount and get swept back to guard to work it more. I spend too much time on top.

Tuesday April 5th, 2011 - Friday April 8th, 2011

Wow, what a crazy week of training. Didn't even have time to log it!

I got to train at New Breed BJJ up on the north side. I'll log that on bjjinchicago.com this week.

In total:
5 x bjj training / rolling
1 x strength / conditioning

It was a really amazing week and I got to roll with a lot of really great people. Had my ups and downs in training and still trying to figure out the nuances of DLR guard. I need to stop thinking that I have to be able to beat every other purple belt out there. Yes, I can definitely beat some (as I noticed at US Grappling this Saturday; just from watching) but there are others that are truly much better than I am. I either have drastically less years in the game or drastically less mat time than they do. Hopefully, I'll be able to be a purple belt for a few more years to really perfect my game. There's no rush.

Saturday, April 9th, 2011

Visited US Grappling Chicago. Took tons of pics and vids and will have them here when I get them uploaded.

Sunday April 10th, 2011

Week 3 Upper 1

1. Bench Press: 195 x 6, 210 x 4, 230 x 6

2. BB Bench: 2 x Max Reps x 135 (26, 21)

3a. Bent-over 1-Arm DB Rows: 4x10 ea arm
3b. Skullcrushers: 4x10

4a. BB Shrugs (2 Sec Holds): 3x10
4b. Rear Delt Flyes: 3x12

5. Barbell Complex (deadlifts, bent rows, hang cleans, push press, back squat): 4 sets. Perform 10 reps of each exercise. Rest 90 sec. b/t sets.

Been Incredibly sick lately and haven't been able to do much of anything. Tried to train through it during my spring break but really pushed it too hard and now i'm out.

Tried to train today but ended up with this:

Thursday, April14th, 2011

Week 3 lower

Agile 8 warmup

Squat 8 x 265, 6 x 285, 2 x 310

I was blowing chunks out of my nose and hacking up brown chunks every time i coughed by this point. Called it quits. No assistance and no mile run.

Last edited:
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011

Missed technique, but I believe that I also missed a LOT of positional training. Thanks waste of time grad school class.

Rolling
Rolled about 4-5 x 6 min. rounds and around 4-5 x 1min. rounds defending or attacking the back. My back attacks felt real solid against blues and white belts. Constantly threaten the collar choke and know where I can and can't get choked by collar choke (make them fall into the choke)

Wednesday, April 20th, 2011

Feeling a bit better, hard to breathe deep, still stuffed up with a near constant headache. Hope its not serious.

Week 3 Upper 2

Quick session b/c I have week 4 upper 1 and bjj planned for tomorrow.

2a. BB Rows (Neutral Grip): 2 x Max Reps (115 x 20, 20)
2b. Pushups: 2 x Max Reps (25, 20)
3. Rear Delt Flyes: 4x10
4. “Run the rack” BB curls, palms up – 1 set (8 x 95, 85, 75, 70, 65, 45)

Back