Opinion The left is now the celebrity party?

Reagan hasn't been in office for thirty years. What helped him is probably what I said helped Trump; the near absence of any celebrities of note with openly conservative politics. If leftists celebrities ran for POTUS they'd split the vote badly but conservatives can close ranks behind their one celebrity of the age who appeals to them.

If anything my problem is that they aren't as left as I'd like them to be. Milano is shilling for the least progressive candidate in the Democratic primary just like all the major celebrities did when they backed Hillary. She even said "its not about policy."

The right would like celebrities of their own I imagine but their celebrity worship is dampened by the fact that they have almost no celebrities of note to actually worship. This is why, like @carlos cadona pointed out, though many decry the celebrity worship on the left some conservatives are quick to eat up the opinion of any halfwit C-list celebrity who panders to them.

Let's face it, the average American liberal would also be equally as sickened by the celebrities, as the American right-winger, if the majority of them were spouting their pro-life, pro-gun, anti-health care opinions in public, trying to use their influence in order to affect public opinion. It is what it is.

It just happens to be that, today, their careers are furthered by assuming the left-wing platform as their own. So 99% of them are on the left (superficially, atleast). 99% of them are also career-driven air-heads who don't really have a clue about matters of importance.

Under another set of circumstances, they could be holding entirely different opinions. The celebrity caste is such that it basically aligns with what is "main-line culture", because they need public acceptance in order to survive. A wrong move politically, could cost their whole career, alienating key demographics.

In that sense Trump is an oddity since he assumed a bit of a "counter-cultural" position in order to carve out a niche for himself, without any contending challengers. Which in the end has worked for him, but hasn't necessarily helped his "brand". Most celebrities wouldn't take such a risk. Their "brand" is everything to them, and they're not going to screw that up, just because of some political idea.

If they care that much about morality/virtue, then how does Harvey Weinstein and others in positions of power operate the way they have for decades? Had these Hollywood celebrities all joined up for the cause of "morality" and spoke out on national television to stop the sexual abuse culture going on in their own locale, they could've prevented future victims.

Yet the man in the White House that prompted these scandals to be brought to the public eye in the first place (whose actions pale in comparison from a moral standpoint) is the one they speak out about and rally to get rid of at all cost? Had Donald Trump not been president would Weinstein's sex abuses have even been brought out to light? Hollywood should be appreciative in that regard.

Or could it be that they actually don't want things to change in Hollywood and the people that lie for a living don't actually stand for what they say in front of the camera? When you're supporting Joe Biden, who has his own controversy with touching women and children, it's pretty much a dead giveaway.

When did musicians and celebrities ever like the right wing.

That Bob Dylan, Johnny cash and the Beatles sure were conservatives.

The right bitches about celebrities voting democrat but they jizz their pants anytime even the most washed up celebrity comes out as conservative.

1381672848__400x400__.jpg

Reagan hasn't been in office for thirty years. What helped him is probably what I said helped Trump; the near absence of any celebrities of note with openly conservative politics. If leftists celebrities ran for POTUS they'd split the vote badly but conservatives can close ranks behind their one celebrity of the age who appeals to them.

If anything my problem is that they aren't as left as I'd like them to be. Milano is shilling for the least progressive candidate in the Democratic primary just like all the major celebrities did when they backed Hillary. She even said "its not about policy."

The right would like celebrities of their own I imagine but their celebrity worship is dampened by the fact that they have almost no celebrities of note to actually worship. This is why, like @carlos cadona pointed out, though many decry the celebrity worship on the left some conservatives are quick to eat up the opinion of any halfwit C-list celebrity who panders to them.
Dead on. She's not even right for pragmatic purposes. Biden is basically Hillary but male (identity politics problem and dampened excitement compared to the prospect of electing the first female president), more gaffe prone, has arguably even worse policy positions and rhetoric, and has even MORE footage of him being a creep than Trump does. Trump has the "locker room talk" tape and the tape where he insinuates that he wants a contestant on Celebrity Apprentice to blow him. Biden has a ton of tapes where he creeps on women and prepubescent/pubescent girls. He would be a fucking disaster of a candidate. Bernie is authentic and populist and doesn't have these skeletons. And besides him, even Booty Judge or Harris would be much better candidates.

As a kid I always shook my head when I heard older people say shit like, “ this world is one fucked up place”

“This generation is doomed, you kids are useless”
“When we where young this shit never would have been allowed”

Now at 55 , I think this shit all the time, but I really believe it...

So, am I just an old fuck taking my place amongst the long line of nostalgic grumpy old men, or are things really fucked up?

Well you were born right after WW2 and you lived through Korea, Vietnam and both Gulf Wars... Do you really think it's worse now during a period of relative peace and record breaking prosperity just because a vocal groyp of rich lunatics don't like the President?

Let's face it, the average American liberal would also be equally as sickened by the celebrities, as the American right-winger, if the majority of them were spouting their pro-life, pro-gun, anti-health care opinions in public, trying to use their influence in order to affect public opinion. It is what it is.

It just happens to be that, today, their careers are furthered by assuming the left-wing platform as their own. So 99% of them are on the left (superficially, atleast). 99% of them are also career-driven air-heads who don't really have a clue about matters of importance.

Under another set of circumstances, they could be holding entirely different opinions. The celebrity caste is such that it basically aligns with what is "main-line culture", because they need public acceptance in order to survive. A wrong move politically, could cost their whole career, alienating key demographics.

In that sense Trump is an oddity since he assumed a bit of a "counter-cultural" position in order to carve out a niche for himself, without any contending challengers. Which in the end has worked for him, but hasn't necessarily helped his "brand". Most celebrities wouldn't take such a risk. Their "brand" is everything to them, and they're not going to screw that up, just because of some political idea.

The fatal flaw here is outspoken lefties are box office poison. Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Schumer and Seth Rogen have all destroyed their careers by getting too vitriolic about politics and Brie Larson is next.

It’s getting seriously hilarious that has been actors are now your fucking political pundits, and their opinion is, they could suck as president, they just have to win, against this evil evil man. You fucking looney toons done jumped the shark

If you are not a leftist in hollywood you will not get work. Period.

The fatal flaw here is outspoken lefties are box office poison. Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Schumer and Seth Rogen have all destroyed their careers by getting too vitriolic about politics and Brie Larson is next.

Yup, but this kind of a backlash didn't happen, until these people started pandering towards an increasingly radical direction, perhaps by mistake. Whoever worked as their consultant, probably made the miscalculation of thinking that going harder and harder left, was going to increase their fanbase, particularly amongst younger generations, who were previously estimated to be more and more "progressive".

However, the increasing right-wing meme/counter-culture that has developed on the internet, has turned the far-leftists into an open target. You have a bunch of people who literally make their livelihoods out of "destroying" the left.

It doesn't surprise me to see most celebrities aligning with establishment candidates like Biden, as a result of such failures. They're probably realizing that going far-left is not in their best financial interests. They want to stay closer to the middle so that they can still appeal to political moderates, while not being a bullseye target for the right-wingers on the internet.

In the end though, it could be another fuck-up, as Biden might turn into a target for both the right and the far-left. You may end up being less likely to be the target of heckling, for being a Sanders supporter, than a Biden supporter.

It’s a free country and she is allowed to talk all the stupid shit she wants to.

The real dumb shits are the people that give any weight to her stupid shit.

Sure and I think that should be the obvious implication of my post. As I said, conservatives don't like celebrity worship because few celebrities pander to them but presumably that would change if more mainstream celebrities were openly conservative and vice versa for liberals.

rofl, conservatives mad that celebrities are liberal and accuse them of celebrity worship, yet they elect and worship a fuckin reality tv star for their president.

you can't make this shit up. you just gotta be that fuckin stupid.

I just wish she would shut up because she is an idiot.

Donald Trump: definitely not a celebrity.
giphy.gif

I guess it's weird to see somebody point out the obvious, that the left loves celebrities that love the left
Wait, is Trump a msnbc pundit? No he’s your president

Sure and I think that should be the obvious implication of my post. As I said, conservatives don't like celebrity worship because few celebrities pander to them but presumably that would change if more mainstream celebrities were openly conservative and vice versa for liberals.

It's certainly hard to act as if conservatives nowadays would be so principled, as to turn down the chance of having a world-famous celebrity speak in their stead.

The few cases like Kanye West, etc. show that most conservative people are obviously very open to that. In fact I'm surprised that the market isn't being exploited more.

Likewise I reckon that we would get more calls for celebrities to just shut up, and mind their business, from the leftist ranks, if more celebrities started pulling for Trump.

In any case, it's not like we can take away somebody's freedom of speech, so we will just have to bear with celebrities and their inane opinions being given undeserved publicity, and deal with the consequences. Atleast most sports athletes seem to understand that they don't really have a clue on politics. Actors not so much.

If I suddenly became world-famous for something other than politics, I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable in using that platform to spread my political opinions. I would feel somewhat undeserving of having that sort of influence, just because I can kick a ball or portray a character on TV, and so forth. Most celebrities don't seem to have these sorts of considerations, though.

Last edited:
rofl, conservatives mad that celebrities are liberal and accuse them of celebrity worship, yet they elect and worship a fuckin reality tv star for their president.

you can't make this shit up. you just gotta be that fuckin stupid.

Lol at libs thinking celebrities have their best interests in mind.
Everyone is so mad at Trump for no reason that they look past how good of a job he's doing.

Back