The Last of Us: Part II (Release: 29.05.2020) - No spoilers

Are you excited for The Last of Us Part II?

• Yes, I'm excited.

• No, I'm not.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2077 isn't just the setting of the game, it's the release year

Imagine trying to compete with TLOU 2, possibly Death Stranding etc this year. Next year is free from big hitters and can sweep.

Yeah, 100% intrigued to see how this game is. The game looks great so far, and the combat looks as brutal as ever.

The only way this would have worked would be to leave them; to go postmodernist, and fracture the narrative with a different perspective.

Imagine a sequel set in the world with other survivors. We experience the whole event all over again, and the trauma suffered by our protagonist.

Fast forward. He/She is surviving in this world. We establish a close relationship with someone very dear. Maybe this person saved our protagonist, and taught him how to survive. They live on the outskirts. They avoid the oppression of the government that reigns. This mentor is a leader. He is a good. He is someone who instills hope around him. He makes life in this miserable hellhole worth living. Always sees the bright side. He is someone we believe could help change the world. Eventually we learn...this guy chose to become a Firefly. His great mission in life, and now also that of our protagonist, it to find a cure to the disease.

Then, in the first mission in the game, which sees us as the protagonist disembark with our mentor on a vital quest towards this goal, our mentor is bitten. We drag him out alive-- barely escaping some monstrous horde by the slimmest margin. Now, this person, the center of our world, is comatose. It's only a matter of time before he is gone; succumbs to the disease. We are crestfallen. It's the end of our world.

Then, through the grapevine, we get the only sliver of hope we've ever gotten. There is a rumor there is a girl who is immune. She could be it-- the great redemption, the cure. We hear the Fireflies have already begun to smuggle her to a hospital where she will be studied. Time is not on our side. We need to help her get where she needs to go. We need to get to the hospital. We need to get the cure ASAP.

Off we go. At points maybe we play a role, unbeknownst to Ellie and Joel in the first game, that was vital to them surviving on their way to the hospital. Ultimately, we arrive at the hospital. We learn the truth. To our horror, we discover we got there hours or even days too late. We learn that the man who guarded the girl murdered dozens of fireflies, and stole the girl away, rather than sacrifice just one measly life towards a cure. We are enraged.

We have a new quest. We are going to hunt this man down, kill him, capture the girl, and return her to the Fireflies in order to find the cure so that we can return and save the person who is the center of our world-- the one most dear to us. Not this Ellie.

Maybe once you find Ellie you tell her the truth. Then she learns that Joel was lying to her all along. Does she choose to go with you or her own volition? Do you kidnap her? We all know either way that once you do you will be fleeing Joel who is hunting you down to get her back.

Think of the possibilities for narrative choices this would present. Suddenly the person you played as the protagonist in the first game is the great antagonist in the second game. Can you change Joel's mind? If you don't, what do you do? Do you seek revenge for the sake of revenge?

I remember some game on xbox 360/ps3 actually doing this(villain was the hero of the first game)

And of course the old pokemon game on gameboy where the final boss is the main character from the first game

Not especially. I couldn't get into the first one but I powered through it. I'll probably get during a price drop

I don't know exactly when it's going to be released, but hopefully it's this year. I believe The Last of Us is the best game ever made and I hope Part II lives up to the first. So are you guys pumped for it?

Sjw: the game. Fuck no I’m not excited for it.

The idea that you can't make a sequel to a story and character driven game is silly to me. It's been done throughout every creative medium with great success.

Anyway will probably be picking this up day one whenever it releases

I'm excited for it, but concerned it's going to be 'Woke.'

Apparently the game's director, who's also the dirwctor of the original, is a huge fan of Anita Sarkesian and her 'Wokeness.'

I'm 100% cool with Ellie being lesbian, but I'm wondering if they're going to too far into commentary of social politics.

I'm excited for it, but concerned it's going to be 'Woke.'

Apparently the game's director, who's also the dirwctor of the original, is a huge fan of Anita Sarkesian and her 'Wokeness.'

I'm 100% cool with Ellie being lesbian, but I'm wondering if they're going to too far into commentary of social politics.
The game, like the first game, is complete and utter garbage.

Another user said it best, its SJW:The Game.

Possibly my favorite game of the decade, but this one pushes too much political garbage. At least it seems that way. And not really feeling like playing as El the whole way through. Either Joel or some new characters would have been more to my liking.

Gonna wait to see what some of my favorite reviewers say first. Hopefully it's just that the trailers and limited gameplay footage show that side, and not the whole game through. Basically, I'm in the middle of the road on this one.

Last edited:
I remember some game on xbox 360/ps3 actually doing this(villain was the hero of the first game)
Does anyone know which games he's talking about, here?

I'm intrigued. I couldn't think of any off the top of my head. I found this. Do you see it, here, @Cole train?
https://whatculture.com/gaming/9-video-game-heroes-who-turned-evil-in-the-sequel?page=2
  1. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (Kain)
  2. Metal Gear Solid series (Big Boss)
  3. Prototype 2 (Alex Mercer)
  4. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (Gabriel)
  5. Liu Kang (Mortal Kombat X)
  6. Time Crisis 5 (Robert Baxter)
  7. Tekken 6 (Kazuya)
  8. Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel (Salem)
  9. Resident Evil 5 (Jill Valentine)

Does anyone know which games he's talking about, here?

I'm intrigued. I couldn't think of any off the top of my head. I found this. Do you see it, here, @Cole train?
https://whatculture.com/gaming/9-video-game-heroes-who-turned-evil-in-the-sequel?page=2
  1. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (Kain)
  2. Metal Gear Solid series (Big Boss)
  3. Prototype 2 (Alex Mercer)
  4. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (Gabriel)
  5. Liu Kang (Mortal Kombat X)
  6. Time Crisis 5 (Robert Baxter)
  7. Tekken 6 (Kazuya)
  8. Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel (Salem)
  9. Resident Evil 5 (Jill Valentine)

Prototype 2

It was meant as a joke, the first is my favourite game of all time, but those are the criticism people are throwing at it.
I haven't seen anyone criticize the first game on SJW grounds. They are apprehensive due to the nature of the extended trailer for Part II, and I would argue that is a well couched reservation in the context of the rhetoric that has come out of Silicon Valley the past several years, including from game publisher/developer executives, even studio heads, including a marriage of that rhetoric to disastrous #woke storylines actually implemented in released games (ex. Battlefield V). It's not just words, and guys like GSM are not imagining it. This political agenda is real, it's corrosive, and it is demonstrable.

I haven't seen anyone criticize the first game on SJW grounds. They are apprehensive due to the nature of the extended trailer for Part II, and I would argue that is a well couched reservation in the context of the rhetoric that has come out of Silicon Valley the past several years, including from game publisher/developer executives, even studio heads, including a marriage of that rhetoric to disastrous #woke storylines actually implemented in released games (ex. Battlefield V). It's not just words, and guys like GSM are not imagining it. This political agenda is real, it's corrosive, and it is demonstrable.
I fully agree. The first was a time before the whole SJW thing if iirc but I was pertaining to TLOU as a whole (1 and 2). And the director is a huge fan of the Anitta woman, who spouts nonsense.
Id go as far as to say thats why they probably hired a trans person to act as one of the characters, more Asian representation and they actually made one of the female characters jacked as hell to demonstrate "woman strength" when it doesnt make sense that someone foraging for food, etc isnt getting their daily dose of protein, heavy lifting schedule, and dieting on point.

Is she still a thing? I thought people had largely moved past that shyster. She never even finished her series did she?

Is she still a thing? I thought people had largely moved past that shyster. She never even finished her series did she?

She's a thing behind the scenes, as a consultant.

She visited Bioware during the development of Mass Effect Andromeda, and Bethesda during the planning stages of Dishonored 2.

Look at those games, the mistakes were made by the developers, how they were poorly received by fans, and draw your own conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back