The Last of Us: Part II (Release: 29.05.2020) - No spoilers

Are you excited for The Last of Us Part II?

• Yes, I'm excited.

• No, I'm not.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, it was perfect for me. Had no issues moving on from them. I went through their story and it left me completely satisfied. They were going on to live their lives in my mind and that was it.

Just reading the boat captain's journals were enough to have me dying for other characters to explore. Let's see what's happening in a different part of the world, which would be almost impossible to explore through Joel and Ellie. All these amazing side characters that you met throughout the game from so many different walks of life, there was so much to explore.

Positive though is the attachment already established to the characters and they just have to spend time reestablishing who they are now versus completely introducing new protagonists.

I've gotten over my disappointment and maybe I'll get my wish in some DLC or something.

Im gonna definitely replay the game again before the sequel, and imo, it may be more interesting exploring other survivors etc, but we've become really attached to Joel and Ellie. The story was concluded from our side, but for them there is some left to tell, theyre still alive, and surviving.

I, too, was left satisfied with the end, and thought a sequel would tarnish it, but when I truly thought about it, it madesense to me that they could explore other themes etc with the characters as they go on with their lives.

And imo, Im really looking forward to the MP portion, and I hope it stays faithful and fleshes out the MP in better ways instead of bloating it like they did with the uncharted titles.

I can relate to Madmick on some level in that I didn't want Ellie and Joel's story continued. It ended perfectly for me. Then thinking about how they essentially had the entire world to explore, reading about the other survivors, it just seemed ripe to explore completely new characters.

I definitely agree that it was a perfect ending. It really elevated an otherwise run of the mill zombie apocalypse story. It really was perfect. I only disagree with the notion that it couldn't possibly be expanded upon, and that further exploration of the universe or characters is a slap in the face. The characters were left in a place that welcomes further exploration, but in fairness, I can see why some would want it left alone because the magic in it's ending is not getting those answers, and leaving it to the imagination.

That said, I don't think that kind of passion is warranted in a videogame setting, and if you stubbornly skip out on this sequel, you're likely going to miss out on a bunch of videogame elements that will probably elevate it above it's predecessor, while getting to experience a story that may indeed properly follow up the saga. It might not of course, but I think it will be worth playing to find out.

Im gonna definitely replay the game again before the sequel, and imo, it may be more interesting exploring other survivors etc, but we've become really attached to Joel and Ellie. The story was concluded from our side, but for them there is some left to tell, theyre still alive, and surviving.

I, too, was left satisfied with the end, and thought a sequel would tarnish it, but when I truly thought about it, it madesense to me that they could explore other themes etc with the characters as they go on with their lives.

And imo, Im really looking forward to the MP portion, and I hope it stays faithful and fleshes out the MP in better ways instead of bloating it like they did with the uncharted titles.
I definitely agree that it was a perfect ending. It really elevated an otherwise run of the mill zombie apocalypse story. It really was perfect. I only disagree with the notion that it couldn't possibly be expanded upon, and that further exploration of the universe or characters is a slap in the face. The characters were left in a place that welcomes further exploration, but in fairness, I can see why some would want it left alone because the magic in it's ending is not getting those answers, and leaving it to the imagination.

That said, I don't think that kind of passion is warranted in a videogame setting, and if you stubbornly skip out on this sequel, you're likely going to miss out on a bunch of videogame elements that will probably elevate it above it's predecessor, while getting to experience a story that may indeed properly follow up the saga. It might not of course, but I think it will be worth playing to find out.
I should clarify that I don't think continuing their story is going to negatively affect my feelings on the original game. That's not why I wanted new characters. I just wanted to see what else Naughty Dog could do because I thought that the story was told so well with Joel and Ellie. They could have explored lots of new territory with new characters.

I also think skipping this game because of those reasons is a terrible mistake to make and a ridiculous hill to die on. I could just understand not wanting to see their story continue but for different reasons.

I should clarify that I don't think continuing their story is going to negatively affect my feelings on the original game. That's not why I wanted new characters. I just wanted to see what else Naughty Dog could do because I thought that the story was told so well with Joel and Ellie. They could have explored lots of new territory with new characters.

I also think skipping this game because of those reasons is a terrible mistake to make and a ridiculous hill to die on. I could just understand not wanting to see their story continue but for different reasons.

Yeah, I can see both sides. In a way I admire them sticking with the original characters, because it does invite criticism of them ruining a tight story. On the other hand, if they had just made another story with new characters, it would seem like a cheap cash in. There's no risk to doing a sequel with new characters. They'd just be capitalizing on the franchise name. By continuing the characters' story, it could go either way, and I appreciate the confidence.

It's weird, because if it was a movie I'd share @Madmick's sentiments. I think with games though, you can make up for a lot if the story doesn't quite hit the right note. I'm willing to give the story more of a chance, because I know the gameplay will more than make up for it, and in this case the story is being handled by the right people, so I don't expect anything less than something, that at the very least, will be satisfactory to the whole experience.

Definitely going to get this! Sooo hyped up for it!

Blows my mind that anyone who enjoyed TLOU 1 would not be looking forward to chapter 2. For me personally, this and cyberpunk are my two most anticipated games of 2019. I’ve started replaying TLOU 1 again for the 10th time in anticipation of chapter 2.

Yeah, I can see both sides. In a way I admire them sticking with the original characters, because it does invite criticism of them ruining a tight story. On the other hand, if they had just made another story with new characters, it would seem like a cheap cash in. There's no risk to doing a sequel with new characters. They'd just be capitalizing on the franchise name. By continuing the characters' story, it could go either way, and I appreciate the confidence.

It's weird, because if it was a movie I'd share @Madmick's sentiments. I think with games though, you can make up for a lot if the story doesn't quite hit the right note. I'm willing to give the story more of a chance, because I know the gameplay will more than make up for it, and in this case the story is being handled by the right people, so I don't expect anything less than something, that at the very least, will be satisfactory to the whole experience.
I don’t agree at all it would be cheap to go with new characters. Ellie and Joel are now iconic video game characters. Replacing them would possibly hurt sales from people being turned off by not having them in the game.

To use another movie analogy, look at what happened to Halloween 3. People lost their shit and panned the movie because Michael Myers wasn’t in it. When in reality it was likely the best sequel they ever produced. Going back to the establishment produced nothing but trash for the most part. But it was cheap and easy.

It takes a tremendous risk to remove establish characters and go with something new. There is a risk of upsetting fans with the direction you take those established characters but nowhere near what it could be to replace them.

I don’t agree at all it would be cheap to go with new characters. Ellie and Joel are now iconic video game characters. Replacing them would possibly hurt sales from people being turned off by not having them in the game.

I see what you're saying, but replacing them(as risky as it would be), could be seen as cashing in on a popular franchise, with nothing linking is to he established universe other the the TLOU trademark. Which it would likely be. By continuing the story with the original creators, it opens them up to far more scrutiny.

At the time, Joel and Ellie were new. TLOU was hyped due to ND working on it, the E3 gameplay, and fresh off the heels of UC3, a great game, and UC2, one of the best games ever.

ND just have that star power, and talent that they could do whatever, and itll sell.

Whats funny is that the ones that voted no, are gonna be the ones that buy this day one.
<{cruzshake}>
Not me anyways. I'm not trying to talk shit on it for anyone, I just never could get into ND games. Enjoy though, I am sure if you do like ND then you are going to love it

No. I thought the story of the first was extremely predictable (full of tropes) and very Hollywood (you can see far ahead of time where the opening was going, pretty much from the start, which didn't bode well for the rest) and the gameplay wasn't anything out of the ordinary. The game heavily relies on storytelling, and because I didn't connect to it the game as a whole didn't grab me.
Given all that the sequel isn't on my radar. Naughty Dog's stuff isn't for me, I feel too restrained with their games.

I can relate to Madmick on some level in that I didn't want Ellie and Joel's story continued. It ended perfectly for me. Then thinking about how they essentially had the entire world to explore, reading about the other survivors, it just seemed ripe to explore completely new characters.

That said, I absolutely wanted a sequel and there is absolutely zero chance I'd miss this game. Especially given Naughty Dog's track record with smashing their first entries in a series with a sequel.
The only way this would have worked would be to leave them; to go postmodernist, and fracture the narrative with a different perspective.

Imagine a sequel set in the world with other survivors. We experience the whole event all over again, and the trauma suffered by our protagonist.

Fast forward. He/She is surviving in this world. We establish a close relationship with someone very dear. Maybe this person saved our protagonist, and taught him how to survive. They live on the outskirts. They avoid the oppression of the government that reigns. This mentor is a leader. He is a good. He is someone who instills hope around him. He makes life in this miserable hellhole worth living. Always sees the bright side. He is someone we believe could help change the world. Eventually we learn...this guy chose to become a Firefly. His great mission in life, and now also that of our protagonist, it to find a cure to the disease.

Then, in the first mission in the game, which sees us as the protagonist disembark with our mentor on a vital quest towards this goal, our mentor is bitten. We drag him out alive-- barely escaping some monstrous horde by the slimmest margin. Now, this person, the center of our world, is comatose. It's only a matter of time before he is gone; succumbs to the disease. We are crestfallen. It's the end of our world.

Then, through the grapevine, we get the only sliver of hope we've ever gotten. There is a rumor there is a girl who is immune. She could be it-- the great redemption, the cure. We hear the Fireflies have already begun to smuggle her to a hospital where she will be studied. Time is not on our side. We need to help her get where she needs to go. We need to get to the hospital. We need to get the cure ASAP.

Off we go. At points maybe we play a role, unbeknownst to Ellie and Joel in the first game, that was vital to them surviving on their way to the hospital. Ultimately, we arrive at the hospital. We learn the truth. To our horror, we discover we got there hours or even days too late. We learn that the man who guarded the girl murdered dozens of fireflies, and stole the girl away, rather than sacrifice just one measly life towards a cure. We are enraged.

We have a new quest. We are going to hunt this man down, kill him, capture the girl, and return her to the Fireflies in order to find the cure so that we can return and save the person who is the center of our world-- the one most dear to us. Not this Ellie.

Maybe once you find Ellie you tell her the truth. Then she learns that Joel was lying to her all along. Does she choose to go with you or her own volition? Do you kidnap her? We all know either way that once you do you will be fleeing Joel who is hunting you down to get her back.

Think of the possibilities for narrative choices this would present. Suddenly the person you played as the protagonist in the first game is the great antagonist in the second game. Can you change Joel's mind? If you don't, what do you do? Do you seek revenge for the sake of revenge?

I wasn't really feeling the first game at all so don't really care about the second. What I will say though is the ending of TLOU is the only thing that really worked for me. I can totally see why people wouldn't want the story continued

No. I thought the story of the first was extremely predictable (full of tropes) and very Hollywood (you can see far ahead of time where the opening was going, pretty much from the start, which didn't bode well for the rest) and the gameplay wasn't anything out of the ordinary. The game heavily relies on storytelling, and because I didn't connect to it the game as a whole didn't grab me.
Given all that the sequel isn't on my radar. Naughty Dog's stuff isn't for me, I feel too restrained with their games.

How would you make the story unpredictable?

TBH I just can't get into ND games. They're very well made, but I just don't enjoy the gameplay
I always thought Nathan Drake was a boring character. It also didn’t make sense how an average guy had the skills and fighting prowess to take out an entire mercenary army. Maybe he does have a good backstory to enforce that, but he’s doesn’t radiate those traits or abilities with that personality and appearance.

Last edited:
I haven't even beaten the first one yet. I got to the water plant and snow level a few years ago. Not sure how much is left.

I haven’t been following the game that much lately, but last I heard a 2019 release date seemed entirely possible. But I guess 2020 seems more accurate.
2077 isn't just the setting of the game, it's the release year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back