The Jones Situation Handled Correctly

I don't hate Jones.
I don't like Jones.

So I am impartial, however you cannot have a champion with a DUI also test positive for cocaine which is a highly illegal. I think it really shows the hypocrisy of the UFC for kicking guy's like Riddle for weed. The way this is being handled shows the true problems with the UFC.

If we love you we will work with you, If you are average we don't give a shit you are gone.

riddle tested positive twice after fights. he had 2 fuckin no contests on his record in 3 fights.

riddle tested positive twice after fights. he had 2 fuckin no contests on his record in 3 fights.

Ok, I can give you that. Had he tested once that would be different. I get Riddle. What about Diaz being suspended for a year? However the point remains the same. Weed is fucking completely legal where I live, whereas cocaine is highly illegal everywhere. Also he had his chance earlier with his DUI. He should have kept his nose clean (no pun intended) and help to set a champions example for this sport which he is an ambassador of. So there are two strikes right there.

If you do not think the UFC is being hypocrites here in this situation you are fucking blind. Look rehab is great. If he has a coke problem then best of luck to him. I think at minimum he needs a year suspension. I think the UFC not punishing him really shows how much of a hypocrite they are to their own favorites.

If you do not think the UFC is being hypocrites here in this situation you are blind. Look rehab is great. If he has a coke problem then best of luck to him. I think at minimum he needs a year suspension. I think the UFC not punishing him really shows how much of a hypocrite they are to their own favorites.

Spot on.

I see a lot of people posting that Jones should be suspended. I couldn't agree less. The weed argument is moot because the weed suspensions are just straight up wrong. That being said, the commission has ruled marijuana a PED and they have not said the same of cocaine. I realize this seems counterintuitive but these are the rules.

Should the UFC suspend him for personal conduct? Well I guess they have made their position clear that they feel Jones is living up to their standard by entering into treatment. The fact is, if Jones is having trouble with drug addiction and wants help, he should be supported. The UFC and Reebok agree. He will come through this a better man and hopefully give inspiration to others with substance abuse issues.

If he passes his post-fight drug test, then he should be fighting by the early summer/late spring. I'll be cheering for him and look forward to seeing more of his magnificence. Social issues like these are complicated in professional situations but I tend to believe that we should support those seeking help.

If you think for 1 minute that Jones voluntarily decided he is going into rehab, you are naive my friend. He got caught and is on the verge of losing a significant amount of money from reebok. the UFC is also in a position where they have to do damage control.

Dana probably said....you are going to go to *in rehab and you're going to say it publicly.

Ok, I can give you that. Had he tested once that would be different. I get Riddle. What about Diaz being suspended for a year? However the point remains the same. Weed is fucking completely legal where I live, whereas cocaine is highly illegal everywhere. Also he had his chance earlier with his DUI. He should have kept his nose clean (no pun intended) and help to set a champions example for this sport which he is an ambassador of. So there are two strikes right there.

If you do not think the UFC is being hypocrites here in this situation you are fucking blind. Look rehab is great. If he has a coke problem then best of luck to him. I think at minimum he needs a year suspension. I think the UFC not punishing him really shows how much of a hypocrite they are to their own favorites.

again, i don't know how this can be more clear. the ac suspended diaz for failing THEIR test under their rules for COMPETITION. the ufc would NEVER have suspended diaz on their own for smoking fuckin weed. they KNOW he smokes weed. he FLAUNTS that he smokes weed. they don't give a FUCK. the AC does give a fuck when it violates THEIR rules.

the ufc did nothing wrong indeed, but do you think if there was another fighter that tested positive that didn't have a name like jones, that he wouldn't have been pulled and suspended?

jon jones was in contravention of the ufc code of conduct .. the ufc could have acted, but it would have hurt their pocket ....

Agreed. Drug addiction is a medical issue and Jones needs serious help not scorn. And I hate Jones more than anybody on this site.

again, i don't know how this can be more clear. the ac suspended diaz for failing THEIR test under their rules for COMPETITION. the ufc would NEVER have suspended diaz on their own for smoking fuckin weed. they KNOW he smokes weed. he FLAUNTS that he smokes weed. they don't give a FUCK. the AC does give a fuck when it violates THEIR rules.

So you are ok with a DUI coke head champion representing your sport and sponsors. Good for you and guess what I am a long time fan also and I have an opinion. It may not resemble yours and that is ok because we are two different mentalities. Differing opinions are great.

However as a fan of MMA for almost 20 years now I am against this decision. I do not support the UFC and Jones in their decision. I think they are frauds and I think they are hypocrites and I may choose to no longer support the UFC (not MMA) in general because I cannot support an organization thats basic principals operate like picking sides for a dodgeball game.

the ufc did nothing wrong indeed, but do you think if there was another fighter that tested positive that didn't have a name like jones, that he wouldn't have been pulled and suspended?

jon jones was in contravention of the ufc code of conduct .. the ufc could have acted, but it would have hurt their pocket ....

has anyone ever been pulled from a fight and suspended in such a fashion for a similar violation?

So you are ok with a DUI coke head champion representing your sport and sponsors. Good for you and guess what I am a long time fan also and I have an opinion. It may not resemble yours and that is ok because we are two different mentalities. Differing opinions are great.

However as a fan of MMA for almost 20 years now I am against this decision. I do not support the UFC and Jones in their decision. I think they are frauds and I think they are hypocrites and I may choose to no longer support the UFC (not MMA) because I cannot support an organization thats basic principals operate like picking sides for a dodgeball game.

i understand your personal position on jones. however, that doesn't mean you're not wrong when you compare situations and call them hypocrites and frauds. you didn't actually address ANYTHING i said. i didn't give an opinion. i actually gave you facts.

JBJ haters want him suspended and nuthuggers think it was handled correctly. I for one am NOT a fan of JBJ. I never have been and I never will be. While I do not want him banned from the sport or anything of that nature I feel the UFC is only trying to save face. Dana/Reebok/UFC etc. are showing us their true colors. If this was anyone else they would have been gone. Yes being the champ and one of the best p4p right now should get you some special privileges but this will leave a bad taste in the mouth of the fans and fighters. If anything this shows that the NSAC is a joke (which we all pretty much knew) and that the UFC is only about the money.

We all knew this but being a fan of the UFC for as long I am just disappointed in the way this is being handled. I won't kick a man when he's down. If JBJ really has a problem then I wish him the best in his recovery but he has to pay the same consequences as everyone else.

Sorry, but that's stupid.
If he came up to Dana and said "I have a cocaine issue and I'll get help", that's one thing.

but he GOT CAUGHT!!!!

UFC and rebook are trying to save face!

They should have canceled the fight the SECOND they were told of his test results.

We all know this is a circus and they couldn't care less about Jon, as long as he brings $$$$$ to their bank accounts.

the fact that they swept this under the rug b4 the fight is shameful

fact is coke is a performance enhancer jones should be suspended fined is behavior is out of control and now I can see why he acts like he does his bipolar personality hes a coke addict

recovering from an addiction is very hard and changes a person I wonder if we will see the same jones

JBJ haters want him suspended and nuthuggers think it was handled correctly. I for one am NOT a fan of JBJ. I never have been and I never will be. While I do not want him banned from the sport or anything of that nature I feel the UFC is only trying to save face. Dana/Reebok/UFC etc. are showing us their true colors. If this was anyone else they would have been gone. Yes being the champ and one of the best p4p right now should get you some special privileges but this will leave a bad taste in the mouth of the fans and fighters. If anything this shows that the NSAC is a joke (which we all pretty much knew) and that the UFC is only about the money.

We all knew this but being a fan of the UFC for as long I am just disappointed in the way this is being handled. I won't kick a man when he's down. If JBJ really has a problem then I wish him the best in his recovery but he has to pay the same consequences as everyone else.

what does "would have been gone" mean?

has anyone ever been pulled from a fight and suspended in such a fashion for a similar violation?

don't know ... how many people have been caught doing illegal drugs that weren't banned out of competition? the ufc has a code of conduct, and jones contravened that ... the ufc seems to only use the COC when it won't hurt their pocket ...

If he came up to Dana and said "I have a cocaine issue and I'll get help", that's one thing.

but he GOT CAUGHT!!!!

They should have canceled the fight the SECOND they were told of his test results.

We all know this is a circus and they couldn't care less about Jon, as long as he brings $$$$$ to their bank accounts.

1. There is no rule against having cocaine metabolites in your system in out of competition testing.
2. As a result of the rules established by the sanctioning body for this fight event the AC that received the out of competition had no obligation to report to the UFC on the matter.
3. Even if the AC did elect to voluntarily release Jon's OOC test (given not being specifically illegal in the USA) the financial fallout of the cancellation would fall entirely on the UFC and zero on Jon. I fail to see how you can be so naive?
- This was by far one of the highest $$$ pre-fight productions leading up to this event. The cancellation would cost the UFC a fortune. It gets WAY WORSE.
4. Given (AGAIN!) that there IS NO RULE AGAINST this OOC test result by the commission, it legally must be made 100% clear to the public that the cancellation was a result of the UFC acting independently from the AC and employing a stricter standard than them.

- This brings the potential legal issue of the release of the data to the UFC by the Commission to the front.

Got caught? WTF? Just no.

He could have also tested positive for a urinary track infection. It is amazing that some of you need to know that Sh--!

The AC give the UFC that a fighters poo-poo stinks, and the UFC takes it upon themselves to cancel an event!

WOW!

don't know ... how many people have been caught doing illegal drugs that weren't banned out of competition? the ufc has a code of conduct, and jones contravened that ... the ufc seems to only use the COC when it won't hurt their pocket ...

matt riddle failed his FIRST POST FIGHT drug test he was suspended 90 days by the AC. he had 5 months between fights.

but he GOT CAUGHT!!!!

Good post.

Jones`s blind nuthuggers have jumped from "Eye pokes are accidental" to "Coke usage is no biggie".

The UFC suspended Alex Caceres six months for smoking weed.

I don't know if it's truly hypocrisy, or if they measure your worth to the company versus the damage done by your actions. Obviously, Jones being the LHW Champ means he has a major profile right now, but with the right spin, and the history of people treating Bones as a heel, UFC decided it's not worth coming down on him. It might be unfair, but that happens in all walks of life. The more money you can make your bosses, the more forgiveness you are afforded.

Back