The Jones Situation Handled Correctly

blazerkor

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I see a lot of people posting that Jones should be suspended. I couldn't agree less. The weed argument is moot because the weed suspensions are just straight up wrong. That being said, the commission has ruled marijuana a PED and they have not said the same of cocaine. I realize this seems counterintuitive but these are the rules.

Should the UFC suspend him for personal conduct? Well I guess they have made their position clear that they feel Jones is living up to their standard by entering into treatment. The fact is, if Jones is having trouble with drug addiction and wants help, he should be supported. The UFC and Reebok agree. He will come through this a better man and hopefully give inspiration to others with substance abuse issues.

If he passes his post-fight drug test, then he should be fighting by the early summer/late spring. I'll be cheering for him and look forward to seeing more of his magnificence. Social issues like these are complicated in professional situations but I tend to believe that we should support those seeking help.

People think the regulations should be retroactively changed so Jones can be banned from the sport. Lol.

I'll agree once Gustafsson slams him around the cage.

I see a lot of people posting that Jones should be suspended. I couldn't agree less. The weed argument is moot because the weed suspensions are just straight up wrong. That being said, the commission has ruled marijuana a PED and they have not said the same of cocaine. I realize this seems counterintuitive but these are the rules.

Should the UFC suspend him for personal conduct? Well I guess they have made their position clear that they feel Jones is living up to their standard by entering into treatment. The fact is, if Jones is having trouble with drug addiction and wants help, he should be supported. The UFC and Reebok agree. He will come through this a better man and hopefully give inspiration to others with substance abuse issues.

If he passes his post-fight drug test, then he should be fighting by the early summer/late spring. I'll be cheering for him and look forward to seeing more of his magnificence. Social issues like these are complicated in professional situations but I tend to believe that we should support those seeking help.

Sanest whitebelt thread in history.

"Your argument is moot because that shit is straight up wrong! But rules are the rules."

lSqkkKd.gif

I'll agree once Gustafsson slams him around the cage.

Jones is going to run through Gus and it's going to be really ugly for Gus fans and that's if the beast known as Rumble doesn't pummel the Swede. Don't get me wrong I put Gus in the top five but the gap between Jones and the rest is huge. Jones didn't take the first Gus fight seriously and he won't make the mistake again.

Last edited:
White belts... gotta love them

The Jones situation was not handled correctly, he should not be suspended but he also should not have been allowed to fight. I don't place that blame on the UFC but on the NSAC as their job is to ensure the safety of the fighters and to make rules and regulations to help ensure their safety.

Weed isn't listed as a PED by the Athletic Commissions just like Coke isn't. The biggest difference between the two is that cocaine represents a serious health risk to the user that weed doesn't. This whole "out of competition" thing that the NSAC is using is idiotic as this happened a month ago while in training camp, that should definitely be considered a part of the in competition time as MMA isn't like other sports that have a clear "off season"

With that said, DC must really feel worse knowing he couldn't defeat a cokehead.

Sorry, but that's stupid.
If he came up to Dana and said "I have a cocaine issue and I'll get help", that's one thing.

but he GOT CAUGHT!!!!

UFC and rebook are trying to save face!

They should have canceled the fight the SECOND they were told of his test results.

We all know this is a circus and they couldn't care less about Jon, as long as he brings $$$$$ to their bank accounts.

Sorry but I don't let Jones off the hook for entering rehab, he got caught and that's the only reason he is. They should take his belt and shelf him for a year. I do wish him well and hope he kicks this thing though.

If I was Matt Riddle I would be the most pissed being cut for weed.

This will come up in the antitrust lawsuits. They protected their champion to ensure he was able to fight and prevent loses while destroying the career of another fighter over a lesser infraction similar in nature.

Sorry, but that's stupid.
If he came up to Dana and said "I have a cocaine issue and I'll get help", that's one thing.

but he GOT CAUGHT!!!!

UFC and rebook are trying to save face!

They should have canceled the fight the SECOND they were told of his test results.

We all know this is a circus and they couldn't care less about Jon, as long as he brings $$$$$ to their bank accounts.

Summed up perfectly.

This will come up in the antitrust lawsuits. They protected their champion to ensure he was able to fight and prevent loses while destroying the career of another fighter over a lesser infraction similar in nature.

Didn't he test positive during a competitive period? If so, it's in the rule book, not saying it's right but it's the rules. He was also a serial offender, he could have learnt from his first mistake.

lol - yeah, the ac rules will come up in antitrust.

I don't hate Jones.
I don't like Jones.

So I am impartial, however you cannot have a champion with a DUI also test positive for cocaine which is highly illegal whereas weed is completely legal where I live. I think it really shows the hypocrisy of the UFC for kicking guy's like Riddle for weed. The way this is being handled shows the true problems with the UFC.

If we love you we will work with you, If you are average we don't give a shit you are gone.

Didn't he test positive during a competitive period? If so, it's in the rule book, not saying it's right but it's the rules. He was also a serial offender, he could have learnt from his first mistake.

when else did he test positive?

Back