The Irish showing love for their greatest athletes

People don't realise that just because Conor is famous worldwide doesn't mean he's more famous in Ireland than other Irish athletes.

Roy Keane (football), Brian O'Driscoll (Rugby), Katie Taylor (Boxer), Rory McIlroy (Golf), Ronan O'Gara (Rugby), Sonia O'Sullivan (athletics), Robbie Keane (football), Paul McGrath (football) etc...

All of these and many others would be household names in Ireland and would be generally far more revered here than McGregor.

Is there really a huge talent pool for featherweight/lightweight MMA?

Probably the deepest talent pools in MMA, + 135 lbs.

If we're talking talent pools, then the sport with the greatest talent pool of them all is football (i.e. soccer). And you could probably pick a list of a dozen footballers who are more accomplished than Conor McGregor.

And none of them tried for Olympic soccer. Nobody gives a shit about Olympic soccer.

I'd argue rugby also has a much greater talent pool internationally than MMA, and Ireland has one of the best rugby teams in the world. So surely that puts at dozens of Irish rugby players ahead of Conor McGregor.

Don't know about Olympic rugby. But I'd like to see some comparative stats before I buy that it is bigger than MMA.

Im a Conor fan because he is by far the coolest, manliest and most charismatic fighter ever but im not a nuthugger of his like you.
You need to change your location to: In a closet

"Manliest"

Lmao. Conor gets mobbed with love in real life. Internet losers don't represent the real world.

Like i said most of ireland hates him now he lost like 80 percent of the support he had over here. There is still a few low lifes that love him and support but the days where he's fights where like national events are over.

thats cold. even if conman is a parody of himself these days he still brought honor to his people by winning the fw and lw belt
It's sad if anyone consider's him bringing "honor" with the public persona/behavior he put on, how he's reacted in defeat (or gloated in victory), and how bad a role-model he is.

Like i said most of ireland hates him now he lost like 80 percent of the support he had over here. There is still a few low lifes that love him and support but the days where he's fights where like national events are over.
Nonsense.

Probably the deepest talent pools in MMA, + 135 lbs.

And none of them tried for Olympic soccer. Nobody gives a shit about Olympic soccer.

Don't know about Olympic rugby. But I'd like to see some comparative stats before I buy that it is bigger than MMA.
I wasn't talking in particular about Olympic soccer and rugby. Just addressing the more general point of whether McGregor is the greatest Irish athlete of all time. He isn't.

Who the fook are the rest of them? and lol @ half of the list being women.

Ireland does have some decent athletes though. Their rugby team is quite good, they've had some very good boxers over the years and some good footballers also.

Disrespectful to your nations greatest ever athlete. I dont know who any of those other people are tbh and neither does 99% of people outside Ireland.
Yes, little boy, you're right. That's because 99% of population are stupid and only follow useless celebrities. I'm sure all those 99% you have mentioned knows who Kardashian is...

Olympic rugby isnt proper rugby. Its sevens which is a spin off game that nobody really cares about, kind of like arena football to American football.

Actual rugby is going to have several times the talent pool of most combat sports combined though.

What are you talking about? Conor McGregor is no where near their greatest athlete. That’s so disrespectful it’s unreal

Edit: https://www.irishpost.com/news/14-of-the-greatest-irish-sportsmen-of-all-time-77044
That’s ignoring Rory Mcllroy who’s also better than Conor
Half those sports are only played in ireland so dont really count. Rugby is only taken seriously by about 5 countries so that doesnt really count either. Golf is not a sport and Mcllroy isnt really irish anyway. So that only leaves a few soccer players and the 2 boxers. Ireland never won anything of note in soccer so not sure how you could argue they were better, Roy Keane was the original Biles pulling out when his country needed him due to mental health issues so he certainly isnt the greatest.

The 2 boxers on that list were very good but neither can claim to have dethroned a goat in their prime like Conor did, sure they beat Eubank and Pedroza but both were slightly on the decline when they beat them.

I wasn't talking in particular about Olympic soccer and rugby. Just addressing the more general point of whether McGregor is the greatest Irish athlete of all time. He isn't.

You were questioning if he is greater than an Olympic gold medalist. That I was responding to, not GOAT athlete.

Half those sports are only played in ireland so dont really count. Rugby is only taken seriously by about 5 countries so that doesnt really count either. Golf is not a sport and Mcllroy isnt really irish anyway. So that only leaves a few soccer players and the 2 boxers. Ireland never won anything of note in soccer so not sure how you could argue they were better, Roy Keane was the original Biles pulling out when his country needed him due to mental health issues so he certainly isnt the greatest.

The 2 boxers on that list were very good but neither can claim to have dethroned a goat in their prime like Conor did, sure they beat Eubank and Pedroza but both were slightly on the decline when they beat them.

Roy keane is far above mc gregor and dont know where u got that he pulled out from mental health shit from? that is something you just made up because you have no clue what your talking about and your not even from ireland.

Back