The initial UFC run of JDS was insane

He was a massive underdog against Werdum, then there was a video of him hitting pads which surfaced and the odds started to shift lol. Werdum also turned up to that fight a fatso and deserved to get knocked out.

Pre-Usada days were fun in a lot of ways
He’s a guy that definitely fell off the map when USADA came. Could be coincidence, but who knows.

edit: how is there a two saints post without the gif?

Watching him school the absolute shit out of carwin made me feel like I knew nothing about where the HW division was actually headed

Had he been given a title shot as easily as these modern times he would've been the best heavyweight in UFC history. He practically cleaned it out before fighting Cain

Ewt4acr.png

In hind sight this was one of the most impressive HW runs in the ufc we’ve ever seen. He was so dominant before the second fight with Cain.

HE WAS A BAD ASS MAN in his PRIME, him against FEDOR is my Dream match Prime for Prime

Ewt4acr.png

In hind sight this was one of the most impressive HW runs in the ufc we’ve ever seen. He was so dominant before the second fight with Cain.

Yep, Cain quite literally beat him out of his prime unfortunately.

I remember watching him and Cain both coming up and running through guys, waiting for them to inevitably cross paths. Probably my most exciting time following the UFC HW division.

Definetly was the best HW division we have seen to date ...

crazy didn't they cut werdum after his ears almost jiggled off his head from JDS uppercut ??

dude what about carwin ... he was so exciting to watch too !!

I was foaming at the mouth for him to fight overeem and ko him into Oblivion. Much sadness when the fight actually happened.

That was an awesome fight. Mainly because JDS bootlickers had been saying for a couple years that Overeem was scared of JDS. Even though Alister has fought literally everyone in MMA and K1 and already been KOd 10 times

tumblr_nzn0jcFvH11upwz95o4_400.gif

JDS was "out of his Prime" already when he knocked Cain and Mir out. I started seeing him slow down in the Carwin fight. He was so fast, powerful because he was lean before.Then he started to become buffer, slower and by his interviews you could see that he wasn't really training that hard anymore.How he was talking about spending time at the beach,have bbq parties everyday etc

The common wisdom says that JDS was a god until Cain beat the prime out of him. But while the physical punishment took its toll, I think the real damage was the demonstration of Junior's Achilles heel for backing into the cage, revealed because it was so vulnerable to Cain's habitual pressure game. Especially considering that he's never seemed able to fix it, one has to assume it was a flaw always present in him...a thought that tempers my admiration for his initial UFC run, impressive as it was.

The common wisdom says that JDS was a god until Cain beat the prime out of him. But while the physical punishment took its toll, I think the real damage was the demonstration of Junior's Achilles heel for backing into the cage, revealed because it was so vulnerable to Cain's habitual pressure game. Especially considering that he's never seemed able to fix it, one has to assume it was a flaw always present in him...a thought that tempers my admiration for his initial UFC run, impressive as it was.

It’s true that it showed he had bad habits defensively, but he was still a tough outing. Opponents might have realized what the holes in his game were, but many were not skilled enough to exploit them.

Dos Santos was able to beat a Ben Rothwell who finished 4 straight opponents (including Barnett and Overeem), Miocic, Tuivasa (who was a highly regarded prospect at the time), and Lewis (fresh off of a title shot) all after the two beatings he suffered at the hands of Velasquez.

Back