The initial UFC run of JDS was insane

Zebra Cheeks

Cheeky Bastard
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Ewt4acr.png

In hind sight this was one of the most impressive HW runs in the ufc we’ve ever seen. He was so dominant before the second fight with Cain.

Highly entertaining too.

He dove right in the deep end with Werdum and had a ferocious fearlessness to his striking that you only see in guys who haven’t gotten the shit kicked out of them yet.

I was a big fan of his on that run. Would have loved to see him fight Brock after TUF.

Yep, Cain quite literally beat him out of his prime unfortunately.

I remember watching him and Cain both coming up and running through guys, waiting for them to inevitably cross paths. Probably my most exciting time following the UFC HW division.

Yep, Cain quite literally beat him out of his prime unfortunately.

I remember watching him and Cain both coming up and running through guys, waiting for them to inevitably cross paths. Probably my most exciting time following the UFC HW division.
It definitely felt that way right? You had freakshows like lesnar. You had the “what if” of Fedor. You had older legends like big nog or cro cop, and you had their younger counterparts like frank mir.

Then you had the new kids just ripping guys apart. Carwin, JDS, Cain. It the most exciting division and imo it wasn’t close

I think the way he destroyed Werdum really helped, it meant there was an instant fear factor around him and everyone tended to give him space which actually played to his strenghts.

It was actually against Mir I felt you started to see a few cracks appearing, Frank did actually have a surprising amount of success early in the fight when he pushed forward.

It definitely felt that way right? You had freakshows like lesnar. You had the “what if” of Fedor. You had older legends like big nog or cro cop, and you had their younger counterparts like frank mir.

Then you had the new kids just ripping guys apart. Carwin, JDS, Cain. It the most exciting division and imo it wasn’t close

Yeah, I was remiss in not mentioning Carwin, he was for sure part of that too. You just had these three up and coming guys absolutely tearing through people.

Nowadays we get exciting up and comers like Augusto Sakai maybe sneaking out a 29-28 against some vet lol.

It was an awesome run. Those were good times. JDS was an absolute beast and such a nice dude (he still is).

I wish those last two fights with Cain would have been stopped sooner for the sake of Junior's career and health.

It was an awesome run. Those were good times. JDS was an absolute beast and such a nice dude (he still is).

I wish those last two fights with Cain would have been stopped sooner for the sake of Junior's career and health.

The 3rd fight really shouldnt have happened at that point IMHO, one of those matches were the UFC knew how it would go but wanted to give Cain the trilogy anyway to help him.

Yeah, I was remiss in not mentioning Carwin, he was for sure part of that too. You just had these three up and coming guys absolutely tearing through people.

Nowadays we get exciting up and comers like Augusto Sakai maybe sneaking out a 29-28 against some vet lol.
It would be like if Francis ngannou, ciryl gane, and blaydes all joined the division at the same time right? Absolute madness

The 3rd fight really shouldnt have happened at that point IMHO, one of those matches were the UFC knew how it would go but wanted to give Cain the trilogy anyway to help him.

Yeah, they really rushed that one.

Roy Nelson too really. He was gaining quite a fanbase at the time.

Just mentioned this in a thread yesterday. JDS has one of the most impressive resumes in the sport, and his initial run was ridiculous. The two guys he didn't KO or TKO (Nelson and Carwin) still got molly whopped. He turned Carwin, who in my opinion was the most dangerous fighter ever and the rightful champion, into bloody Sloth and retired him. Straight savage.

Hell yeah!! I thought he was gonna have a ton of title defenses and looked kinda unbeatable with that run, He was shuckin off takedowns at will, had crazy power, insane chin, big guy, and super nice, humble guy. The Mark Hunt, Yvel, and Frank Mir are my favorites. Mir looked like he got by a truck and didn't realize it, that shit was so funny

Back