1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

The Greatest to Ever Do It?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Standardb, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Standardb Orange Belt

Nate Diaz claimed today that Nick is the greatest of all time. Of course thats a ridiculous statement, but it got me thinking.

He might be one of he greatest to ever do it.

My definition of that is:

A fighter who throughout his career was always game and could back it up with an iron chin, endurance and solid technique that however many fights under his belt, fighters from any generation struggled with him. He may not be the best, but he always brings his A game thst has every fighter guessing and struggling.

In the context of that defintion, who else do you feel belongs in that unique realm of fighting?

Gregoire1, Sweater of AV and jk7707 like this.
  2. abject Blue Belt

Well Jones had to rely on steroids for his wins so he's out.
    Its, GSP, Silva and Fedor.

DoctorDeelon likes this.
  3. Reign009 Not sure if serious.

You can be great in different ways.

I'm just gonna appreciate these fighters. Especially the ones that hang around for a long time. That's so difficult to do in a sport that really favors youth.

Standardb and Zolid like this.
  4. loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

Jones is out cuz of PED's, but Silva isn't? That's kinda weird.

dna5, JanssenC, RemyR and 4 others like this.
  5. Carrotman23 Of Rivia

"The greatest to ever do it" is about winning fights and how you win them and nothing more . So in that context yeah I think when he was in Strikeforce Nick was the second or third best WW in the world . And not all fighters of his generation struggled with him btw . Wrestlers schooled him karo Parisyan, Degio Sanchez and GSP all had a relatively easy time with him . Matt Hughes would've of bodied him too .
    Overall though again yes in his prime he was a top 3 WW. As for others with a fight anyone attitude and iron chin Chris Leban comes to mind , along with Carlos Condit and many many others .

GBJohn and Standardb like this.
  6. Lights Out 101 Living Deliciously

That definition can be applied for Volk and he gets the added bonus of being undefeated in the UFC

GBJohn and Standardb like this.
  7. Mr Wings Black Belt

Randy Bobandy

8. deadshot138 Silver Belt

9. Hypetrainofthemonth Barbara Palvin

Fixed that for you.

BFoe likes this.
  10. jk7707 Silver Belt

Based on your definition Khabib. Not just beat, but dominated everyone he fought. And he was more dominant towards the end of his run than the beginning. That's the GOAT.

Standardb likes this.
  11. Hypetrainofthemonth Barbara Palvin

Right, lol at the "he popped because he's old & leg snap!!1!".

Right, the guy who came from Pride, & just so happened to fail his first random, for a PED that weakens bones(I e. What probably attributed to the leg snapping, and wouldn't be to heal bone fractures) and popped for even more PED's a 2nd time, was always clean!

{<jordan}

Fesaine, Black Paladin and Harlekin like this.
  12. Harlekin Black Belt

Nate Diaz was caught for LGD-4033, or Ligandrol (Sarm)

Then they blamed their own company for tainted supplements.

It's time consuming to test every supplement out there, until you find a tainted one to use to blame.
    So why not just taint one of your own company, so you can blame that one.

13. Sweater of AV Gold Belt

Saku and Big Nog.

14. Eric Silva 2.0 Brown Belt

Nick was great and is a legend of the sport. His career has a big hole in it because of the long layoff. He's only fought once in almost 7 years. He isn't a UFC level fighter anymore. The guys like GSP, Jones, Khabib and many others are above Nick. I don't want to get into the negatives about Nick. His boxing, endurance, granite chin and personality (real, not the fake Colby B.S. type of stuff) made him a star.

Standardb and phoenixikki like this.
  15. HeDidn'tWantTheFight Green Belt

-Silva tested positive too
    -GSP had injection marks on his abdomen a couple times
    -And I'm sure Fedor NEVERRR touched a steroid in his life

I get that it's a convenient way to rip on Jon, but wake up man. It's MMA. Steroids were the norm rather than the exception pre-USADA, and a number are most definitely still on them to varying degrees today.

16. freakroor Brown Belt

best is subjective, but Nick Diaz is definitely the most entertaining fighter ever. All his fights are classics.

17. GeneTunney7 Green Belt

Diaz is not even top 20 to do it IMO. Guys like Igor went on a 32-0 fight win streak against heavyweights as chubby 5'8 dude with a 68 inch reach, Hendo won the WW, MW and LHW belts in three major organizations and even beat Fedor, and a guy like BJ won multiple titles in the UFC and even went the distance with a heavyweight Lyoto Machia despite ending up his career at featherweight.

All these guys displayed a winning mindset, unlike the Diaz boys. They all learned to improve and get better in areas they were not good at vs complaining about the rules or saying the areas they were weak were not important or skillful. Hendo learned to strike, BJ learned insane TDD, and Igor learned a ground game. For being in MMA since before 9/11 even happened, the Diaz boys still have not learned how to defend a takedown or check a leg kick. I do not even have to bring up guys like GSP, Fedor or Jones - I am talking about guys that often do not even get mentioned in the all time argument that are better.

Black Paladin likes this.
  18. abject Blue Belt

Rubbish. Yes silva popped after a broken leg. The rest is speculation and the marks on gsp could be anything. And Jones clearly kept roiding after usada when say dc for example tested clean.

19. abject Blue Belt

Yeah. there is question marks with silva too but he did only pop after having a broken leg. But yes, he should be disqualified too, as much as it pains me.

20. NoSmilez Silver Belt

I like old man Randy but nowadays everyone is competing at a very old age. Randy is underrated but he kinda destroyed his captain Amurica image when he showed his butthole to the world.