The Greatest to Ever Do It?

A fighter who throughout his career was always game and could back it up with an iron chin, endurance and solid technique that however many fights under his belt, fighters from any generation struggled with him. He may not be the best, but he always brings his A game thst has every fighter guessing and struggling.

By this definition, Jon Fitch. Love him or hate him, virtually every fighter he went up against struggled, win or lose. The only ones who didn't were GSP (the GOAT) and pre-USADA Jonny Hendricks.

Honorable mentions to Cowboy, Shogun, and Randy.

-Silva tested positive too
-GSP had injection marks on his abdomen a couple times
-And I'm sure Fedor NEVERRR touched a steroid in his life

I get that it's a convenient way to rip on Jon, but wake up man. It's MMA. Steroids were the norm rather than the exception pre-USADA, and a number are most definitely still on them to varying degrees today.
Now these times we rarely ever know if someone gets popped because they're now liable to withhold that information to the general public.

Nate Diaz claimed today that Nick is the greatest of all time. Of course thats a ridiculous statement, but it got me thinking.

He might be one of he greatest to ever do it.

My definition of that is:

A fighter who throughout his career was always game and could back it up with an iron chin, endurance and solid technique that however many fights under his belt, fighters from any generation struggled with him. He may not be the best, but he always brings his A game thst has every fighter guessing and struggling.

In the context of that defintion, who else do you feel belongs in that unique realm of fighting?

Condit is alot like Diaz to me. Both Championship caliber fighters i dont care what anyone says. yes they have losses but so what. something that bugs me is when some people crap on interm title holders but anyone who says condit wasnt deserving of the title "Champion" is crazy.

By this definition, Jon Fitch. Love him or hate him, virtually every fighter he went up against struggled, win or lose. The only ones who didn't were GSP (the GOAT) and pre-USADA Jonny Hendricks.

Yeh jon gitch was something special.
Honorable mentions to Cowboy, Shogun, and Randy.

By this definition I would be inclined to say "Fedor", but the last season of his career seems to prove otherwise.
I would rule out GSP, because he was so intelligent in his pre-fight strategy, and all his camps were extremely tailored to fighting a specific guy.

Anyways, by your definition, I would go with Khabib. Never been finished, never really been rocked, fought unexpected standup battles against strikers, and ground wars against great grapplers. 'Fighters from all generations struggled with him". Well, I guess he would smash all the old shool dudes and he pretty much cleaned out the current roster.

Runner up would be Tony Ferguson.

Yeah Khabib is something else. I am always impressed by how fighters take every fighter serious and never slack at all. Like this weekend Valentina was prepared to the T, while her quality as a fighter is so far above all the other women in the division, I am impressed it seems she never takes anyone less than a 100 seriousm

Back