The greatest nation on earth

I saw on a list the most powerful men in the world. Obama is ranked number 1 for being the leader of one of the best military in the world.

What might annoy foreigners more is that it's actually arguably true in the case of the US. Economically, politically, culturally, it's been the clear prime force. No one gets offended when the Australian treasurer says that about Australia, they just think he's a dork or likes the beach and bbq's a lot. But when a US politician says it... It's okay to be great, but nobody likes a braggart.

Economically: very, very debatable.
Politically: what does that mean?
Culturally: I might give you that, US culture has enormous influence! But does the mere fact that a culture is compatible with the masses (and in most countries it's more the lower classes which accept American culture, ie music, movies, clothes; the higher classes almost always cling to the traditional culture of their place, eg classical music) make a nation great? I associate something more with "greatness" but the mere fact of factual effectiveness of cultural export, something morally for example.

As for WWII: Besides the question of who contributed what - is this what Americans associate with their country's greatness? I always thought that had to be something more fundamental. I am surprised this comes up as the basis of the claim. Besides that, it could be argued, the not the whole world was saved, only Europe, China and South Korea. And that America has not only saved nations, but also attacked nations without justification. Or failed to save other nations. Would that reduce its greatness? Or would saving other nations further add to it?

I saw on a list the most powerful men in the world. Obama is ranked number 1 for being the leader of one of the best military in the world.

America has the fire power, the numbers and the money, but I would say a SAS soldier is superior to any Navy SEAL.

Yeah I went there.

Because America saved the world in WWII.

Without us we'd all be speaking German and at least half the planet would just be blue-eyed, blonde-haired assholes.

As payment, the rest of the world has to kiss our asses for at least another century.

tumblr_m7uqq2BBsP1qh59n0o1_500.gif

No.

The reason for it is because Americans are very patriotic and pretty much worship their own society. Sociologists like Bellah claim America has a 'civil religion' where the values and norms of the 'American way of life' and America itself are considered sacred.

That and try getting elected while saying America sucks, you'll have a hard time.

We are quite exceptional in some ways, but just fucking awful in others.
A large part of the problem is that we're inculcated from birth with the whole "AMERICA IS THE GREATEST NATION ON EARTH PEOPLE IN OTHER COUNTRIES ALL WANT TO COME HERE BECAUSE THEY LIVE IN HUTS AND EAT DUNG USA #1 GO AMERICA YES!!" bullshit, which means that undertaking an honest appraisal of our faults is perceived as being 'unpatriotic'.

I think a lot of non-Americans go a bit too far with the denial of US accomplishment and yes, US exceptionalism does exist in certain regards but on the other side of the coin, most Americans are utterly deluded when it comes to how 'great' we are not in a lot of areas that really fucking matter in big, big ways.

For example, we are not 'free'. Not even close. There's that illusion, we have some unique gun rights but as far as the big picture goes, we are not a free people. We aren't even remotely willing to accept the chaos associated with true human freedom. You want to see it in action, head over to India. Regardless of what their laws and statutes say in theory, they're basically free to do as they please, when they please. Want to pitch a tent next to that bush and live there? Have at it. Like that dudes 8 year old daughter? Make a cash offer...

I don't know if we even want to be 'free' but all I know is that for a people who are always crowing about how free we are, we sure have a lot of folks in prison.

Last edited:
We were the most important player, so we get most of the spoils. The other guys get some credit, too. That's why we let Britain and France have submarines.

Best troll ever.

We like ourselves, get over it. If you really care about this sort of thing you need to reevaluate you priorities.

I think a lot of non-Americans go a bit too far with the denial of US accomplishment and yes, US exceptionalism does exist in certain regards

Thank you, that is another part of it. What is the reason for this often expressed "exceptionalism"? Apparently some people (John Bolton, you and others) really believe in it.

Because America saved the world in WWII.

Without us we'd all be speaking German and at least half the planet would just be blue-eyed, blonde-haired assholes.

As payment, the rest of the world has to kiss our asses for at least another century.

This.

Now, I honestly don't think the US is that special anymore, and is in rapid decline, but what we as a nation did at that time far superseded anything the other countries contributed.

As to the delusional foreigners, they woke the sleeping giant, now this thread has woken the Creeping Giant.

Stop saying stupid shit like "do your research". Post your research, show us where another country contributed more than the US.

We are quite exceptional in some ways, but just fucking awful in others.
A large part of the problem is that we're inculcated from birth with the whole "AMERICA IS THE GREATEST NATION ON EARTH PEOPLE IN OTHER COUNTRIES ALL WANT TO COME HERE BECAUSE THEY LIVE IN HUTS AND EAT DUNG USA #1 GO AMERICA YES!!" bullshit, which means that undertaking an honest appraisal of our faults is perceived as being 'unpatriotic'.

I think a lot of non-Americans go a bit too far with the denial of US accomplishment and yes, US exceptionalism does exist in certain regards but on the other side of the coin, most Americans are utterly deluded when it comes to how 'great' we are not in a lot of areas that really fucking matter in big, big ways.

For example, we are not 'free'. Not even close. There's that illusion, we have some unique gun rights but as far as the big picture goes, we are not a free people. We aren't even remotely willing to accept the chaos associated with true human freedom. You want to see it in action, head over to India. Regardless of what their laws and statutes say in theory, they're basically free to do as they please, when they please. Want to pitch a tent next to that bush and live there? Have at it. Like that dudes 8 year old daughter? Make a cash offer...

I don't know if we even want to be 'free' but all I know is that for a people who are always crowing about how free we are, we sure have a lot of folks in prison.

This sums it up. USA has plenty of good things about it, but also plenty of crap. Just like almost every western country.

So who is the greatest? I'd like to see other answers as well as the criteria used.

This.

Now, I honestly don't think the US is that special anymore, and is in rapid decline, but what we as a nation did at that time far superseded anything the other countries contributed.

As to the delusional foreigners, they woke the sleeping giant, now this thread has woken the Creeping Giant.

Stop saying stupid shit like "do your research". Post your research, show us where another country contributed more than the US.

Other countries contributed their Fathers, Sons, Mothers, Daughters, Aunties, Uncles, Brothers, Sisters.

You ignorant pr!ck.

Other countries contributed their Fathers, Sons, Mothers, Daughters, Aunties, Uncles, Brothers, Sisters.

You ignorant pr!ck.

You do realize the exclamation point doesn't make a difference, right? It's still flaming in mayberry.

Other countries contributed there Fathers, Sons, Mothers, Daughters, Aunties, Uncles, Brothers, Sisters.

You ignorant pr!ck.

Dying is not a contribution.

Saying it was a team effort to win WW2, is like saying any Denver Bronco's win was a team effort. Yeah, others were involved, but one individual got the win..

America is the Peyton Manning of WW2.

Dying is not a contribution.

Saying it was a team effort to win WW2, is like saying any Denver Bronco's win was a team effort. Yeah, others were involved, but one individual got the win..

America is the Peyton Manning of WW2.

Fighting for 'freedom', men and women putting their lives on the line for their country, countries putting their armies forward is a huge contribution. Many countries lost their soldiers, familys lost their loved ones and every country played their role in stopping the Nazi's, for you to basically say "well, we won because American saved the day" is utter bull shit.

Oh, and you comparing a war to American Football was brilliant in itself, thank fuck you were born.

Last edited:
Fighting for 'freedom', men and women putting their lives on the line for their country, countries putting their armies forward is a huge contribution. Many countries lost their soldiers, familys lost their loved ones and every country played their role in stopping the Nazi's, for you to basically say "well, we won because American saved the day" is utter bull shit.

Oh, and you comparing a war to American Football was brilliant in itself, thank fuck you were born.

You had to edit your statement, so your thoughts are no longer relevant, but I will address them anyway.

1. Dying during war is not a contribution, if anything, it's a hindrance.

2. The goal of war is to kill the other guys, not have your guys die.

3. America came to the aid of people dying, therefor, more people lived, otherwise known as, A CONTRIBUTION, of which America had more of than any other country in WW2.

4. America contributed money, steel, oil, machines, troops, food....death is never a contribution. You bragging about people dying is delusional.

I have talked to more than one WW2 veteran and every single one of them would facepalm hard reading some of this competition bullshit that people are blabbering about.
People who had absolutely nothing to do with it, mind you.
Embarrassing.

You had to edit your statement, so your thoughts are no longer relevant, but I will address them anyway.

1. Dying during war is not a contribution, if anything, it's a hindrance.

2. The goal of war is to kill the other guys, not have your guys die.

3. America came to the aid of people dying, therefor, more people lived, otherwise known as, A CONTRIBUTION, of which America had more of than any other country in WW2.

4. America contributed money, steel, oil, machines, troops, food....death is never a contribution. You bragging about people dying is delusional.

I added the last bit.

Back