The greatest counter to a "double leg" pass

armtriangle

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The switch.

works 100% of the time, half the time.

seriously, i see alot of guys asking how to stop a double legs pass, when opp squeezes legs, chest down and walks around. it is one of my go to passes. when they wrap your legs, sit up to a switch position. just thought i'd share a simple insight i have gained this week. its probably a well known counter, but i invented it (in my world) last week.

My favorite is to pick a side and hook under and over one arm/shoulder and lock up a gable grip and then you have him trapped. Then try to pull that hooked arm over as he releases your leg and the triangle is right there waiting to happen. Very effective counter.

Another nice one although a bit less high percentage is of course the "armless triangle" where you reach across kind of like a rubber guard and choke him with your leg and arm.

The switch.

works 100% of the time, half the time.

seriously, i see alot of guys asking how to stop a double legs pass, when opp squeezes legs, chest down and walks around. it is one of my go to passes. when they wrap your legs, sit up to a switch position. just thought i'd share a simple insight i have gained this week. its probably a well known counter, but i invented it (in my world) last week.

Can't argue to much here. A switch is a great counter to a double leg pass.

My favorite is to pick a side and hook under and over one arm/shoulder and lock up a gable grip and then you have him trapped. Then try to pull that hooked arm over as he releases your leg and the triangle is right there waiting to happen. Very effective counter.

Another nice one although a bit less high percentage is of course the "armless triangle" where you reach across kind of like a rubber guard and choke him with your leg and arm.

your talking a double under pass. i am talking a leg hug pass liek a double leg takedown

so can you illustrate this. I haven't wrestled and don't know what the switch is.

He's hugging both your legs together, from on top of you. His head is to your left side, the rest of his body is starting to move to your right side. You sit up and hook your left arm over his left arm and under his left leg. Then you do a kind of armdrag motion on his leg and lean your shoulder into him hard as you sort of sit on your left hip. Occasionally results in taking his back or reversing him, usually results in him letting go of the double leg pass, causing a scramble or letting you regain guard.

i hook his far leg with my near leg and grab his far lat with my near arm as he's passing around then I roll him over like I'm doing a backwards tumblesault

hasn't failed me yet.

I like the double leg pass from half guard. It's about all I have from there against good purples, browns, and blacks. Generally, I don't fear the switch because 1) I've been wrestling all my life and have never had a weakness for switches, and 2) because usually if a good opponent can switch on me, he can kimura me for greater effect. Thus, I try to keep my elbows tight to my body, my hands wrapped around opponents thighs, my pass-side shoulder jammed down heavy, and my head pinned to the far side (to avoid the guillotine). It usually allows me to get my legs free and circle while avoiding the kimura/switch, although most of the guys I roll with would never really consider the switch when a strong kimura or kimura sweep is available.

^^ i guess i did. i was thinking of a double leg takedown, it he talking about in guard and the guy hold 2 legs and trys to pass it? if so then my bad if not then i have no clue

^^ i guess i did. i was thinking of a double leg takedown, it he talking about in guard and the guy hold 2 legs and trys to pass it? if so then my bad if not then i have no clue

yep, that's the one.

Sometimes the simplest things are the best.

I can never say that enough.

I've been trying to open his elbows and hit an omoplata, you can try a gogoplata if you are flexible.

However, something that works better for me is that I sit up pick a side and force his head away and hip escape as I transition to an open guard.

your talking a double under pass. i am talking a leg hug pass liek a double leg takedown

Ah my bad. In that case I just control his head and turn bringing my knees to the ground and slip out. That has been very effective for me.

The best defense for me is to push their head away from you, they can't walk up your body. I used to have a problem with defending this pass, but since I started defending this way I no longer have problems.

I like the switch defense but I bait some of my training partners to do it just so I can try to re-switch to their back. Never works on my coach through, lol.

But its def a quality defense. That and pushing the head to the side the guy is trying to pass to.

He's hugging both your legs together, from on top of you. His head is to your left side, the rest of his body is starting to move to your right side. You sit up and hook your left arm over his left arm and under his left leg. Then you do a kind of armdrag motion on his leg and lean your shoulder into him hard as you sort of sit on your left hip. Occasionally results in taking his back or reversing him, usually results in him letting go of the double leg pass, causing a scramble or letting you regain guard.

i still don't really get it, is it sort of like a sit out?

Back