The greatest counter to a "double leg" pass

Aesopian rules.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fyXdEjbuBN4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fyXdEjbuBN4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

trying to switch from your back is very hard. its much easier to switch from starting position (giving up your back)

but i havent started bjj yet so ill see how it works when i know what the fuck im talking about

Aesopian rules.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fyXdEjbuBN4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fyXdEjbuBN4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I was wondering where I saw a video of that counter before, lol.

Personally I'm not a big fan of this one. It's just very easy for your opponent to take the back and go into a number of submissions when you do this. I'm not saying it can't work; it's just definitely not my top choice.

^^^

Ok I know they can take the back (quite easily i might add) but subs??? Nothing different than a regular front headlock position (i.e. anaconda, brabo, neck tie, guillotine etc. as well as different collar chokes).

Usually you can finish a single or sit out before they lock up a choke. . . or not. But there is no special danger that comes to mind, or am I missing something?

demian maia at his "science of JJ" DVD has 2counters for this pass...

One where you roll back on your shoulder, face and double leg.... the other I can't remember.....

He also has about 5 counters for the toreador pass (the one where you hold the pants and walk around)...

very nice DVD.. by the way.

What's the switch again?

Funny that you mentioned this, we just went over this exact technique in class on Tuesday.

Personally I'm not a big fan of this one. It's just very easy for your opponent to take the back and go into a number of submissions when you do this. I'm not saying it can't work; it's just definitely not my top choice.

i dont think its very risky at all, but I do think it favors certain body types/attributes more. A guy with very strong legs and base can be out before you have ANY chance to counter the switch, a taller, more gangly sort is going to run a bit more risk of having his back taken, but its a SMALL chance I would gladly take than have a guy attacking me from side control.

He's hugging both your legs together, from on top of you. His head is to your left side, the rest of his body is starting to move to your right side. You sit up and hook your left arm over his left arm and under his left leg. Then you do a kind of armdrag motion on his leg and lean your shoulder into him hard as you sort of sit on your left hip. Occasionally results in taking his back or reversing him, usually results in him letting go of the double leg pass, causing a scramble or letting you regain guard.

That would take breaking the fellas grips on double wouldn't it?

I find that unlikely. An option tho.

I was wondering where I saw a video of that counter before, lol.

Agreed. Its still a good option depending but.

I loved the double pass. You have alot of control there. Bottom fella shouldn't really bend up like that imo. If he comes too far then you can do cradle or with the typical drive behind the legs(as they're usually driving upward and not just 'still' in side control) would give you an explosiveness to release and take the shoulder girdle easily.

The stops on me from my coach were to just press down heavy on the head and with the shins(top guy should have hi grips close to hips) try to go inside crotch to keep him all down there. Anyhow, keep the head low by driving and if he tries to come ahead(what I did) with the legs, makes for an easy turn or sweep. A set-up even.

Just keep forcing the head down and wait for his lower body to come up(and you can help him).

Otoh, If a guy has a double, he should be looking to turn with the legs before coming up anyhow. Under/over. Good ole wrestling.:D

i dont think its very risky at all, but I do think it favors certain body types/attributes more. A guy with very strong legs and base can be out before you have ANY chance to counter the switch, a taller, more gangly sort is going to run a bit more risk of having his back taken, but its a SMALL chance I would gladly take than have a guy attacking me from side control.

Well I'd prefer not to take a chance at either and just use the counter I mentioned in my first post :wink:

Well I'd prefer not to take a chance at either and just use the counter I mentioned in my first post :wink:

I agree, i'm not a fan of the switch cause it doesn't work well for me. I always end up either back where I was or in a more fucked position.

You can push on his arms when they are wrapped around your legs, hip away to create enough room to slide one leg out and set up a triangle. It is not high percentage, but does work.

Back