• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is now 3 times the size of France

There's resource leading to monetary potential for who every can figure out how to recover and sort it. Although, the gas used in barges needed to transport it would probably do more damage than the garbage itself.

I just want to see images of it from the sky...

Is that too much to ask for?

Except you're wrong. The most environmentally comitted and aware people I know are rural folks and outdoorsman. You know? The people who actually spend considerable time in the wild, instead of yuppies who just tour the beauty of nature once in a blue moon.
On an individual level that's the case and once upon a time it was also the case at the party level. Ole Teddy Roosevelt would just disappear innawoods every once in a while so he'd be disgusted by this.

But the modern American right is generally against environmental regulation. To be fair this issue is not just an American one, its a Pacific one that that includes plenty of other countries.

Quick, conservatives, tell me again how the free market solves all problems...

Well that escalated multiplied quickly.

On an individual level that's the case and once upon a time it was also the case at the party level. Ole Teddy Roosevelt would just disappear innawoods every once in a while so he'd be disgusted by this.

But the modern American right is generally against environmental regulation. To be fair this issue is not just an American one, its a Pacific one that that includes plenty of other countries.
I wonder why the right is generally opposed to environmental legislation. Conservative pundits shilling for corporate America, bamboozle the grass-roots to oppose enviro legislation. But that still doesn't explain the opposition from the rank-and-file, because one would assume they can rationalize a better environment is ultimately better for them.

Wonder if it's just a case of opposing environmentalism, because it has come to be identified with liberals????

I can't believe that the MIC hasn't been lobbying congress for a solution.

Surely the US can produce "clean up ships" the size of aircraft carriers that can skim the surface of the ocean collecting the trash.

- Billions into the defense industry.
- Positive vibes from environmentalists.
- US ships patrolling the globe.
- Jobs. Jobs. Jobs.
- Shipping lanes safer to travel through.

No nation will take responsibility or provide funding to cleanup the GPGP because it is far from any nation's coastline, according to National Geographic.

Of course!!!

Fvk humanity

I just want to see images of it from the sky...

Is that too much to ask for?

It mostly under the surface and composed of clear plastic. Thats why it doesnt show up on Google Maps/Earth.

Except you're wrong. The most environmentally comitted and aware people I know are rural folks and outdoorsman. You know? The people who actually spend considerable time in the wild, instead of yuppies who just tour the beauty of nature once in a blue moon.
Blue states are far more likely to be environmentally friendly especially in regards to recycling

https://wallethub.com/edu/greenest-states/11987/#red-vs-blue

It mostly under the surface and composed of clear plastic. Thats why it doesnt show up on Google Maps/Earth.
Also, microbeads. Shit is crazy.

Blue states are far more likely to be environmentally friendly especially in regards to recycling

Take it or leave it, but the outdoor enthusiasts I know are more environmentally aware than any typical city dweller I know.

We used to have the largest trail maintenance/clean up/volunteer days in North America just outside of Calgary. Hunters, off-roaders, campers, etc. Built bridges, installed culverts, re-routed trails away from fish spawning grounds. And picked up garbage. Lots and lots of garbage. The people who spent considerable time and money doing the work? Mostly "right wing dolts". The occasional users of the back country who left their shit (sometimes literally) everywhere couldn't be bothered to help. Recycling, thank god, has been made quite convenient in city centers, but devoid of that convenience many people revert to lazy shit stain habits.

My point? Lets not make sweeping statements.

Also, microbeads. Shit is crazy.

Take it or leave it, but the outdoor enthusiasts I know are more environmentally aware than any typical city dweller I know.

We used to have the largest trail maintenance/clean up/volunteer days in North America just outside of Calgary. Hunters, off-roaders, campers, etc. Built bridges, installed culverts, re-routed trails away from fish spawning grounds. And picked up garbage. Lots and lots of garbage. The people who spent considerable time and money doing the work? Mostly "right wing dolts". The occasional users of the back country who left their shit (sometimes literally) everywhere couldn't be bothered to help. Recycling, thank god, has been made quite convenient in city centers, but devoid of that convenience many people revert to lazy shit stain habits.

My point? Lets not make sweeping statements.
Come out to BC , you don't see much garbage , very little littering in general and we recycle everything , the facts bare this out , left leaning areas recycle more and take better care of the environment

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/16-002-x/2007001/article/10174-eng.htm

Come out to BC , you don't see much garbage , very little littering in general and we recycle everything , the facts bare this out , left leaning areas recycle more and take better care of the environmnt
I used to live in Penticton and have been all over BC. Hongcouver is a fantastic city.

Calgary is a very clean city. That's something many visitors comment on. Most of us are quite committed to the recycling effort.

There's just something about wild camping that makes the occasional user think it's no big deal leaving their junk in the bush. Pisses me off. Pack it in, pack it out. I've confronted people about it and will continue to do so.

Well since the Pacific is coast is all "blue states", save for Alaska, why the fuck are we getting into a pissing contest about Blue states and them evil polluting "midwest" red states in regards to the "Great PACIFIC Garbage patch"???

-----------------------------------------------

I'll actually give you guys a hint though. While the western states do contribute some of the garbage to the Patch. The major culprits are Asian countries. Many labels in the patch are written in Chinese, Japanese, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bakedboy
Back