the Grappling Blueprint

Jodoka Ray

White Belt
Reaction score
Anyone hear heard of this? What is it, like a DVD and books and shit? How does it work? If it does at all.

It is a scam! Beware of it... seriously!

Wolverine
///

I wouldn't say it's a bullshit scam because it's been proven to have helped guys improve quicker.

It's basically just a go to source for mentally and physically preparing for a competition and how to increase the amount of info you retain from classes. Not much of it is particularly revolutionary however Irvin is the first to apply the ideas to grappling. I personally think it's been useful to me although at some times it does seem to be repeating itself.

Anyone who thinks it will guide you to getting BJJ, Judo and Sambo blackbelts within 3-5 years is either naive, foolish, or just stupid. It would take an enormous amount of time, money, and dedication to do it the way he or BJ Penn did. Really, I don't see the payoff either.

As far as just helping your game, you could probably spend your money better elsewhere.

Lloyd puts out quality fighters and competitors... I think a lot of you guys that haven't achieved as much as he has could due to tone it down a bit.

That said, Irvin's method of marketing is a little too infomercial at times.

The Grappling Blueprint has NOT been produced yet.

Lloyd put out the Grappling Game Plan last year. It's supposed to be a smaller version of the Grappling Blueprint. It's really just basic sports psychology and, for most people, a waste of money in my opinion. "Identify your goals. Work toward achieving them. Visualize success and train regularly." Literally, that about sums up his advice. I didn't see much that was helpful in there and it was a $100 wasted by and large.

in a nutshell:
1)become world class judoka
2)begin bjj training
3)get black belt pretty quickly

all kidding aside lloyd is no joke and neither is his team, but like all of you, i'm still waiting for "the blueprint"

the guy had a black belt in judo, and in sambo before training BJJ... and he says his book is the reason youll get youll black in 3.5 years.
Maybe just maybe it had something to do with the decades he had previously spent on martial arts that had something to do with it.

Gsoares2 said:
the guy had a black belt in judo, and in sambo before training BJJ... and he says his book is the reason youll get youll black in 3.5 years.
Maybe just maybe it had something to do with the decades he had previously spent on martial arts that had something to do with it.

If you are rich, have a lot of time, and really want to do it, you could be a black belt within that time-frame. BJ Penn did about the same thing.

Gsoares2 said:

Exactly. Each instructor has a different standard for the level of skill required to achieve a black belt. Lloyd Irvin is a very seasoned grappler before he even started BJJ. He is solid. His black belts are good, but not none are on the elite level. Every time they face someone the caliber of Telles, Xande, Galvao, etc. they get creamed. Getting a black belt in less than 4 years means you lower the standards, unless your name is BJ Penn.

Rhadi Ferguson got his Judo BB under Irvin to my knowledge and recently competed in the Olympics. His team were top of the NAGA table last year. He does get results.

Comparing a person who has got his black belt within 4 years to someone who has held their BB for 3-4 years is unfair. Of course Mike Fowler's not going to cream BBs that run their own schools at this point in time but that is not to say he couldn't in the future.

Speaking of Telles, may try book a private class with him for next week. Went to his seminar Sunday, anyone interested in clips of the techniques PM me for a link.

BOB --- So everyone of us has the same athletic skills, heart, talent, drive and potential as BJ Penn??? I don't think so.

Most of us don't have the money for private classes the same way Penn did either. Sadly money is an object to most of us.

Back