The Golden Age of MMA (2000-2010), the Present, and the Future

We have a new Brock Lesnar in Ronda, lets hope she doesnt become like Gina Carona and do movies

She's already been doing movies and plans to continue to and do even more.

MMA will never be that big again. The chuck Mohawk was THE douchebro haircut. Little kids were running around with it for God sakes. Today's mma is more about the UFC brand and less about the individual fighter (exception: Ronda). Mens mma are all gsp archetype clones these days.

MMA was new back then and new equals exciting. The kid who starts watching MMA today is going to think this was the golden age in ten years.

Well, that kid would be incorrect. It might be his favorite era, but the "golden age" is literally the beginning years of something.

MMA will never be that big again. The chuck Mohawk was THE douchebro haircut. Little kids were running around with it for God sakes.

parks-and-recreation-halloween-chris-pratt.jpg

Today's mma is more about the UFC brand and less about the individual fighter (exception: Ronda). Mens mma are all gsp archetype clones these days.

Yep. And I understand their thinking on that. Fighters retire, and then fans lose interest. So yeah they want to make the brand the "star." But that isn't working. Like I said in the OP, characters are what get fans invested.

parks-and-recreation-halloween-chris-pratt.jpg

Yep. And I understand their thinking on that. Fighters retire, and then fans lose interest. So yeah they want to make the brand the "star." But that isn't working. Like I said in the OP, characters are what get fans invested.

And if you had any doubt about that, just look at how popular people who aren't that great, but constantly trash talk are now. Chael Sonnen, Connor McGregor, the Diaz bros, etc...

Yeah, Zuffa is the reason mma has exploded and is still around. But are you telling me you DON'T think that they have gone off the rails in the last 5 years?

Zuffa built mma into what it is in North America, and they're also the reason it is becoming bland and stale as all fuck. They are the ONLY mma org that has saturated the market with shit fights between no-name fighters, and yes they are on FOX. So that means MILLIONS of people get to flip through the channels and see some bullshit, no appeal fights. They are literally turning millions of people AWAY from becoming MMA fans because they put out so many watered down cards.

MMA is NOT the NFL, NBA, etc. An MMA card used to be, and should still be, a very special event, that fans eagerly anticipate for weeks if not months. And when those cards happen, EVERY card should be a superbowl event. OK maybe not superbowl, but every card should be a playoff game. Understand? Remember when it was like that? Zuffa has created the market, dominated the market, and are essentially butt-fucking the market until there's nothing left.

So are we going to have 10 cards a year? Let's say 10 fights on a card? So that's room for 200 fighters fighting once a year???

That's not going to build or sustain a sport.

But I am sure you know better than the guys that actually brought it into the mainstream...

And if you had any doubt about that, just look at how popular people who aren't that great, but constantly trash talk are now. Chael Sonnen, Connor McGregor, the Diaz bros, etc...
I would not say any of those fighters aren't great. They all fought for world titles. It's not like they are Angela Magana.

This thread needs to be a sticky. Couldn't have said it better myself. Bravo!

Well, that kid would be incorrect. It might be his favorite era, but the "golden age" is literally the beginning years of something.

No it's not....

Ever heard of the Stone Age? How about the Bronze Age?

Sherderp decreases my faith in humanity a little more every day.

I would not say any of those fighters aren't great. They all fought for world titles. It's not like they are Angela Magana.

They were just the first that came to mind, especially Chael, since he talked his way into at least 2 title fights he didn't really deserve.

They were just the first that came to mind, especially Chael, since he talked his way into at least 2 title fights he didn't really deserve.
Chael most certainly deserved his title shots. He beat Okami and Marquardt to get his first crack at Silva, and then Stann and Bisping to get the rematch. All four of those fighters were ranked in the top 10.

Chael most certainly deserved his title shots. He beat Okami and Marquardt to get his first crack at Silva, and then Stann and Bisping to get the rematch. All four of those fighters were ranked in the top 10.

I think what the guy is saying is, nobody gave a damn about Chael until he started trash talking Anderson Silva every time he got a microphone. Which is true. Ask Chael.

MMA was new back then and new equals exciting. The kid who starts watching MMA today is going to think this was the golden age in ten years.

This. Exactly.

I started watching UFC in late 2009 and it felt very special to me (still is now, just differently). I would NOT miss a card for anything, even if it wasn't stacked. To me, every card was a "can't miss" event. I look back on my first year or so watching MMA fondly, and I think someone who started watching UFC in 2015 will feel the same way in the next 5-10 years if they still watch it.

I think what the guy is saying is, nobody gave a damn about Chael until he started trash talking Anderson Silva every time he got a microphone. Which is true. Ask Chael.
He still had the skills (and steroids) to back it up. If he talked trash and got owned every time out, he'd just be another Junie Browning.

Back