Movies The Godfather: Part II

Don Vito was the perfect don. He had cold logic, fight, and heart. Michael had the logic, and some fight but no heart. Sonny had the fight, some heart but no logic. Fredo had a naive level of heart and nothing else

Had Sonny not being killed, do you think Vito would have preferred him or Michael to be his successor?

He says in the movie he felt sonny was a bad Don. Said similar in the book due to his anger. A ruthless capo and underboss though.

Yesterday I was watching The Godfather: Part II.

When I was young, I remember the movie as a cool mafia movie.

Now I have seen it again and think it is a tragedy.

Michael Corleone has a wife that is hating him, and she has killed their son via abortion. His brother Fredo betrayed him, and he is responsible for Fredo's death. His sister Connie sleeps around with men and does not take of her children.

Micheal Corleone has because of all the bad things he has done a bad conscience. That is a huge problem for him on judgment day.

His father Vito Corleone came to America the land of opportunity and became a criminal. And he also has a bad conscience. So, that is also a huge problem for his father on judgment day.

So, for me the movie is a tragedy.

They made all of the female characters assholes?

It’s still a gangster movie. But Michael’s move to make the family legitimate is more difficult than he thought. He is also finding it harder to be a family man like his dad. When he talks to his mom, he even asks if his dad was being strong for the family, if he could lose his family. Which we see he does. The end scene for me caps off a film masterpiece. I see it as a microcosm of his life. Ending up alone. Whatever he does, he can’t seem to be like Vito.

Yesterday I was watching The Godfather: Part II.

When I was young, I remember the movie as a cool mafia movie.

Now I have seen it again and think it is a tragedy.

Michael Corleone has a wife that is hating him, and she has killed their son via abortion. His brother Fredo betrayed him, and he is responsible for Fredo's death. His sister Connie sleeps around with men and does not take of her children.

Micheal Corleone has because of all the bad things he has done a bad conscience. That is a huge problem for him on judgment day.

His father Vito Corleone came to America the land of opportunity and became a criminal. And he also has a bad conscience. So, that is also a huge problem for his father on judgment day.

So, for me the movie is a tragedy.

Oh man, it is absolutely a tragedy. One of the saddest endings to a movie you’re ever gonna see imo; and there is no redemption. There’s no victory. Only death and darkness.

I just found it to be boring.

What’s crazy is that both The Godfather and Part II had three actors nominated for best supporting actor. Three actors from the same damn movie up against one another that’s like unprecedented type shit and hasn’t happened since.

And much deserved- Pacino, Caan, Duvall all epic.

DeNiro, Strasberg, Gazzo- all phenomenal.

Godfather II is absolutely a tragedy. Michael ends with his power reaffirmed but he’s lost his soul.

Michael was a tragic figure but I feel like what hasn’t been explored within him is the fact he may have had PTSD from war . The cold streak he develops later as The Don, I don’t think came about just from being a Don . I think he was fucked up .

what's that?

Back