Movies The Godfather: Part II

$uperman

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I was watching The Godfather: Part II.

When I was young, I remember the movie as a cool mafia movie.

Now I have seen it again and think it is a tragedy.

Michael Corleone has a wife that is hating him, and she has killed their son via abortion. His brother Fredo betrayed him, and he is responsible for Fredo's death. His sister Connie sleeps around with men and does not take of her children.

Micheal Corleone has because of all the bad things he has done a bad conscience. That is a huge problem for him on judgment day.

His father Vito Corleone came to America the land of opportunity and became a criminal. And he also has a bad conscience. So, that is also a huge problem for his father on judgment day.

So, for me the movie is a tragedy.

Yesterday I was watching The Godfather: Part II.

When I was young, I remember the movie as a cool mafia movie.

Now I have seen it again and think it is a tragedy.

Michael Corleone has a wife that is hating him, and she has killed their son via abortion. His brother Fredo betrayed him, and he is responsible for Fredo's death. His sister Connie sleeps around with men and does not take of her children.

Micheal Corleone has because of all the bad things he has done a bad conscience. That is a huge problem for him on judgment day.

His father Vito Corleone came to America the land of opportunity and became a criminal. And he also has a bad conscience. So, that is also a huge problem for his father on judgment day.

So, for me the movie is a tragedy.

It is 100% a tragedy and the worst part is Michael didnt want anything to do with it. He went to war, went to college and just wanted to be a legitimate business man.

I don't think OP is saying the movie is bad. He's saying it's a tragedy for Michael because all these bad things happened to him (wife, brother, sister...).

Or maybe I misinterpreted his post...

No, you are right, but I also blame Michael for all the bad things he does. I am big on personal responsibility. So, I blame most people in that family. They do bad things. So, they get a bad life.

I've seen a lot of people claim it is better than the original but I just don't see it. DeNiro was ok as a younger Vito but it wasn't anything special imo.

I agree.

The first movie is in my opinion a 10/10.

And the second movie is in my opinion a 9/10.

It is 100% a tragedy and the worst part is Michael didnt want anything to do with it. He went to war, went to college and just wanted to be a legitimate business man.

Yes, but he made the wrong decision to become a criminal.

Michael was a tragic figure but I feel like what hasn’t been explored within him is the fact he may have had PTSD from war . The cold streak he develops later as The Don, I don’t think came about just from being a Don . I think he was fucked up .

Michael was a tragic figure but I feel like what hasn’t been explored within him is the fact he may have had PTSD from war . The cold streak he develops later as The Don, I don’t think came about just from being a Don . I think he was fucked up .

Reading the book, its never brought up that he suffered flash acks, ptsd or anything similar, and knowing puzo's writing style, if he felt it relevant it would be mentioned well.

Reading the book, its never brought up that he suffered flash acks, ptsd or anything similar, and knowing puzo's writing style, if he felt it relevant it would be mentioned well.
True. One things for sure...he had a much colder streak than his father did. Where that comes from i dont know but he def did. Even Connie mentions it. He does things his father never would have done. Now that could be cause of the changing times and generation and the family being threatened more and more, but i dont think thats all of it.

True. One things for sure...he had a much colder streak than his father did. Where that comes from i dont know but he def did. Even Connie mentions it. He does things his father never would have done. Now that could be cause of the changing times and generation and the family being threatened more and more, but i dont think thats all of it.
Wasn't it mentioned that his first wife death send him into a dark side something like that. That must be it.

Wasn't it mentioned that his first wife death send him into a dark side something like that. That must be it.
Good point. But even when he shot the dirty cop(mccluskey?) he shot him in the throat and made him suffer before death. I know it was for the beating he took from him, but this is before Apollonia was killed. He seemed to have a sociopath side before her death and maybe her death brought it out fully.

Personally, i think its a combination of his intelligence, threats and michael naturally being a control freak; well educated, was patient, war hero, confident even when facing enemies. Smart and patient people tend to be colder because they know how to truly win these scenarios.

Michael is ultimately a near perfect Don. Each of vitos sons are ruthless, none more so than michael due to his ability to calculate mistakes well beforehand and avoid most of them. Also, they tried to shoot him in his bedroom where as he says his children come to play. Many a men in power would become more ruthless from this. In G1 his patience and feigning weakness after the don being shot paid off. He got everyone simultaneously. He knew he had to make a move, it had to be big, impactful, and send a message to the underworld. This is also why he asks carlo for an honest answer, he has to be sure his judgement isnt off. Smart mafiasos would be listening to that ripple. That the corleone family didnt need the muscle per se, they had a brain that out worked everyone.

Vito always had a big heart (takes care if old ladies), and was reasonable. He also understood the real sicilian ways of being subtle. His biggest threat was telling the dons he wouldnt be the one to break the peace. They didnt actually "listen". They focused too much on his misdirection of blaming anyone for a lightning bolt killing michael. And he knew it.

Michael didnt fully have this, so he needed another asset. Being cold worked well, kept many enemies at bay. The problem with this is they get desperate when they want you gone and try to take everything.

Although shorter chapters, in the book its mentioned several times how much more in love with apollonia he was. He appreciated her demeanor and her ignorance of the world, it was refreshing for hin to have a good sicilian wife.

At a Myer Briggs personality site, it says that Michael and his father are both INTJ.

My father who has people knowledge also said to me when we watched the movie that Michael and Vito have the same personality.

But to me Michael seems much colder than his father. Maybe he is an INTJ and a sociopath.

I now see on other personality websites that Michael according to those websites has another Myer Briggs personality type than his father.

Personally, i think its a combination of his intelligence, threats and michael naturally being a control freak; well educated, was patient, war hero, confident even when facing enemies. Smart and patient people tend to be colder because they know how to truly win these scenarios.

Michael is ultimately a near perfect Don. Each of vitos sons are ruthless, none more so than michael due to his ability to calculate mistakes well beforehand and avoid most of them. Also, they tried to shoot him in his bedroom where as he says his children come to play. Many a men in power would become more ruthless from this. In G1 his patience and feigning weakness after the don being shot paid off. He got everyone simultaneously. He knew he had to make a move, it had to be big, impactful, and send a message to the underworld. This is also why he asks carlo for an honest answer, he has to be sure his judgement isnt off. Smart mafiasos would be listening to that ripple. That the corleone family didnt need the muscle per se, they had a brain that out worked everyone.

Vito always had a big heart (takes care if old ladies), and was reasonable. He also understood the real sicilian ways of being subtle. His biggest threat was telling the dons he wouldnt be the one to break the peace. They didnt actually "listen". They focused too much on his misdirection of blaming anyone for a lightning bolt killing michael. And he knew it.

Michael didnt fully have this, so he needed another asset. Being cold worked well, kept many enemies at bay. The problem with this is they get desperate when they want you gone and try to take everything.

Had Sonny not being killed, do you think Vito would have preferred him or Michael to be his successor?

Back