The German public debt has dropped below €2 trillion

snakedafunky

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
"The German public debt has dropped below €2 trillion for the first time in years thanks to robust economic growth. Public debt in Germany sank to €1.967 trillion in 2017, marking a drop of 2.1 percent in comparison with 2016, figures released by the statistics office (Destatis) showed on Thursday.
The €42.1 billion drop in public debt levels is a result of high tax intakes from a booming economy and historically low interest rates. It all means that if each resident of Germany were to scrape together €23,797, the country could completely wipe out its public debts."
https://www.thelocal.de/20180802/good-news-germany-you-now-have-less-than-2000000000000-in-debt

The Germans are celebrating their high taxes now. But they are going to look very stupid when the money stops trickling down from the top.
I also remember some people predicted that Germany would financially collapse under the refugee burden.

"The German public debt has dropped below €2 trillion for the first time in years thanks to robust economic growth. Public debt in Germany sank to €1.967 trillion in 2017, marking a drop of 2.1 percent in comparison with 2016, figures released by the statistics office (Destatis) showed on Thursday.
The €42.1 billion drop in public debt levels is a result of high tax intakes from a booming economy and historically low interest rates. It all means that if each resident of Germany were to scrape together €23,797, the country could completely wipe out its public debts."
https://www.thelocal.de/20180802/good-news-germany-you-now-have-less-than-2000000000000-in-debt

The Germans are celebrating their high taxes now. But they are going to look very stupid when the money stops trickling down from the top.
I also remember some people predicted that Germany would financially collapse under the refugee burden.

Get ready for several pages of complete horse shit.

No matter how much Germany's economy is booming, no matter how much more money their treasury brought in through tax revenues, I predict they will still choose to fall short of NATO's 2% defense spending target for years to come.

I predict it will still fall short of NATO's 2% defense spending target.

Maybe not by 2024 which I think was the year of the target?
Because Germany is thinking about bringing back mandatory military service.
That will probably bring it to the 2%.

Germany is thinking about bringing back mandatory military service.
That will probably bring it to the 2%.

They should consider getting the current troops equipments that actually works first.

That’s just the tip of the iceberg, according to a report recently published by Hans-Peter Bartels, the parliamentary commissioner for the armed forces. “The army’s readiness to deploy has not improved in recent years but instead has got even worse,” Bartels said. “At the end of the year, six out of six submarines were not in use. At times, not one of the fourteen Airbus A-400M could fly,” he added, referring to aircraft specifically designed to transport troops and military equipment.

Just to add to this catalogue of woes, the Bundeswehr has only nine operational Leopard 2 tanks, well short of the 44 needed for the VJTF. Forget about having fourteen Marder armored infantry vehicles. There’s only three to hand.

As for the Eurofighter and Tornado fighter jets and the CH-53 transport helicopters, they can only be used on average four months a year. They are in constant need of repair. And by the way, there’s a shortage of spare parts for maintenance. Just to add to the miserable state of the armed forces, the troops lack night-vision equipment and automatic grenade launchers.

http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/139280319/

Last edited:
They should consider getting the current troops equipments that actually works first.

Yeah but that is ''just'' a mismanagement issue. (the current defense minister is horrible)
The bigger issue to get people to join.
It's difficult to get people to join an Army if you don't have lower classes you can recruit from.
I think a move back to mandatory military service will be the only option.

Last edited:
No matter how much Germany's economy is booming, no matter how much more money their treasury brought in through tax revenues, I predict they will still choose to fall short of NATO's 2% defense spending target for years to come.

No shit, Cause the USA is the national defense of most of Europe. Only England and France have a moderately strong defense force.

Trump ripping on NATO the way he does is not diplomatic. Rather counterproductive. But he does have a point. Americans have been footing the bill for EU's defense for for a long time. They need to start adhering to agreements THEY agreed to.

No shit, Cause the USA is the national defense of most of Europe. Only England and France have a moderately strong defense force.

Trump ripping on NATO the way he does is not diplomatic. Rather counterproductive. But he does have a point. Americans have been footing the bill for EU's defense for for a long time. They need to start adhering to agreements THEY agreed to.

Germany not spending the 2% is a very valid point for criticism.
But it would not have a strong impact on the good economic numbers.
You would have to probably spend another 30 billion or so to reach that.
And that would basically be an economic subsidence program because most of the new equipment would be built in Germany. Or go into Airbus for development etc.

Germany( unlike most of Europe )actually makes great things. However, their Stalinist leaders like Pol Pot in a skirt Merkel have flooded the nation with so many dangerous people that I dont see any future in Germany. Germany like France , UK will not exist as you know them and soon

Italy may have saved themselves and Spain is being flooded.

I will not be returning to Europe again in this life time unless its Italy

Back