1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

The gang in Hateful Eight was pretty dumb

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Drain Bamage, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Drain Bamage Banned Banned

They had their chance to take over when John Ruth and the others were coughing their guts up and dying they just sat there doing nothing. All the people up top could have just shot the ones who didn't get poisoned (just two men - Warren and Mannix) and that would have been easy. Not too mention Jody down in the cellar doing nothing could have helped.

Reyesnuthugr, suizuri and ufcfan4 like this.
  2. ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

it’s an awesome movie but it’s not air tight in its narrative.

That said, I got the vibe that they wanted to be able to execute their plan with as minimal resistance as possible. When they took over Minnie’s place, they killed people who were unarmed and unprepared. For being battle-hardened heavies, they seemed to be big on self preservation. Probably figured their easiest way to get rid of those that were in their way was to go the sneaky route- poison the coffee- Russell and the driver got killed off of that but Mannix could have easily joined them in drinking it as well.

They learned of Warren’s rep and saw firsthand how dangerous he was in the exchange with Bruce Dern. They likely wanted to avoid engaging him directly and hoped to take him out subtly.

Plan 2 probably would have been to kill Goggins and Sam when they slept. Problem was as soon as Warren and Mannix see what happens to Kurt, they are hep to a plot and ready for them.

At that point, Tatum had to use the sneak shot approach. Bush whacking sack shooter.

3. ufcfan4 Can't Andle The Riddum

Haha that movie is really vintage Quentin isn’t it.

Big scene with Sam and Dern is something else.

You want to know what day he died?...The day he met me...

Drain Bamage likes this.
  4. HARRISON_3 Steel Belt

I am Hogan

ufcfan4 likes this.
  5. Fedorgasm Gold Belt

They didn't want to get in a gunfight with Samuel Jackson. Too risky considering how dangerous he was and also the fact that they only had one real gun between them (the one hidden under the table)

Been a while since I've seen it but I feel like Tim Roth only had a hidden derringer. They're inaccurate and you only get one shot. Jackson had 12 bullets and more skill vs maybe 8 bullets between 2 lesser skilled guys.

Much safer to wait until he steps on top of Jody and gets blasted in the nuts.

Besides, Jody gave them strict orders to not initiate a fight and risk his sister getting shot.

suizuri, Brother Numsi and ufcfan4 like this.
  6. Brother Numsi Black Belt

Exactly

TS seems to forget that Major Warren was a bad ass dude. All those ex Confederate soldiers and dangerous bounties he brought in you know he was not a dude to mess with. Better to wait for him to let his guard down before making a move

7. Jesus X Hunter eyes

HunterAcosta likes this.
  8. El Chimpo Cruel Man Platinum Member

Didnt want to put daisy in trouble.. She was still cuffed to the hangman after all

9. HHJ Fuckin' SHOOTOUT

The scene where Sam is trying to figure out who is the enemy is fuckin great.

"thats how far i got,how'm i doin?"

ufcfan4 likes this.
  10. Jack Reacheround Never Go Black

Right. That’s what I thought too. They got a taste of how serious he was when Ruth was trying to disarm Joe Gage. Warren just snuck up behind him with a knife, cut his neck a bit, and made it clear he wasn’t someone you fuck with unless you want to die.

Also, I kind of feel like they wanted to take the path of least resistance, which originally would have been to just kill Ruth. He was the only real gunfighter they thought would be there. Having the new sheriff of Red Rock there meant another capable gunfighter was in their way. That’s why Daisy conspicuously announces his presence when they first entered.

So not only did they not count on Mannix, but once they realized how serious a threat Warren was, they didn’t want to go toe to toe.

ufcfan4 likes this.
  11. HHJ Fuckin' SHOOTOUT

youuuu gon make a deal with this...diaaaaabolical biiiiiiiiiitch??

12. SSgt Dickweed Red Belt

It would've been a 9/10 movie for me until the point where people were throwing up their guts. Kind of excess gore for something that is more of a Western meets thriller-mystery.

13. Jack&Cat Green Belt

I have tried four separate times to watch this film in it's entirety. I've failed each of those times... And I love Tarantino. It's not even a bad film, I just don't know what it is.

14. Drain Bamage Banned Banned

It's a little uneven but still a great movie.

Things id have changed - take out the White Stripes song. Too modern sounding. And take out the part where Kurt smashes the guitar - Quentin left that take in because Kurt smashed the wrong antique guitar but Daisy's reaction is incongruous with her character (because JJL was reacting to Kurt smashing the wrong guitar) it just doesnt mak sense that her character would give a shit about Kurt smashing a guitar.

Jack&Cat likes this.
  15. Oceanmachine Tidwell belt Banned

Eliminate weight cutting. Have Pride rules!
    Also when they arrived. Just kill the Kurt Russell right when he came in the door or had his back turned using both hands to try and close the door. The other guys were all in the barn far away, then free the woman and hide her below while they pick off the rest of the men.

16. Jack Reacheround Never Go Black

The first time I saw it, I didn’t really care for it. I think it’s just because I was expecting something else out of a western - not for it to take place in one room. I expected them to be riding out on some plains, ambushing people, standard western shit.

But I gave it another watch and it quickly became my favorite film of his.

17. moreorless87 Straba

Still hoping it comes out on UHD disk at some point, should look pretty amazing being shot on 70mm.

The gang question as well they were not expecting so many people to arrive, just the Hangman and the driver.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Jesus X likes this.
  18. Drain Bamage Banned Banned

I do wish at a certain point we got to Red Rock. Just wanted to see Tarantino's take on a town in that setting. His production design team always does the best work.

19. Drain Bamage Banned Banned

"The dumbest thing your boy ever did was let me know he was your boy"

HHJ likes this.
  20. El Chimpo Cruel Man Platinum Member

Starting to see pictures aintcha