The GAA Thread

I was reading that Cricket was bigger then Hurling/Shinty in the middle 1800's ? before the GAA came about.

In some places yeah, obviously hurling is an incredibly old sport, dating back to at least 1st century AD in some form but by the early to mid 1800s in some places it was becoming less popular (as people had been anglicised over the past decades) and for whatever reason, cricket was quite commonly played. The gaelic revival and the GAA which was part of that was attempting to prevent that from happening, which was obviously very successful.

Here's a good documentary if you like, first ten minutes talk a little bit about that:

In some places yeah, obviously hurling is an incredibly old sport, dating back to at least 1st century AD in some form but by the early to mid 1800s in some places it was becoming less popular (as people had been anglicised over the past decades) and for whatever reason, cricket was quite commonly played. The gaelic revival and the GAA which was part of that was attempting to prevent that from happening, which was obviously very successful.

Here's a good documentary if you like, first ten minutes talk a little bit about that:

Ahh cheers very interesting.
I imagined a united Ireland with no GAA but just Soccer, Rugby Union and Cricket would of been a force.

BTW I was read that Notts County Soccer Club came out from Cricket while Notting Forset FC was born from a Shinty club.

For fuck sake New York almost beat Roscommon in the prelimary round of the connacht championship. Absolutely hilarious if they had lost, Roscommon are an underdog team themselves but they had a lot of hype recently because of their play in the NFL (kind of like half way between pre season and the Championship) and if they had lost to New York it would have been the biggest upset in GAA history.

Last edited:
Back