The flying scissor takedown that broke Yamashita's ankle.

How come it wasn't an ippon? or atleast a wazari? I know the move is banned now, but it wasn't back then...?

How come it wasn't an ippon? or atleast a wazari? I know the move is banned now, but it wasn't back then...?

Ippon for what?

He didn't even go to the ground before he broke his leg. There wasn't a throw at all in that action.

Isnt that the reason why its banned now? I read that it was because a japanes champion got injured by one and couldnt attend the olympics as a result.

ouch the only reason it was banned cuz it was yamashita that broke his ankle .

that guy is a god in japan.

Actually it was banned because there were a lot of knee injuries ... the ankle injury was unusual. You're right about Yamashita being a god in Japan ... most judoka consider him the best judoka of modern times (ahead of Kimura for instance).

Pretty impressive actually that his opponent - looked like he weighed at least 350 pounds, considering Yamashita was about 300 - could do kani basami. Not really a throw that super heavyweights were known for.

And like Thalion said, there was no throw. Instead of explaining, just watch again.

I just yelled seeing that.

Aside from that Yamashita is so smooth and graceful for a big man. In the first fight they showed he looked so relaxed fighting his opponent.

I hate this move. It is not something to be used in sparring, even if you claim you do it with 'control'. The chance of injury is just too great.

I hate this move. It is not something to be used in sparring, even if you claim you do it with 'control'. The chance of injury is just too great.

Agreed, it seems rather uncontrolled for a Judo technique.

Wow nice crunch sound.

And its weird coz we train kani basamis in class fairly frequently and i have yet to injure someone or get injured.

Most people just fall flat when you do it to them.

wow, pretty agile for such a big guy, the move is dangerous that is why even many BJJ competitions ban it as well.

oops I skipped ahead to 7:05 by mistake. Why wasn't there a score for that one I meant...?

Wow I just watched the break, ugh......I'm sketched out about that move now...

Most people just fall flat when you do it to them.

It's different when you are at a high level competition where essentially everything is on the line for you. You will fight it at all costs and injuries will happen.
Just like trying to stop an ippon and using your arm to break it in every wrong way you were told not to.

Hmhhh... ice one. Almost the same as a heelhook....

Makes sense that it is banned now...

I've seen this a lot in no-gi competition- seems like the idea is take them down right into a heel hook or achilles lock.
Is that the deal?
Anyone got instructional vids, not super "OH DAMN" highlight reels?

oops I skipped ahead to 7:05 by mistake. Why wasn't there a score for that one I meant...?

In japanese Judo (not ijf) that throw would score yuko.

I think that all japan is still under traditional kodokan rules (no koka and yuko, only wazari and ippon).

Back