The First of Its Kind

This miserable little punk was a robber and a pickpocket:

_88075508_mugshot.jpg

He is also possibly the first person to ever be posed for a mugshot. The year was 1857.

"The Little Snakesman"?

Great-great-grandfather of TJ Dillashaw?

The first laptop computer actually came out in 1981, the year I was born. It was called the Osborne 1:

640px-Osborne_1_open.jpg

osborne-1-side.jpg

It might better be described as a portable computer as it was too unwieldy to have in one's lap. Complaints included the too small screen and lack of storage space, but people that just needed it for typing stuff found it to be a very cost effective computer.
I actually had a similar one to that. A few years newer, but similar overall design.

Pretty sure it was this one
compaqI.JPG

Last edited:
This one is not a first, but a last. Though I guess a last is the start of a first. Meet Rainey Bethea:

001.jpg

This may be a picture of him enjoying his last meal which included: Fried Chicken, pork chops, mashed potatos, pickled cucumbers, corn bread, lemon pie, and ice cream. He was to be excuted the next day for the rape and murder of a 70 year old woman.

Now meet Florence Shoemaker Thompson:

640px-Florence_Thompson.jpg

She was one of the first female U.S. Sheriffs. And she was the first female U.S. Sheriff in charge of an execution. Here is an image of the execution:

article-2325294-19CEE5C9000005DC-433_634x442.jpg

20,000 people arrived to watch Rainey hang. But the execution didn't go well. The executioner arrived drunk and could barely stand. When he was told to flip the trap door lever, he didn't. It took repeated shouting at by others involved before he eventually just fell over and his body managed to hit the lever. Rainey died instantly of a broken neck. But the press of the embarrassing execution led to new legislation. The image of the execution above is an image of the U.S.A.'s last public execution.

I was looking for the oldest action photo of a boxing match. I haven't found it yet, but I did stumble on this badass photo of a couple of fighters who had a brutal war. The fighters are Ray Campbell and Dick Hyland. The year is 1913. There is color because the photo was restored to bring out this awesome image. Clearly both corners think their fighter won. But Ray Campbell (who I believe is on the right) was awarded the victory.

BRGMf85CYAAvjjs.jpg

Wow. You could have sworn that was an MMA match or a bareknuckle fight from how much blood those guys are wearing. Clearly the corners didn't believe in wiping away the blood between rounds. Hespect. Just bleed.

This one's kind of hilarious. You ever wonder, "Who are these idiots that are drawing dick pics in bathroom stalls?" Well it's been happening for millennia! Archaeologist came across the oldest erotic graffiti to date in Greece. It is a carving of a penis:

Erotic-graffiti-on-Aegean-009.jpg

But it gets better. There was also an inscription. It translates: "Nikasitimos was here mounting Timiona (Νικασίτιμος οἶφε Τιμίονα)."

Both of those are men's names :) Maybe it was the ancient equivalent of a truck stop.

1st ever cyberbullying.

Back