The Films of Kubrick

OverCoronavirus Pressure

Mayberry = War Room, WR = OT. Shit.
Banned
Reaction score
Let's talk about the films of one of the more consistently interesting and artful directors ever.

Rate them and discuss!

I think that maybe, maybe my favorite is 2001: ASO, but his films are so intentionally dense that it's hard to choose.

Spartacus, Lolita, Dr Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining and Full Metal Jacket are ALL classics.
Pretty rare for any director to have so many really excellent films.

I still haven't seen Eyes Wide Shut tho.

Spartacus, Lolita, Dr Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining and Full Metal Jacket are ALL classics.
Pretty rare for any director to have so many really excellent films.

I saw EWS when it was in theaters in '99(?) but haven't seen it since; it's what I'll be watching tonight, so I'll review it inadequately in short order.

Only film of his I don't like is Barry Lyndon. No amount of beautiful cinematography can make that movie the least bit entertaining.

I also think Full Metal Jacket is overrated. It does have one of the best first halves of any movie ever, but once boot camp ends the movie is pure average sauce. And ugh, Matthew Modine sucks. One of the worst actors of all time.

Other than that, Kubrick is pretty damn flawless. Toss up between 2001 and ACO as my personal fave. The Shining is up there as well.

Only film of his I don't like is Barry Lyndon. No amount of beautiful cinematography can make that movie the least bit entertaining.

I also think Full Metal Jacket is overrated. It does have one of the best first halves of any movie ever, but once boot camp ends the movie is pure average sauce. And ugh, Matthew Modine sucks. One of the worst actors of all time.

Other than that, Kubrick is pretty damn flawless. Toss up between 2001 and ACO as my personal fave. The Shining is up there as well.
You're right about FMJ.
Especially after boot camp the terrible, terrible acting really mars the film.

I've been enjoying the Shining lately for the impossible architecture of the hotel and the intentional continuity changes to make you feel unsettled.

The greatest filmmaker of all time. To excel in so many different genres is amazing.

The greatest filmmaker of all time. To excel in so many different genres is amazing.
Still holds the record for best science fiction film of them all. The scope and breadth of ASO is incredible, especially considering he had never done sci fi and executed it brilliantly.

I love directors that don't answer every question, who use misdirection, who leave the audience wondering about certain scenes hours after the movie lets out.

What's there to talk about? Pretty much every one of his films is excellent.

The Killing is seriously underrated.

An interesting tidbit if you didn't already know it: Kubrick insisted on shooting the interior scenes exclusively by actual candlelight instead of simulating a candlelit look. But the lenses he had were inadequate, so he went to NASA, who had special, incredibly light-sensitive lenses developed for them by Zeiss for use during the Apollo moon landings. NASA let him borrow the lenses and Kubrick was able to make his movie.

I saw EWS when it was in theaters in '99(?) but haven't seen it since; it's what I'll be watching tonight, so I'll review it inadequately in short order.

I hated Eyes Wide Shut when I first saw it. But as I've gotten older, there's something appealing about the movie in a really weird way, and I can't even put my finger on why. It's like I can't look away from it. I can't even really say that I like it exactly, but it's interesting enough that I'll watch it if I see it on tv. And the score for it is haunting. Just a couple simple piano chords.

And there are all kinds of conspiracy theories about what exactly Kubrick was trying to say with that movie. But who knows if any of them are true. Really wouldn't surprise me either way.

I hated Eyes Wide Shut when I first saw it. But as I've gotten older, there's something appealing about the movie in a really weird way, and I can't even put my finger on why. It's like I can't look away from it. I can't even really say that I like it exactly, but it's interesting enough that I'll watch it if I see it on tv. And the score for it is haunting. Just a couple simple piano chords.

And there are all kinds of conspiracy theories about what exactly Kubrick was trying to say with that movie. But who knows if any of them are true. Really wouldn't surprise me either way.

I tried to watch EWS on Netflix the other day but the volume was kind of low for some reason. Even with my TV cranked up to max the volume was still uncomfortably quiet so I just turned it off.

I want to check it out, though.

His daughter seems to fully believe it. I don't know anything about her, though. She might be a nutter.

Goat director. Paths of Glory is lesser known but amazing. 2001 is my favorite film, The Shining is the scariest film made, love Barry Lyndon, A.I. would have been much better had Kubrick completed it, Lolita is great, Dr.Strangelove is funny, droogies, horse races, I am Spartacus... And on and on...

The Shining is the scariest film made

I've seen people say this before and talk about how "terrifying" The Shining is. But is it really?

I mean, it's definitely creepy. But the scariest film ever made?

My personal ranking:

1) Barry Lyndon
2) 2001
3) Shining
4) A clockwork orange
5) FMJ
6) Eyes wide shut

All classics except maybe for eyes wide shut. Haven't watched the others yet

Back