The Films of Kubrick

The Shining is the greatest horror movie ever made imo. Jack, the score, the bizzare mixed with the terrifying, the setting.....And the best line ever..before Ahnold, before Die Hard...was "Heeeeres Johnny!"
I'm not gonna hurt ya...

It was a big reason why Clockwork was a "budget picture", with mostly natural sets. According to the DVD commentary, the studio wanted Kubrick to show he could make one, and his right hand man was like, " THIS is the budget?! You're Stanley Kubrick! "

I'm not really sure what you're saying here, but it sounds as if you're under the impression that A Clockwork Orange was made after Barry Lyndon. A Clockwork Orange was released in 1971, Barry Lyndon was his follow up, released in 1975.

Anyway, an interesting fact about Barry Lyndon is that Kubrick had always wanted to make a film about Napoleon Bonaparte, I believe it was planned as his follow up to 2001. However, in 1970 a movie about Napoleon was released called Waterloo, which tanked at the box office, and the studio decided to go back on their agreement to fund Kubrick's Napoleon film. Kubrick was understandably upset, not the least because he had done an extensive amount of research on the topic and the time period. His decision to make a book out of Thackeray's novel The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon was parting because he was able to apply some of that historical research, considering that Barry Lyndon takes place only a few decades before the time of Napoleon.

Oh and by the way, the financial letdown of Barry Lyndon did have this effect on Kubrick's career: The Shining was chosen as his next film partly because it was likely to be a commercial success as well as an artistic one.

We're talking about a guy who put a Zero Gravity Toilet instructions write-up in his film. The guy was a details mad-man.

img-121.jpg

Look at that nervous expression! Try to tell me you wouldn't have that face too!:eek:

Hahaha, in the book you get the full instructions. It's quite fascinating actually

I, too, found the second half more compelling on a rewatching.
Ermey really steals the first half of the film, and once the actors are set loose for the second, the awful, wooden dialogue reads make it seem that much worse.
But it's what Kubrick wanted. Nothing was gonna save Modine's performance, but it's what Kubrick wanted. Maybe he wanted his actors to sound like regular people.
IDK

Without the second half of the movie we would have never have gotten this beautifully choreographed sequence. I believe shadow priest is onto something when he mentions the Vietnam portion of FMJ looking gorgeous and the quality sound editing. I am inclined to agree.

He's no Roland Emmerich...

Still holds the record for best science fiction film of them all. The scope and breadth of ASO is incredible, especially considering he had never done sci fi and executed it brilliantly.

I love directors that don't answer every question, who use misdirection, who leave the audience wondering about certain scenes hours after the movie lets out.

It's crazy to think how much the films style resonates in modern culture. Steeve jobs must have been a huge fan.

The Shining is the greatest horror movie ever made imo. Jack, the score, the bizzare mixed with the terrifying, the setting.....And the best line ever..before Ahnold, before Die Hard...was "Heeeeres Johnny!"

Just made myself lol imagining Jack Nicholson sticking his head through that door and saying "yippee ki yay motherfucker" :D

1359149218_url-1.jpeg

Back