The faith of Flyweight is in Joe’s hand

Cruz beat Mighty Mouse and Joseph Benevidez. We can technically argue in circles using mmamath in every weight class to prove the lighter one is superior to the heavier one. Flyweights are definitely really fast, but I don't think many people care for it unfortunately. I hope Joseph pulls it off tomorrow especially since his opponent failed to make weight.
Fair enough, but it should be noted that Mighty Mouse and Benevidez were both really young when they fought Cruz. But then again Cruz was very young at the time as well. So I guess age wasn't much of a factor.
<Fedor23>
It's a shame, but you're right. The casuals would much rather see the bigger guys than the Bantamweights and Flyweights unfortunately. But I would much rather see two Flyweights go to war for 25 minutes than two out of shape Heavyweights gas within 2 minutes. I want to see Benevidez win too, he deserves it after all the years he has been chasing that belt.

They should trade all the FLWs to ONE for for like some a couple LWs or sumn

Fair enough, but it should be noted that Mighty Mouse and Benevidez were both really young when they fought Cruz. But then again Cruz was very young at the time as well. So I guess age wasn't much of a factor.
<Fedor23>
It's a shame, but you're right. The casuals would much rather see the bigger guys than the Bantamweights and Flyweights unfortunately. But I would much rather see two Flyweights go to war for 25 minutes than two out of shape Heavyweights gas within 2 minutes. I want to see Benevidez win too, he deserves it after all the years he has been chasing that belt.
Yeah that second loss to DJ really fucked him over, he had to go 7 years nearly undefeated (like a dominate champion over top contenders) just to get his final chance. As for HW, yeah it's always going to have a shallow top 15 but good top 5. KO power becomes a bit of a curse when big guys only want to rely on it and don't want to even learn how to kick.

Sigh, why are people obsessed with killing the Flyweight division? The Flyweights need to put food on their table too you know. Besides, why would anyone want to get rid of the Flyweights anyway? Who else can fight at the insane pace that the Flyweights fight at and who else has the crazy cardio and speed that the Flyweights have?
I get why people don't like them but come on, we have WMMA so we might as well keep FLW which has more depth and better competitors generally than those divisions at least.

Not a huge fan of them myself but they promote the FLWs much less than WMMA. This is a title fight on a Fight Night, when was the last time that happened? Its not in Vegas or NYC or anything, its in fucking Norfolk. The contender's fights are often on the prelims too, these fights are easy to avoid if you want to.

Cruz beat Mighty Mouse and Joseph Benevidez. We can technically argue in circles using mmamath in every weight class to prove the lighter one is superior to the heavier one. Flyweights are definitely really fast, but I don't think many people care for it unfortunately. I hope Joseph pulls it off tomorrow especially since his opponent failed to make weight.
I think both guys improved vastly, especially DJ. Even a green DJ, who had only been training full time for a few fights, had a competitive match with Cruz. He was a completely different fighter by the end of his rein and would've given Cruz a much tougher fight.

Idk if this has been posted but a lot of pressure is on Joe because if he loses there will be no champ and it would be the perfect opportunity for UFC to pull the plug on the division. Thoughts?
The fate*

Yeah that second loss to DJ really fucked him over, he had to go 7 years nearly undefeated (like a dominate champion over top contenders) just to get his final chance. As for HW, yeah it's always going to have a shallow top 15 but good top 5. KO power becomes a bit of a curse when big guys only want to rely on it and don't want to even learn how to kick.
Yeah, it goes to show how good DJ really was/is. He made elite fighters like Benavidez and even Cejudo in their first fight look second rate in comparison. Even with the second fight with Cejudo a lot of people (myself included) thought that DJ won that fight. It's hard to argue that DJ isn't the most complete fighter in MMA currently.
The run that Benavidez went on after the DJ fights is crazy, he is even the last guy to beat Cejudo (although that was a really close fight as well and a lot of people thought that Cejudo won that fight, but still) if anyone deserves to win the belt it's him.
It's amazing how far KO power can take you, Derrick Lewis wouldn't even be considered a top 15 fighter in an other division, yet because he is a Heavyweight and because he hits like a Mack truck he is one of the top guys in the division. Could you imagine if Francis Ngannou had decent takedown defense and he knew how to throw leg kick and work the body? He would have won the belt a long time ago and he would have defended it 3 or 4 times by now.
There is elite Heavyweights like DC and Stipe of course, but they are few and far between. I think Curtis Blades could be the champ someday, that is if he would stop standing and banging with guys like Francis and he actually used his wrestling.

Yeah, it goes to show how good DJ really was/is. He made elite fighters like Benavidez and even Cejudo in their first fight look second rate in comparison. Even with the second fight with Cejudo a lot of people (myself included) thought that DJ won that fight. It's hard to argue that DJ isn't the most complete fighter in MMA currently.
The run that Benavidez went on after the DJ fights is crazy, he is even the last guy to beat Cejudo (although that was a really close fight as well and a lot of people thought that Cejudo won that fight, but still) if anyone deserves to win the belt it's him.
It's amazing how far KO power can take you, Derrick Lewis wouldn't even be considered a top 15 fighter in an other division, yet because he is a Heavyweight and because he hits like a Mack truck he is one of the top guys in the division. Could you imagine if Francis Ngannou had decent takedown defense and he knew how to throw leg kick and work the body? He would have won the belt a long time ago and he would have defended it 3 or 4 times by now.
There is elite Heavyweights like DC and Stipe of course, but they are few and far between. I think Curtis Blades could be the champ someday, that is if he would stop standing and banging with guys like Francis and he actually used his wrestling.
I think Francis does have some weapons that we haven't seen yet since he tends to end fights really early. As long as he doesn't fight like he's Wanderlei Silva like he did against Stipe, I think he has a very very good chance of becoming champion.

I get why people don't like them but come on, we have WMMA so we might as well keep FLW which has more depth and better competitors generally than those divisions at least.

Not a huge fan of them myself but they promote the FLWs much less than WMMA. This is a title fight on a Fight Night, when was the last time that happened? Its not in Vegas or NYC or anything, its in fucking Norfolk. The contender's fights are often on the prelims too, these fights are easy to avoid if you want to.
I actually like WMMA, say what you want about the Flyweights and the female fighters but at least they don't gas after two minutes like the Heavyweights do.
I mean the Heavyweight division is by far the weakest division in UFC. I mean I guess there is the Women's Featherweight division but does anyone actually even count that?

I think Francis does have some weapons that we haven't seen yet since he tends to end fights really early. As long as he doesn't fight like he's Wanderlei Silva like he did against Stipe, I think he has a very very good chance of becoming champion.
Maybe, still he could work on his takedown defense more. And I would like to see him use body shots more often too.

The problem with Benavidez is he is too old, he has a lot of mileage too, he will be 37 soon, that is so old for flyweight, you need to be fast and have lighting reflexes for those tiny division, I think he will retire soon.

The div is already dead. They're doing Joe B a favor, and he deserves a belt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back