The Eyepokes Were So Much Worse Than The Sub

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
This is what people should be complaining about regarding the Palhares/Shields fight. People are focusing on the submission when he held it, what? Maybe a second late? It wasn't bad at all, if anyone else would have done it, it wouldn't be up for debate in the slightest, but anytime Palhares gets someone in a hold it is examined under a microscope.

The truly disgusting part of that fight was the blatantly intentional eyepokes. Shields eyes were getting skewered for 3 straight rounds and Palhares got a warning maybe twice, no points taken, nothing. He should have been DQ'ed for it. It was almost like Mazzagati was scared to discipline Palhares for fear of getting a limb ripped off.

If you rewatch the fight, notice Shields had not a single problem with the submission, he even complimented Palhares on the hold. What he was truly pissed about were the 10,000 eye gouges he had to endure throughout those 3 rounds. It was sickening and THAT is the only problem people should have with that fight.

Anyone else feel the same way regarding Palhares/Shields?

I didn't see the fight, are there gifs available of the eye gouging?

This is what people should be complaining about regarding the Palhares/Shields fight. People are focusing on the submission when he held it, what? Maybe a second late? It wasn't bad at all, if anyone else would have done it, it wouldn't be up for debate in the slightest, but anytime Palhares gets someone in a hold it is examined under a microscope.

The truly disgusting part of that fight was the blatantly intentional eyepokes. Shields eyes were getting skewered for 3 straight rounds and Palhares got a warning maybe twice, no points taken, nothing. He should have been DQ'ed for it. It was almost like Mazzagati was scared to discipline Palhares for fear of getting a limb ripped off.

If you rewatch the fight, notice Shields had not a single problem with the submission, he even complimented Palhares on the hold. What he was truly pissed about were the 10,000 eye gouges he had to endure throughout those 3 rounds. It was sickening and THAT is the only problem people should have with that fight.

I dont disagree but the reason every sub he puts on gets look at under a microscope is his history of being a piece of shit in regards to holding it way to long

I was happy to see Stitch back at work but he was in Palhares' corner.

Yeah, that's what I've been saying too. It's hard to see from the video, but you can tell from the marks around his eyes where those abrasions came from.

I didn't see the fight, are there gifs available of the eye gouging?

You'd seriously have to watch the whole fight. The eye goes were constant.

I used to be a Paul Harris fan but this guy is blatant with his "outside the box fighting techniques". He'd be a better street fighter than pro martial artist.

id be surprised if Paul Harris isnt cut from WSOF. He will have to go back and fight in smaller shows in Brazil

Yeah agreed 100%. Mazzagatti always does some weird shit when he refs. I think some fighters probably realize which refs will allow them to get away with more than others. I blame Mazzagatti more than I do Palhares for that, since he always seems to do something messed up in the majority of his fights and Steve seems to not know how to do his job correctly. Interesting to me that this isn't the first time Mazzagatti has reffed a Palhares fight and the times he did, something weird or crazy went down. You would think he'd know by now to really pay attention to what's going on with Palhares.

Agreed:

CLbIIRMUkAA28mp.jpg

You'd seriously have to watch the whole fight. The eye goes were constant.

I used to be a Paul Harris fan but this guy is blatant with his "outside the box fighting techniques". He'd be a better street fighter than pro martial artist.

I just watched it, pretty damn bad..

It was frustrating watching Mazagatti letting him off the hook so easily.

If you rewatch the fight, notice Shields had not a single problem with the submission, he even complimented Palhares on the hold.

I don't think this is accurate,Shields said "Not only he is a dirty fighter,but he also poked me 8 times"

So he considers Toquinho a dirty fighter even before the eye gouging...for what? My only guess is the sub.

I really can't understand people saying "1 second". First of all,he is a human being with excellent reflexes,the same reflexes and speed that allowed him to sub Salaverry in that flash. 1 second is way too much. Second,the reaction time should start when the guy is tapping,so when the ref steps in you are ready to release the hold immediately. Palhares,instead,not only CRANKS the sub after the tap,he cranks it even after the ref beats his back. Unbelievable.
And third,the "if it wasn't him people wouldn't say anything" argument. Of course people will stay more focused on that if you already did that,but I never saw a fighter involved in so many controversies for not letting a sub. So many times. In so many fights. You guys can't really tell the difference between a legit release and a BS one like this? Here are two examples,both from Palhares:

Carl. Nothing excessive.
Steve_Carl_vs._Rousimar_Palhares.gif

Shields. Total BS.
BlackandwhiteKnobbyChicken.gif

Don't tell me there is no difference!

Ps:Arkridge,who's the lady in your AV?

I just watched it, pretty damn bad..

It was frustrating watching Mazagatti letting him off the hook so easily.

Agreed. I don't understand what more it would take for Maz to deduct a point or even DQ Palhares.

I don't think this is accurate,Shields said "Not only he is a dirty fighter,but he also poked me 8 times"

So he considers Toquinho a dirty fighter even before the eye gouging...for what? My only guess is the sub.

I really can't understand people saying "1 second". First of all,he is a human being with excellent reflexes,the same reflexes and speed that allowed him to sub Salaverry in that flash. 1 second is way too much. Second,the reaction time should start when the guy is tapping,so when the ref steps in you are ready to release the hold immediately. Palhares,instead,not only CRANKS the sub after the tap,he cranks it even after the ref beats his back. Unbelievable.
And third,the "if it wasn't him people wouldn't say anything" argument. Of course people will stay more focused on that if you already did that,but I never saw a fighter involved in so many controversies for not letting a sub. So many times. In so many fights. You guys can't really tell the difference between a legit release and a BS one like this? Here are two examples,both from Palhares:

Carl. Nothing excessive.
Steve_Carl_vs._Rousimar_Palhares.gif

Shields. Total BS.
BlackandwhiteKnobbyChicken.gif

Don't tell me there is no difference!

Ps:Arkridge,who's the lady in your AV?

Chantel Jeffries, my friend.

Just got around to the DVR. Man, that shit was egregious. The eyepokes and the sub. Also, Mazzagatti is completely incompetent. Mazzagatti reffing a Palhares fight is a recipe for disaster.

What was bad is after two eye pokes mazz gave a warning and said do it again and I will take a point. Fight resumes and Paul does an eye poke and mazz just says hey watch the fingers

The eye pokes were horrible and the sub was horrible too. It took the ref 5 taps before Palhares quit cranking the sub. That is way too long especially given his history for doing that. Throw in his PED abuse and the dude should be banned from mma.

I agree but the submission was icing on the dirty fighter cake. It's about as flagrant as it could be. I don't understand how Mazzagati could let that go on. He's clearly the worst ref, how has he not been fired?

Back