The ESPN deal has been awful for MMA fans

blaseblase

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I'm looking at all these shitty Apex cards this year and wondering when's the last free card we had like this? All of the fighters on the main card were ranked, and heavyweight at that. I feel like nobody respects the Fox era but we got some banger cards out of it. The Fox cards were always loaded and the FX cards were of a higher quality than the fight nights of today. The ESPN deal has been awful for fans of MMA.

Screenshot_20240506-144613.png

shit spike tv fight night cards were better than espn. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_Ultimate_Fight_Night_2
these espn cards can deliver but so cant PFL, cage warriors, or one fc. i just expect a better pool of fighters from the "premier" fighting organization. some of these fighters are ranked 220 or higher in the world. hell tito ortiz fought little nog on spike tv free fight night.

The last UFC on ABC card was headlined by Rozenstruik.
Yeah... Well... This UFC on Fox that I pulled on random isn't all that great.

I just hate the Apex cards myself. I don't think the network matters, though if I was American I'd be pissed about the idea of paying for a premium service to then have to pay for the events too.

Reactions: HHJ
The ESPN deal and its consequences have been a disaster for MMA fans

Yeah... Well... This UFC on Fox that I pulled on random isn't all that great.

I just hate the Apex cards myself. I don't think the network matters, though if I was American I'd be pissed about the idea of paying for a premium service to then have to pay for the events too.

It's still considerably better than the fight nights we are currently getting. I believe all the fighters on the main card were ranked at the time.

Weren’t there only four Fox cards per year though? The Fuel TV, FX, Fight Pass, and FS1 cards were hardly that stacked.

I remember Cub Swanson vs. Artem Lobov headlining a card. I also remember Louis Smolka vs. Paddy Holohan headlining a card.

Last edited:
Who should I pay attention to out of the guys from Saturday's PPV? The card I just posted is far better than Saturday's card and it was free.
The UFC was at the time working on getting mainstream, Henderson vs Rampage for the unified 205 title was free. You’re just spoiled at this point.

I'm looking at all these shitty Apex cards this year and wondering when's the last free card we had like this? All of the fighters on the main card were ranked, and heavyweight at that. I feel like nobody respects the Fox era but we got some banger cards out of it. The Fox cards were always loaded and the FX cards were of a higher quality than the fight nights of today. The ESPN deal has been awful for fans of MMA.

It's a product of the sport expanding. Look at the clowns (me) who follow other sports like hockey or baseball. 90% of the games are not even memorable.

I like the free fight nights they put on there

UFC 300 > UFC 149, so mma is better now

• Haha
Weren’t there only four Fox cards per year though? The Fuel TV, FX, Fight Pass, and FS1 cards were hardly that stacked.

I remember Cub Swanson vs. Artem Lobov headlining a card.
What's wrong with Cub headlining a card? That was right after his FotY against Choi.

Screenshot_20240506-155706.png

Is this the worst card you can think of from the Fox era? You would be grateful to get a card like this today.

Back