• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Crime The Epoch Times busted for massive global money laundering scheme

HOLA

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

• The finance chief of conservative global news outlet The Epoch Times was arrested and charged with leading a yearslong scheme to launder at least $67 million in illicit funds.
  • The alleged scheme by Weidong Guan and others involved cryptocurrency, prepaid debit cards, fraudulently obtained unemployment insurance benefits and stolen personal identification information, according to federal prosecutors.
  • The money laundering scheme caused tens of millions of dollars to be transferred to bank accounts linked to the media company, prosecutors alleged.

where is @cottagecheesefan going to get his news now?!?!?!
Yeah, a few of our chuds have been fans:

You won't like them. They tell the truth.
etc.

The wikipedia summary is pretty succinct. Except I'd substitute "cult" for the "new religious movement" euphemism:

The Epoch Times is a far-right[1] international multi-language newspaper and media company affiliated with the Falun Gong new religious movement.[29] The newspaper, based in New York City, is part of the Epoch Media Group, which also operates New Tang Dynasty (NTD) Television.[30] The Epoch Times has websites in 35 countries but is blocked in mainland China.[31]

The Epoch Times opposes the Chinese Communist Party,[32][33][22] platforms far-right politicians in Europe,[9][11][22] and has supported former President Donald Trump in the U.S.;[34][35] a 2019 report by NBC News showed it to be the second-largest funder of pro-Trump Facebook advertising after the Trump campaign itself.[30][36][22] The Epoch Times frequently runs stories promoting other Falun Gong-affiliated groups, such as the performing arts company Shen Yun.[34][24][37] The Epoch Media Group's news sites and YouTube channels have promoted conspiracy theories such as QAnon, anti-vaccine misinformation[41] and false claims of fraud in the 2020 United States presidential election.
[44]

In 2022 i would get a video ad about how they were the most comprehensive news org for local elections. It was the last time i think i saw any kind of ads for them on youtube

Now, who will plaster our towns with this poster every year?

aeb0053e412d68446bd0a64e46c02cfd.jpg

Yeah, a few of our chuds have been fans:

etc.
@ocfightfan is a Trump supporter and raging lunatic so it's no great surprise

I never realized they were a real thing. Their name is so bad I assumed they were a Christian Weekly World News.

Back