The Dungeons and Dragons Megathread v2

I'd like to find a way to incorporate them in a balanced manner.

I think you're on the right track with what you have.

Couple storyline things to balance the out..aka gun control D&D style:

Guns are rare, so people want to steal them, rob the guy with the gun, kill the gun guy first.

Not sure where your PCs are getting their black powder from, but you can always "bad batch" it when convenient for you. Can be a whole arc try to find out why the powder is under or over powered, the misfires aren't because of a critical fail but bad ammo. Having a storehouse explode for fun and excitement....

Anti gun sentiment from the local rulers: make them illegal or "dishonorable". Guns are a weapon of the "enemy" so anyone with one is suspect.

If your PCs is making their own powder make the ingredients harder to get: supply shortage, monopoly, expensive as fuck...every bullet counts.

PC loaded with powder/ammo is at risk when fireballed or Red Dragoned :)

Guessing flintlock Guns, make Flint rarer.

All that boom boom puts stress on the Guns, tell the PCs the Guns themselves are only good for so many shots before needing to be repaired (costing money), they dont exactly how many shots, but you do, although they can use a skill to see if its "like new/worn/very worn/should not use/broken...a gun in disrepair misfires in a fashion of your choosing. Guns are complex machines as opposed to other gear and should require more upkeep.

I did it and I am not quite sure if I regret the decision. I introduced guns in to the campaign.

It made sense technologically as my world runs about the equivalent of 17th century Earth and it made sense in the story line as I had an unscrupulous set of dwarves arms dealing with the goblins at the behest of the drow. ( We have a bit of political intrigue in the game).

Now I need to reduce this to practice.
Regarding damage dealing, they didn't really seem much worse than the assortment of crossbows. I figured I would have a pistol do a d8 and a musket delivering a d12. This leaves room for middle ground of a bluderbus at a d10.

Misfires occur on a natty 1 for artificers. Other wielders suffer the consequence on a 1 or 2 .

Reloading takes a full round unless your an artificer with proficiency, then you can use the infusion ability and then I allow a user to substitue a reload for a move action. All weapons are single shot unless otherwise noted.

Pathfinder 1st edition was using touch AC for guns, which made guns way overpowered. I will acknowledge regular AC.

I'd appreciate any comments or ideas to make this better.
Having them be touch attacks makes sense for more modern guns, but older guns had a notable delay between pulling the trigger and the gun actually firing, and that delay could vary from shot-to-shot. So sticking with normal AC isn't a stretch as far as a rule choice goes.

Only firearms we used in my last campaign we cannons on a ship, because what's a little pirate mission without cannon.

No real explanation for why they didn't exist in siege warfare but nobody questioned it and no one wanted a gunslinger character.

Hasbro's mismanagement has led the company into looking for buyers for Dungeons & Dragons, with Chinese company Tencent, appearing to be the frontrunners on a potential list of buyers. Larian Studios, who is partially owned by Tencent, appears to be the middle man in the discussions.

Apparently while D&D seems to be in a sort of Renaissance over the last however many years, Hasbro's toy selling side of things is tanking hard and posted a string of losses.

So instead of fixing the real issue, Hasbro wants to just sell off popular, lucrative, properties to try to right the ship... although it's still sinking.

Hasbro's mismanagement has led the company into looking for buyers for Dungeons & Dragons, with Chinese company Tencent, appearing to be the frontrunners on a potential list of buyers. Larian Studios, who is partially owned by Tencent, appears to be the middle man in the discussions.

Apparently while D&D seems to be in a sort of Renaissance over the last however many years, Hasbro's toy selling side of things is tanking hard and posted a string of losses.

So instead of fixing the real issue, Hasbro wants to just sell off popular, lucrative, properties to try to right the ship... although it's still sinking.
Corporations are becoming inept to a startling degree. I can see the "Poochie pitch crew" from The Simpsons now: "We've seen a massive drop in D&D game aid and rulebook sales. The property is tanking in value. Sure it's doing better than anytime in history outside of the meteoric rise when the 5E launch, the nostalgia effect sparked by the premiere of Stranger Things, and the quarantine aspects of COVID all coincided and we're just cranking shit out now to fill niche needs of hardcore completionists but it's the household name 50 year proven IP that just isn't doing the job."

I did understand that the idea behind the D&D: Honor Among Thieves movie was to exemplify the kind of fun that comes with playing D&D but, if they want money, pay Weiss and Hickman and option out DragonLance for movies or a TV series. Next people to get their hands on that will and they'll crush bank.

Corporations are becoming inept to a startling degree. I can see the "Poochie pitch crew" from The Simpsons now: "We've seen a massive drop in D&D game aid and rulebook sales. The property is tanking in value. Sure it's doing better than anytime in history outside of the meteoric rise when the 5E launch, the nostalgia effect sparked by the premiere of Stranger Things, and the quarantine aspects of COVID all coincided and we're just cranking shit out now to fill niche needs of hardcore completionists but it's the household name 50 year proven IP that just isn't doing the job."

I did understand that the idea behind the D&D: Honor Among Thieves movie was to exemplify the kind of fun that comes with playing D&D but, if they want money, pay Weiss and Hickman and option out DragonLance for movies or a TV series. Next people to get their hands on that will and they'll crush bank.

People are getting burnt out on comic films, and D&D is on the upswing...

..I dunno...do the thing and make money...

It's not D&D that's the problem, as far as I understand it, it's everything else Hasbro does.. namely making and selling toys.

And they aren't selling toys.

Meanwhile WotC & D&D are doing good. So in order to offset their losses Hasbro is going to sell one of their more successful properties, D&D, which in the long run won't fix their issue. Just some fatshit suit is probably nearing retirement and is only worried about the short term.

I started out drawing maps for the players, but I wanted to jazz them up a bit by adding an isometric effect. They seemed to enjoy that so I tried tougher challenges along the way.
I think they do well relay the basic idea of the scene and still leave room for imagination.
And that's where modern D&D is missing the mark. It is a game to be played in the mind. All these VR augmentations removes the investment of the player and cheapens the experience.
I give my players a light framework where our imaginations can meet. Once we have a mood set by the illustration and the physical space set by a chess board, everyone gets to fill in the details on their own.

Did you draw those yourself? Well done sir. Amazing work. Wish I could draw like that.
It's much easier than you think. It had probably been 40 years since I had picked up a pencil and put it a pad. I started the same way every projects starts nowadays... with YouTube.

start out by drawing maps and adding little details like stalactites and stalagmites. Play around with the pressure you apply to the pencil. Light lines works best until you find the shape you want to illustrate. From there you can graduate to 3 dimensional shapes. Think of the old single point perspective cube we used to draw when we were young. Now rotate the cube draw it from two point perspective. Mentally, spin it around and it gives you the idea how a 3D object relates to a 2D space. From there, everything you draw fits in the cube.

Figures are much tougher to draw. For me, faces are nearly impossible. But hey, this isn't my profession.

just have fun drawing and don't be ashamed of whatever you put out. It did seem to bother Jackson Pollack.

Haven't played in quite sometime, my 2 year + group finally moved on.

My son who lives with his mom is DMing his friends and a PC in a school D&D club, so I get to DM vicariously through him. Fun being the wise Old DM, offering ideas and lesser known monster and plot suggestions...and he does all the hard work. I even sent him my PCs sheets so they can cameo in his campaign.

Part of me wants to pop in for a session online, but wouldn't want to make it weird for his friends and intrude on their time...that and I'd probably get annoyed with a teenage kid and pull some OG shit.

Haven't played in quite sometime, my 2 year + group finally moved on.

My son who lives with his mom is DMing his friends and a PC in a school D&D club, so I get to DM vicariously through him. Fun being the wise Old DM, offering ideas and lesser known monster and plot suggestions...and he does all the hard work. I even sent him my PCs sheets so they can cameo in his campaign.

Part of me wants to pop in for a session online, but wouldn't want to make it weird for his friends and intrude on their time...that and I'd probably get annoyed with a teenage kid and pull some OG shit.

Highly recommend this from my previous post:

We play online through Start Playing with Discord. GM is Riko. Excellent with very affordable prices. Link to his profile below:

Another inquiry:
My world has a limited set of 'monsters', which I think makes sense in the order of natural selection and niche. With that, i have to fill the thirst for variety with variations on a common theme that takes the form of NPCs.
I have a number of individuals and basic templates generated in D&D beyond.
Just wondering if you guys have any other vehicles for sourcing NPCs other than self generation.

Another inquiry:
My world has a limited set of 'monsters', which I think makes sense in the order of natural selection and niche. With that, i have to fill the thirst for variety with variations on a common theme that takes the form of NPCs.
Just wondering if you guys have any other vehicles for sourcing NPCs other than self generation.
There’s a ton of books out there with pre made NPCs.

Another inquiry:

What edition are you playing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back