The doctors were going to stop the fight leading into the 5th round due to Jones cut

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by markg171, Sep 22, 2013.

1. markg171

markg171 Silver Belt

[​IMG]

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/9/22/4759296/dana-white-jon-jones-john-mccarthy-begged-pleaded-doctor-UFC-165?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

2. rcranium**

rcranium** White Belt

Gus looked messed up after round 4 also.

3. Dart Feld

Dart Feld Steel Belt

Would have been a bad call if they did imo.

Crazy how the cut began from a glancing right hand that nearly didn't connect at all.

[​IMG]

4. markg171

markg171 Silver Belt

Those are the ones that cut you the most. Not particularly damaging, but they tear skin pretty easily

5. Uncommon Valor

Uncommon Valor Super Fly

You could only imagine the rage if they did.

6. Ravendarat

Ravendarat Blue Belt

I thought Gus won that fight but I would have hated for it to be stopped by cut after round 4. Also Sherdog would have EXPLODED about what a bullshit call it was etc etc etc

7. bat_country

bat_country Red Belt

This place would have exploded in rage.

8. Mozenwrath

Mozenwrath Banned Banned

Are you a doctor? What are you basing your opinion on?

9. hoyle1911

hoyle1911 Brown Belt

I'm glad Jones and Big John got the doctor to let it go. Good on them. No matter what, you don't want fights ended on technicalities.

I will say that Jon has had some close calls. Other than Hamill, which was his fault, he almost lost due to a torn arm, a broken toe, and serious cuts that could have ended the fight. Some coin flips went his way.

As far as the doctor's judgment goes, remember that Jon had to be stretchered out while Gus could walk around. So Jon was definitely in a war.

10. SongXIII

SongXIII Red Belt Platinum Member

Well, in hindsight.. he fought through and won the fifth round. How bad could it have been?

11. XgenTapOut

XgenTapOut Green Belt

I have no hate for Jon Jones personally but it's always interesting to watch massive weight cutters dominate smaller divisions then finally match up with someone their own size and get worked over.

Jones | Gustafsson
    Silva | Weidman

I really dislike watching Jones and Silva dwarfing the majority of their competition. I wish weigh in was the afternoon of the fight.

12. Dart Feld

Dart Feld Steel Belt

Jones still being able to fight effectively with the cut and the doctors trying to stop it seconds after he had just landed the best offense of either man in the fight at that point.

That on top of 5 mins being left in a title fight would have left a sour taste in everyone's mouth. I have a feeling Gus wouldn't really relish as much in such a victory if it went down like that either.

Yes, they're experts but in a case like this it boils down to a judgement call and that's how I feel about it.

13. CageSage

CageSage Red Belt

that looks alot like the Diaz cut against Noons.

14. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Red Belt

boner jones lucks out again!

15. mrpowerhouse

mrpowerhouse Purple Belt

And amazingly none of them was because of his "untested chin".

Bones' chin was tested tonight, and IMO it passed with flying colors.

16. Dman4Life8017

Dman4Life8017 Green Belt

Massive weight cutters? Really? If you want to do this, we can. Here are a few "walk around/non-training" weights for many of the Light Heavyweights

Alexander Gustafsson - 235
    Rampage Jackson - 240[He got as big as 255 once according to him]
    Jon Jones - 230
    Rashad Evans - 225[Remember, he competed on TUF as a HW. He fought at his walk around weight]
    Cyril Diabate - 245
    Shogun Rua - 230
    Lyoto Machida - 225
    Phil Davis - 235
    Glover Tiexiera - 240
    Ryan Bader - 235

I hate when people say "Oh, he should be fighting in X division. They're just cutting weight to get down to X weight class", when the fact of the matter is, the majority of the people if not ALL of them walk around at a weight that would easily qualify them for the division above theirs by a good margin. There are very few people who walk around close to the weight in which the division they fight in. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head, are Frankie Edgar[he weighs naturally 150, and had to gain weight to fight at 155], and Anthony Pettis[He naturally weighs 160lbs].

17. Bob the Saget

Bob the Saget Orange Belt

gustafsson and weidman are also huge for their division. did you dislike watching them too?

18. Stoic

Stoic Orange Belt

Not sure if troll or...

Silva is definition of not a massive weight cutter. Fought at WW before moving up to MW and can still make WW or catch weight to fight GSP. Not only that, but moved up three times to face giant LHW's like Griffin, Bonnar and Irvin. Add to that he was the smaller fighter against Franklin (fights at LHW, much thicker), Lutter (missed weight, enough said), Dan Henderson (fights at LHW and has fought and beat HW's), Chael Sonnen (fights at LHW, roids, was bigger than Shogun), Vitor (fought, fights and was champ at LHW and Yushin Okami (huge MW).

As far as Jones goes, he didn't get worked over at all in his fight vs. Gus. Gus won the 1st, but Jones edged the second, almost finished and busted open Gus in the 4th and clearly won the 5th against a gassed Gus.

19. rbastid

rbastid Brown Belt

If the doctor wanted to let it go it should be his call and slightly with the opinion of how Jon felt.

Big John on the other hand has no business dealing with medical matters. He is there to ref the fight, the doctor is there is deal with any medical issues. He shouldn't be petitioning for fighters to go on, its never been done before and with a fight this big its not good to start it, especially when there's already conspiracy theories that Dana and the UFC tell the judges how to judge the fights.

20. KNEES N ELBOWS

KNEES N ELBOWS White Belt