The doctors were going to stop the fight leading into the 5th round due to Jones cut

markg171

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
111111.gif

They took Jon out of the Octagon and took him straight to the hospital. He was in an absolute war; he's got a massive cut. I don't know if you've heard, but the doctors were going to stop the fight in the last round because of the cut. Jones begged him not to stop the fight. And from what I understand (referee John) McCarthy did too - pleaded with them not to stop the fight.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/9/22/4759296/dana-white-jon-jones-john-mccarthy-begged-pleaded-doctor-UFC-165?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Would have been a bad call if they did imo.

Crazy how the cut began from a glancing right hand that nearly didn't connect at all.

1.gif

Would have been a bad call if they did imo.

Crazy how the cut began from a glancing right hand that nearly didn't connect at all.

1.gif

Those are the ones that cut you the most. Not particularly damaging, but they tear skin pretty easily

I thought Gus won that fight but I would have hated for it to be stopped by cut after round 4. Also Sherdog would have EXPLODED about what a bullshit call it was etc etc etc

I'm glad Jones and Big John got the doctor to let it go. Good on them. No matter what, you don't want fights ended on technicalities.

I will say that Jon has had some close calls. Other than Hamill, which was his fault, he almost lost due to a torn arm, a broken toe, and serious cuts that could have ended the fight. Some coin flips went his way.

As far as the doctor's judgment goes, remember that Jon had to be stretchered out while Gus could walk around. So Jon was definitely in a war.

I have no hate for Jon Jones personally but it's always interesting to watch massive weight cutters dominate smaller divisions then finally match up with someone their own size and get worked over.

Jones | Gustafsson
Silva | Weidman

I really dislike watching Jones and Silva dwarfing the majority of their competition. I wish weigh in was the afternoon of the fight.

Are you a doctor? What are you basing your opinion on?

Jones still being able to fight effectively with the cut and the doctors trying to stop it seconds after he had just landed the best offense of either man in the fight at that point.

That on top of 5 mins being left in a title fight would have left a sour taste in everyone's mouth. I have a feeling Gus wouldn't really relish as much in such a victory if it went down like that either.

Yes, they're experts but in a case like this it boils down to a judgement call and that's how I feel about it.

I will say that Jon has had some close calls. Other than Hamill, which was his fault, he almost lost due to a torn arm, a broken toe, and serious cuts that could have ended the fight.

And amazingly none of them was because of his "untested chin".

Bones' chin was tested tonight, and IMO it passed with flying colors.

I have no hate for Jon Jones personally but it's always interesting to watch massive weight cutters dominate smaller divisions then finally match up with someone their own size and get worked over.

Jones | Gustafsson
Silva | Weidman

I really dislike watching Jones and Silva dwarfing the majority of their competition. I wish weigh in was the afternoon of the fight.

Massive weight cutters? Really? If you want to do this, we can. Here are a few "walk around/non-training" weights for many of the Light Heavyweights

Alexander Gustafsson - 235
Rampage Jackson - 240[He got as big as 255 once according to him]
Jon Jones - 230
Rashad Evans - 225[Remember, he competed on TUF as a HW. He fought at his walk around weight]
Cyril Diabate - 245
Shogun Rua - 230
Lyoto Machida - 225
Phil Davis - 235
Glover Tiexiera - 240
Ryan Bader - 235

I hate when people say "Oh, he should be fighting in X division. They're just cutting weight to get down to X weight class", when the fact of the matter is, the majority of the people if not ALL of them walk around at a weight that would easily qualify them for the division above theirs by a good margin. There are very few people who walk around close to the weight in which the division they fight in. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head, are Frankie Edgar[he weighs naturally 150, and had to gain weight to fight at 155], and Anthony Pettis[He naturally weighs 160lbs].

Jones | Gustafsson
Silva | Weidman

gustafsson and weidman are also huge for their division. did you dislike watching them too?

Jones | Gustafsson
Silva | Weidman

Not sure if troll or...

Silva is definition of not a massive weight cutter. Fought at WW before moving up to MW and can still make WW or catch weight to fight GSP. Not only that, but moved up three times to face giant LHW's like Griffin, Bonnar and Irvin. Add to that he was the smaller fighter against Franklin (fights at LHW, much thicker), Lutter (missed weight, enough said), Dan Henderson (fights at LHW and has fought and beat HW's), Chael Sonnen (fights at LHW, roids, was bigger than Shogun), Vitor (fought, fights and was champ at LHW and Yushin Okami (huge MW).

As far as Jones goes, he didn't get worked over at all in his fight vs. Gus. Gus won the 1st, but Jones edged the second, almost finished and busted open Gus in the 4th and clearly won the 5th against a gassed Gus.

I'm glad Jones and Big John got the doctor to let it go. Good on them. No matter what, you don't want fights ended on technicalities.

I will say that Jon has had some close calls. Other than Hamill, which was his fault, he almost lost due to a torn arm, a broken toe, and serious cuts that could have ended the fight. Some coin flips went his way.

As far as the doctor's judgment goes, remember that Jon had to be stretchered out while Gus could walk around. So Jon was definitely in a war.

If the doctor wanted to let it go it should be his call and slightly with the opinion of how Jon felt.

Big John on the other hand has no business dealing with medical matters. He is there to ref the fight, the doctor is there is deal with any medical issues. He shouldn't be petitioning for fighters to go on, its never been done before and with a fight this big its not good to start it, especially when there's already conspiracy theories that Dana and the UFC tell the judges how to judge the fights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back