The Disappearance of Shelly Miscavige (a Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath thread)

Yea its weird seeing her in that condition. I read an article that said she enjoyed playing Olive Oyl better than any other character. So she gets savaged by Kubrick on the set of the Shining and almost has a nervous breakdown then her next roll was as Olive Oyl in Popeye, an animated character in the land of children's make believe.

Olive_Oyl_4.jpg

So then you get this thing where she thinks the Sheriff of Nottingham is after her and he was the villain in 1973's Robin Hood.

912ddc9d6e0996f42f1c7701f0d9ccef.jpg

I'm not saying Kubrick did permanent damage to her but its a little weird multiple sources say Kubrick savaged her to get a great performance, for example they did the bar scene 125 times, and then she slowly regresses into the make believe world of children's stories. Its a sad thing to see.

That's an interesting observation. Though it's worth mentioning that she continued working for 22 years after The Shining.

I wonder where she was at mentally in, say, 1990 or 2000.

That's an interesting observation. Though it's worth mentioning that she continued working for 22 years after The Shining.

I wonder where she was at mentally in, say, 1990 or 2000.

Yea I don't know. She could have been slowly getting worse for years but hid it really well as people in that situation often do. She may have been sick but still functional for years. I might look around and see what I can find.

Yea I don't know. She could have been slowly getting worse for years but hid it really well as people in that situation often do. She may have been sick but still functional for years. I might look around and see what I can find.

If you find anything let me know.

I wonder if her mental illness was there all along, deep inside her brain, like a ticking time bomb. I wonder if she showed any signs of craziness BEFORE she filmed The Shining.

I think they physically assault you, but only if they think they can cover it up.

If they put you in a prison and restrained you they would be risking serious felony charges, and if the church is good at one thing, it's staying just inside that criminal line.

I could be wrong though. I'd love to know more from Leah or even someone who has been kept.

The Australian guy that's with Leah Remini on the show said that he spent time in the "hole" where Miscavage asked them, "Who wants to leave!?!?"

No one stepped forward. So they all stayed in solitary.

If you find anything let me know.

I wonder if her mental illness was there all along, deep inside her brain, like a ticking time bomb. I wonder if she showed any signs of craziness BEFORE she filmed The Shining.

Everything I'm finding is saying she hasn't acted on screen since 2002 so its been 15 years. Since then she has descended into whatever it is that is plaguing her.

In the clip, Duvall makes some wild claims. She tells Dr. Phil she doesn't believe her former Popeye co-star Robin Williams is actually dead but simply "shape shifting." She says she's seen Williams, someone she loved deeply, since his reported death. She also claims that a villain from Robin Hood folklore is threatening her, and that she has a whirring disc in her leg.

Some have described her as unrecognizable, if you saw her on the street you would not know you were talking to Shelly Duvall.
shelley-duvall-battle-mental-illness.jpg

Duvall was also quoted as saying, "If I say I'm healthy, the first thing they'll do is hurt me tonight," Duvall says, unclear about who "they" are.

I kinda grew up watching Shelly Duvall so some of this is kinda hard to read.

Dressed in sweatpants and a T-shirt, the two-time Emmy-nominated actress appears almost unrecognizable from the slender starlet many fans remember her as. While Dr. Phil points to her deteriorating health as a possible cause, Duvall claims that someone has changed her appearance in the middle of the night.

"I was a pretty girl," Duvall says. "I was beautiful."

"Shelley, you're still beautiful," Dr. Phil assures her.
http://www.etonline.com/tv/203222_i...ealthy_the_first_thing_they_ll_do_is_hurt_me/

I'll always remember her like this.

shelley2.jpg

Everything I'm finding is saying she hasn't acted on screen since 2002 so its been 15 years. Since then she has descended into whatever it is that is plaguing her.

In the clip, Duvall makes some wild claims. She tells Dr. Phil she doesn't believe her former Popeye co-star Robin Williams is actually dead but simply "shape shifting." She says she's seen Williams, someone she loved deeply, since his reported death. She also claims that a villain from Robin Hood folklore is threatening her, and that she has a whirring disc in her leg.

Some have described her as unrecognizable, if you saw her on the street you would not know you were talking to Shelly Duvall.
shelley-duvall-battle-mental-illness.jpg

Duvall was also quoted as saying, "If I say I'm healthy, the first thing they'll do is hurt me tonight," Duvall says, unclear about who "they" are.

I kinda grew up watching Shelly Duvall so some of this is kinda hard to read.

Dressed in sweatpants and a T-shirt, the two-time Emmy-nominated actress appears almost unrecognizable from the slender starlet many fans remember her as. While Dr. Phil points to her deteriorating health as a possible cause, Duvall claims that someone has changed her appearance in the middle of the night.

"I was a pretty girl," Duvall says. "I was beautiful."

"Shelley, you're still beautiful," Dr. Phil assures her.
http://www.etonline.com/tv/203222_i...ealthy_the_first_thing_they_ll_do_is_hurt_me/

I'll always remember her like this.

shelley2.jpg

Wow. That is just crazy.

Like you say, it's sad to see. The whole subject of mental illness is terrifying to me. The idea that your mind can essentially go rogue and turn against you just scares the shit out of me. It's this thing that can happen and there's very little you can do to stop it. If we can't control our own minds--our consciousness--then we really are just not in control. We are along for a ride in this life, under the sway of factors that we often aren't even aware of.

It was hard to watch the guy who's brother died while in scientology, after he had broken away from it. Seeing him break down over how he never got to apologize to his brother was hard.
The thing from that interview that really sticks with me is when he described showing up to the funeral and most of his brother's friends didn't even know he had a twin brother, and that the girlfriend almost feinted when he walked in the door because of it. That must have been such an agonizing and surreal situation to be in.

Miscavige is 5'1" and nobody has spiked him on his head for being a bitch?

I walk by a Christian Science Reading Room and a large Scientology building all the time. Then I realize I also walk by a shit ton of various churches as well. I think the parallel is real.

The thing from that interview that really sticks with me is when he described showing up to the funeral and most of his brother's friends didn't even know he had a twin brother, and that the girlfriend almost feinted when he walked in the door because of it. That must have been such an agonizing and surreal situation to be in.

Just seeing the genuine anguish the guy was in over the whole thing made me sad for him. Seems like he's never going to forgive himself

Wow. That is just crazy.

Like you say, it's sad to see. The whole subject of mental illness is terrifying to me. The idea that your mind can essentially go rogue and turn against you just scares the shit out of me. It's this thing that can happen and there's very little you can do to stop it. If we can't control our own minds--our consciousness--then we really are just not in control. We are along for a ride in this life, under the sway of factors that we often aren't even aware of.

Yup it's a mind fuck. When I think about how it's influenced the course of my life since childhood, I feel like I never had a chance.

I was thinking about suicide by age 8, and had symptoms of ocd and bpd by age 12. I remember standing in front of the mirror repeating "this is me, I am Michael" trying to convince myself I was real and in control of everything, not watching a character in a movie.

Or laying in bed at night trying to reassure myself that invisible germs and parasites weren't swarming me from all angles, fighting the urge to get up and shower again.

Yet 99.9% of the time when I have irrational thoughts I'm aware how irrational they are, so that keeps me sane and very lucid. A lot of crazy folks don't have that, and when I look at them I wonder why not, and if I'll eventually degrade to that mental state.

The Australian guy that's with Leah Remini on the show said that he spent time in the "hole" where Miscavage asked them, "Who wants to leave!?!?"

No one stepped forward. So they all stayed in solitary.

Isn't that some shit?

I walk by a Christian Science Reading Room and a large Scientology building all the time. Then I realize I also walk by a shit ton of various churches as well. I think the parallel is real.

What parallel are you speaking of?

Yup it's a mind fuck. When I think about how it's influenced the course of my life since childhood, I feel like I never had a chance.

I was thinking about suicide by age 8, and had symptoms of ocd and bpd by age 12. I remember standing in front of the mirror repeating "this is me, I am Michael" trying to convince myself I was real and in control of everything, not watching a character in a movie.

Or laying in bed at night trying to reassure myself that invisible germs and parasites weren't swarming me from all angles, fighting the urge to get up and shower again.

Yet 99.9% of the time when I have irrational thoughts I'm aware how irrational they are, so that keeps me sane and very lucid. A lot of crazy folks don't have that, and when I look at them I wonder why not, and if I'll eventually degrade to that mental state.

That sucks man, sorry you have to go through that. I've had some struggles of my own, but more along the lines of general depression.

Do you still have to deal with a lot of that or have things gotten better for you as time went on?

Well yea that was the accusation against Dr. Phil. We live in that sort of time period though right? People plaster their own lives willingly all over Facebook. Its to the point where they take pics of the food they are eating just to post that online. I find this entire generation kinda disturbing. If they so much as run to the store for a 6-pack they feel the need to Tweet that out.

Dr. Phil should have known better because he is a professional. Gotta get them ratings though if you want a new house and a new boat.
FWIW, I'm an older Millennial and I don't do that crap at all, but my mom, who's a Baby Boomer, annoys me by doing that crap all the time. Like when I go out with her, before I can dig in, I have to wait so she can take pics of the food first.

That it's all the same shit, and it's only the timeline of events makes us fell like one ideology is more valid than the other.

I'd say all religions have committed their share of atrocities throughout history, but this is Scientology's time. Clearly what they're doing here and now in the modern world is something particularly noteworthy.

I guess time will tell if the Church collapses and fades away or finds a way to get through this and survive. Personally, I don't think it will survive--at least not in any significant way--but who knows. Maybe 200 years from now it will be regarded as a religion like any other.

FWIW, I'm an older Millennial and I don't do that crap at all, but my mom, who's a Baby Boomer, annoys me by doing that crap all the time. Like when I go out with her, before I can dig in, I have to wait so she can take pics of the food first.

Older Millenials represent!

I'm with you. Sans the mom part.

Back