"The death of a man that sang and played the guitar...

2fast2see

Brown Belt
Reaction score
over-shadows the news...."

This is how Walter Cronkite(the most respected man in journalism)described the death of John Lennon!

What arrogance!

It's almost as if he is bothered by having to report on a cultural icon that everybody likes vs the more "important" happenings in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yeiu7A41Tlw

Listen to the first 10 seconds.

Because i care about what Walter Cronkite thinks and says

I've always liked the Beatles and there really isn't much to be upset about with what Cronkite says here as it's more or less accurate.

Besides, liberal activism aside, it's not like John Lennon was some shining example of keen judgement. I mean, would Yoko Ono have ever been relevant if it weren't for John? :p

Have you been waiting 32 years to get this off your chest?

I've always liked the Beatles and there really isn't much to be upset about with what Cronkite says here as it's more or less accurate.

Besides, liberal activism aside, it's not like John Lennon was some shining example of keen judgement. I mean, would Yoko Ono have ever been relevant if it weren't for John? :p

This.

I mean, in the scope of things, Cronkite was right.

How do you think John Lennon would have announced Walter Cronkite's death on the air? Im sure Lennon would have given half a dam about Cronkite too.

Good for Cronkite. Lets get some perspective here when it comes to musicians and other celebrities.

Most musicians are useless pieces of shit. There are a lot more important events in the world than some retarded monkey who writes a tune and gets paid millions of dollars for it.

I wish there were more Walter Cronkites in the news. The celebrity culture and the herd that follow them need to be taken down a few notches.

Lennon was a drug addicted,narcissistic, selfish, whiny asshole, and a deadbeat father who abandoned his first wife and kids. Sure he wrote a few catchy songs but I see no reason to put this immature turd on a pedestal.

Good for Walter Cronkite.

The media sells you the lie that celebrities are better than you. They are merely scumbags with personal stylists and PR people. At least Cronkite had the balls to go against the grain and speak some truth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish there were more Walter Cronkites in the news. The celebrity culture and the herd that follow them need to be taken down a few notches.
The media sells you the lie that celebrities are better than you. They are merely scumbags with personal stylists and PR people. At least Cronkite had the balls to go against the grain and speak some truth.

You speaketh the truth.

He's right though. That was actually a great line by him. Totally owned Lennon.

Good for Cronkite. Lets get some perspective here when it comes to musicians and other celebrities.

Most musicians are useless pieces of shit. There are a lot more important events in the world than some retarded monkey who writes a tune and gets paid millions of dollars for it.

Lennon was a drug addicted,narcissistic, selfish, whiny asshole, and a deadbeat father who abandoned his first wife and kids. Sure he wrote a few catchy songs but I see no reason to put this immature turd on a pedestal.

Good for Walter Cronkite.

You've got your wires crossed a bit here. You're speaking out against celebrity worship, but your tirade about John makes it clear that you hate him as much as people worship him. Get a grip.

You've got your wires crossed a bit here. You're speaking out against celebrity worship, but your tirade about John makes it clear that you hate him as much as people worship him. Get a grip.

I'm going to repeat that so that I have clarity tonight!

Are you making the point that by speaking out against celebrity culture I am exactly the same as the people that worship celebrities ?

Where in my post did I write the words "I hate John Lennon"? I own a John Lennon Box set and a 2-Disc greatest hits compilation. Lennon wrote some really good songs. I enjoy his music. I just won't get on my knees and worship him as though he were a god. It doesn't bother me when a news caster doesn't treat him like a god either.

Lennon gets enough praise. My words written in a forum won't hurt his album sales or change people's views on him.

I understand I went over the top regarding my focus on the negative qualities of John Lennon. I was being hyperbolic in order to draw attention to my post and invoke strong feeling in the reader. It wasn't meant to be taken literally.

Walter Cronkite wasn't part of Lennon's ridiculous woodstock/hippy generation.

Reminds me of the slobber fest over Kurt Cobain when he offed himself: candlelight vigils and a bunch of reporters saying things like "He was the voice of the generation". Fuck that shit.

I'm going to repeat that so that I have clarity tonight!

Are you making the point that by speaking out against celebrity culture I am exactly the same as the people that worship celebrities ?

Where in my post did I write the words "I hate John Lennon"? I own a John Lennon Box set and a 2-Disc greatest hits compilation. Lennon wrote some really good songs. I enjoy his music. I just won't get on my knees and worship him as though he were a god. It doesn't bother me when a news caster doesn't treat him like a god either.

Lennon gets enough praise. My words written in a forum won't hurt his album sales or change people's views on him.

I understand I went over the top regarding my focus on the negative qualities of John Lennon. I was being hyperbolic in order to draw attention to my post and invoke strong feeling in the reader. It wasn't meant to be taken literally.

To interject, you bashing his character as if he's some villain is just as bad someone worshiping him as a hero.

You are doing the same thing, just on another spectrum. You are making a celebrity more than he is, which contradicts your whole point.

To interject, you bashing his character as if he's some villain is just as bad someone worshiping him as a hero.

You are doing the same thing, just on another spectrum. You are making a celebrity more than he is, which contradicts your whole point.

What can be done ?

Howard Cosell handled it pretty good. He took a few seconds to say what happened, mention that he had met and liked the guy and went right back to the game.

Back