Media The Day Takada Coned Berbick... (B4 Coning Mayweather this week) #25

floyd conned everyone.

Came in outta shape and still whipped that little guys ass.

9 million for a couple of minutes work.

UFC did the same thing to Ray Mercer ... look at his reaction (face).

Mercer didn't fight in the UFC and Mercer didn't sign the contract to fight without leg kicks. It was just something he himself tried to negotiate with Tim Sylvia. He said Sylvia agreed but we don't know that for sure.

Mayweather was delayed at least an hour before the fight could start. I wonder if Rizin tried to change the rules at the last minute to favor Tenshin which caused the delay.

The Takada - Berbick affair took place on the same card as this match between Masa Funaki & an out of shape Roberto Duran. Again, from what I was told it was supposed to be a work but Duran got doublecrossed as well during which Funaki injured Duran's shoulder. Which caused a delay in Duran's fight in my hometown of Buffalo for which I was supposed to a sparring partner. Which is a disappointment to me to this day because by the time Duran was healed up enough to fight that September of '92 I'd dislocated my knee while training which prevented me from working with him. I got to meet & hang out with him but never got to share a ring with him.
IMG_20170926_140549.jpg

The Takada - Berbick affair took place on the same card as this match between Masa Funaki & an out of shape Roberto Duran. Again, from what I was told it was supposed to be a work but Duran got doublecrossed as well during which Funaki injured Duran's shoulder. Which caused a delay in Duran's fight in my hometown of Buffalo for which I was supposed to a sparring partner. Which is a disappointment to me to this day because by the time Duran was healed up enough to fight that September of '92 I'd dislocated my knee while training which prevented me from working with him. I got to meet & hang out with him but never got to share a ring with him.
View attachment 498711

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-day-leg-lock-master-met-manos-de-piedra.3876141/

View attachment 498711

IIRC, Takada vs Berbick was in 1991, and Funaki vs Duran in 1992.

IIRC, Takada vs Berbick was in 1991, and Funaki vs Duran in 1992.
Thanks, my bad. I thought they were both on the same card in which a group of boxers were brought over to take part in works & wound up in shoots. I think James Warring was involved & Matthew Saad Muhammad as well. Was the Funaki - Duran match a part of that card or was that a part of the Takada - Berbick card? I can't recall. What I do remember is that the boxers were all pissed off about the doublecross. At least from what I heard.

Thanks, my bad. I thought they were both on the same card in which a group of boxers were brought over to take part in works & wound up in shoots. I think James Warring was involved & Matthew Saad Muhammad as well. Was the Funaki - Duran match a part of that card or was that a part of the Takada - Berbick card? I can't recall. What I do remember is that the boxers were all pissed off about the doublecross. At least from what I heard.
IIRC,

Takada vs Berbick was in December 22, 1991.
Funaki vs Duran was in April 19, 1992..
Saad vs Tamura was in May, 8 1992

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-day-saad-muhammad-promised-a-ko-against-tamura.3875713/

Thanks, man. I appreciate the info.
What about the James Warring match vs Billy something? Do you know if that was on the Funaki - Duran card?

View attachment 498711

what did he say about the Funaki bout? or other stories maybe? about SRL...

Well, although he does speak a lot more English than he lets on it was pretty broken so there was a bit of a language barrier. All I can tell you for certain is that he was very pissed off about how it went down & he complained about the money as well. Apparently, he wasn't too happy with it. Especially since he got injured in the process.
And, by that time in his career, he didn't say too much about Leonard other than the obligatory complimentary things.

Well, although he does speak a lot more English than he lets on it was pretty broken so there was a bit of a language barrier. All I can tell you for certain is that he was very pissed off about how it went down & he complained about the money as well. Apparently, he wasn't too happy with it. Especially since he got injured in the process.
And, by that time in his career, he didn't say too much about Leonard other than the obligatory complimentary things.
but was he tricked indeed? Did they really explain him the ruleset?
There was some controversy there...

It's my understanding that he was doublecrossed somehow. But, Otherwise, he wouldn't have gotten hurt. And he had it in a sling for quite a while.

It's my understanding that he was doublecrossed somehow. But, Otherwise, he wouldn't have gotten hurt. And he had it in a sling for quite a while.
hmm yeah..he had no clue about what was goin´on on the ground, and probably didnt know how/when to tap, realistically...

Back